Debate: The best ITV F1 title theme tune

ITVA light-hearted debate this afternoon, I thought.

ITV have been bringing F1 races to us in Britain live for over a decade. From the original funky Jamiroquai theme, to the Bachman Turner Overdrive remix, to today’s Moby tune, which is the best?

Check out the videos below and pick your favourite.

ITV F1 theme 1997-9

ITV F1 theme 2000-2

ITV F1 theme 2003-5

ITV F1 theme 2006-present

I like the second one most which is “Blackbeat” by Apollo 440. But I also liked the original Jamiroquai tune (and what an excellent choice petrolhead musician to compose it).

I’m a big fan of Moby’s early work, but the current theme “Lift Me Up” only reminds just how far downhill he’s gone. I never liked the Bachman Turner Overdrive version.

But here’s the crucial question – are any of them better than the BBC’s classic theme, “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac?

Related links

Tags: / / / /

38 comments on Debate: The best ITV F1 title theme tune

1. Ray Leach said on 26th August 2007, 11:37

you just cant beat the chain it fits F1 so well!!!!

2. Anita Holford said on 30th September 2007, 20:28

The chain is the F1 theme tune, but that could be because it was when i started watching it, but i think the current tune is by far the best itv tune. I’m glad I stumbled across this site as i’ve been wondering for ages who did it.

3. Mikey J said on 4th October 2007, 18:59

Wasn’t there another one? I was sure that when Button started and he was seeing that Louise girly that she did one of the themes at least for a short time? Or am I just an old man and and my ears are getting weak?

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 4th October 2007, 21:02

I think you’re right Mikey – it was a one-off though if I remember correctly.

5. Dave S said on 6th October 2007, 21:09

the best theme tune by far was chains by fleetwood mac that was usedby the bbc they got it just right. as for the commentators murrey walker will never be beaten, his enthusiasm and love of the sport was shown throughout his broadcasting carrer. all i can say is murrey for prime minister !!

6. Robert McKay said on 6th October 2007, 21:38

The Apollo 440 one is the best ITV one, I think. Jamiroquai’s was very good too. The others have got progressively cheesier. The lastest one isn’t helped by the very camp pictures associated with it though :-D

On a tangential note, given (a) how well Hamilton is doing and (b) how much of an average ITV F1 show is given over to talking about him, then it’s a bit odd they have only a split second shot of him in their titles this year. And Davidson’s picture is literally a subliminal image it’s so quick. It’s just odd DC and Button feture so prominently when, well, they don’t feature quite so prominently on race day.

7. nellyweb said on 18th October 2007, 11:09

They are all pretty sucky once they get going. The chain was the best by far.

But, here’s the weird thing – don’t you just get goosebumps from the opening bars of all of them?

Bring on Brazil!!

8. definately the fleetwood mac theme tune is the best and only one for me ! when the DUMMMM ! der der dum der der der der der dum …..was heard its only one thing,the grand prix is about to start..

9. Barry Hartman said on 16th November 2007, 12:06

There is only one theme “The Chain”

The rest are only also-rans at best or totally irrelevant to racing of any kind.

Some of the graphics aren’t bad just so long as you do not suffer from epilepsy or something equivalent.

10. The Chain all the way.

11. Mikey J, the tune you are thinking of is "Catch Me If You Can", sung by Louise Griffiths, played during the closing sequence of the 2004 Australian Grand Prix and the opening sequence of the next race, the 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix.
     I quite liked it – even though it wasn’t really a racing tune, it had a good beat and Louise was listenable.

12. Fleetwood Mac "The Chain" beats all the rest like the BBC coverage without the adverts !

13. Harry said on 19th April 2008, 18:07

hey does anyone have a link to the formula one intro where the chain is playing… as the formula one car is just coming over the horizon… and the heat waves are there?… i loved that intro and i cant find it anywhere…

14. Hollie said on 27th April 2008, 21:36

the chain is by far my favourite, this is how i first remember formula 1! definatley don’t like the new moby theme, i just don’t get how it fits the programme.

15. Alex said on 6th July 2008, 13:03

ok, i started watching F1 in 2000 and that apollo440 tune blackbeat is amazing fits so well with dark beats ive heard the chain but many people will love that because they simply grew up hearing that, blackbeat seemed modern with electro sounds and rock influences, it literally got me revved up for the race, 97-99 tune is decent especialy at the end after a slow start,

agreed that the current moby tune is quite pathetic, cheesy and does not suit f1, please no lyrics for future productions in the titles and the video is awful realy good ideas but for me it doesnt work, when overdrive took over i was so dissapointe i thought very cheesy to be honest and when I heard ‘lift me up’ couldnt believe anything could be worse but it was, blackbeat all the way and the video is the best aswell or maybe 97-99

16. john peacock said on 2nd February 2009, 21:07

itv.s theme tune by moby ” lift me up “is my favourite it will be interesting to see what the bbc come up with if anyones got any ideas whos going to write it i would interested to find out

17. i love theme tune it is brillant 2003-2008 were my fav fleetwood mac is fav but can anyone tell me were i could by a cd with the f1 theme tune plaease