But if you could bring one of them back, which one would you pick – the multiple champion, the irrepressible firebrand or the fallen hero?
The argument for bringing Schumacher back is simple – he’s the most successful Grand Prix driver ever and in his scintillating final race at Interlagos last year he proved he had lost none of his verve.
So much of Jacques Villeneuve’s career was wasted at BAR that it’s hard to remember his golden days of 1996/7 – but I’d have that earlier Villeneuve back in a flash.
My number one choice would be Juan Pablo Montoya. He quit too soon, and I genuinely believe that future generations of F1 cars without traction control and, hopefully soon, less downforce, would reward his aggressive style. Plus, he was a sublime overtaker, and utterly unpredictable.
Which of the three would you like to see return?
- Debate: Should Ecclestone buy SIlverstone?
- Debate: Are F1 races too long?
- Debate: Is Fernando Alonso a good world champion?
- Debate: Can Lewis Hamilton be world champion?
- Debate: Friday Man
- Debate: When did you start watching F1?
- Debate: Traction control’s gone: What’s next?
- Debate: Death TV