Winkelhock will partner compatriot Adrian Sutil – the pair being among five German drivers on the grid at the Nurburgring.
His father Manfred raced in F1 in the 1980s but was killed in a sports car crash in 1985.
Winkelhock may only have the seat for one race as another of Spyker’s four test drivers, Adrián Vallés, has been linked with the seat at the Hungaroring in two weeks’ time.
- Markus Winkelhock biography
- European Grand Prix 2007 preview & TV times
- F1′s famous names return
- Spyker officially drop Albers
- F1 driver line-up changes for 2008
- Superstars with super names
- F1: It’s nepo-tastic!
- Spyker – Markus Winkelhock to debut for Etihad Aldar Spyker Formula One Team at Nurburgring (external)