Video: What did Massa say to Alonso?

Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso, Nurburgring, 2007Here’s video footage of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso’s argument after the European Grand Prix.

Alonso passed Massa with a handful of laps to spare at the Nurburgring, taking the lead from him in a smart pass around the outside at the Valvoline Kurve that ended with the two banging wheels.

It looked to me that if anyone had a right to be angry about it, it was Alonso, who was clearly ahead of Massa when the Ferrari touched the McLaren. But Massa looks like the agitated one, although I can’t tell what they’re saying. Any interpreters out there?

Video not working? Let us know.

Related links

32 comments on Video: What did Massa say to Alonso?

1. Definitely all in the way you see it. ;)

2. sam said on 24th July 2007, 15:54

I’m shocked at how everyone is so surprised over Alonso. It’s like none of you have ever been in a high pressure situation before!! He has a right to be a little annoyed or upset over the matter. Good for him for saying something to Massa. Let him know he won’t ignore his inane tactics anymore.

3. Yeah, Alastair, it’s a shame Alonso isn’t as dull and listless as Raikkonen. Perhaps one day Fernando will learn that he has to act as he is at a funeral when he wins a race. Shame on him for showing emotion.

lol, true.

I enjoyed the little spat and finger wagging at the end. F1 really needs some of these characters.

4. All is good with celebrating a victory. You can jump like a soccer fan all you want. Fine.

What is NOT good is rubbing your victory on the rest of the field, you know, comments like “My only regret is that we didn’t beat Ferrari by more time” and “I’m very happy this things happen to my teammate and specially in england”… Alonso has said a lot of this kind of stuff, particularly on spanish tv and radio.

You can win, you can celebrate, you can be one of the best drivers (btw, most pundits rate Kimi higher than Alonso, Alonso is not the greatest driver of this era, that would be Schumi) but there is really no need to be an utter sucker, arrogant little boy is it?

Now, considering all that, and the things we don’t see, is understandable that Massa send him to take a **** (literally, he didn’t use the F word, and Alonso also send him to do the same).

That is the real shame, the attitude Alphonso takes when he wins. And let’s not forget than when he’s not wining then “Lewis is getting a better car, the team is leaning towards him…” BOLLOCKS.

He’s a terrific driver, very agressive, I like the way he drives. But he has the brain of a 5 year old, a very spoiled one. I really like Lewis beatting the crap out of him. Oh yes, check the standings.

Kimi on the other hand, would have said something like “yes this things happen, he touched me, there’s no big deal, fortunately we both finished the race”.

An educated attitude.

5. Ali AydoÄŸan said on 24th July 2007, 19:15

We all know that Massa and Alonso already have a tension since the very first days of Massa in Ferrari. Remember Massa spinned and went very close to hit Alonso after late braking but they could avoid collision then in Bahrain. Everybody remembers what happened in last year’s Monza GP I guess. Also in MagnyCours 2006, Massa spoke about the incident of two in the 2nd corner “He had more to lose” which could have driven Alonso somehow crazy I guess, after having his front right tyre on the grass. Alonso was probably frustrated in some races by being held by Massa (which is legal and normal in F1) more than Fisico held (or could hold?) Schumacher in 2006. 2007 Spanish GP is also another case btw these two. So having these incidents, they obviously hate each other on track, maybe outside too :)

For the Nürburgring touch, helicopter camera video gives the best angle. You can see there two cars are side by side, Alonso a small distance forward than Massa. But a few meters before the touch, one of them approaches the otherside. Guess who?

On the tension before podium, I prefer Alonso telling Massa that it was intentional, than pretending to be the best friends out there which is not he case. These drivers-excluding a few of them-have huge egos, these kind of things are normal after stressful 2 hours, and I hope we see some more tension if it is to bring more fights on track :)

Kimi is absolutely calmer and reacts less than Alonso but I am not sure he would say “these things happen” if he thought he was hit intentionally?
    Would he?

6. If you remember 2005 and 2006, Kimi had the worst of lucks, and ALWAYS said “these things happen, this is racing” and never “the car just don’t work” Wich, for instance, Alonso has said.

So, I think yes, Kimi would said that too after an intentional indicent.

Besides, this is F1, you really can’t tell if it was intentional, not until you check the videos and read the telemetry. It might be unintentional, Massa could have just lost the car, I don’t know, I don’t have access to the telemetry. So Alonso is even wronger, he can’t tell if it was on purpose (at least in that moment).

We’re watching the very best drivers in the world, one would expect them to react like civilized people, not like monkeys. Rofl pushing the marshall? The thing with Speed and his pit crew? If you want to see fingers and punches, then switch to nascrap and champ car, there’s plenty of that there. I really think there’s no room for that behaviour off track in F1.

7. Dan M said on 24th July 2007, 20:02

Why is everyone complaining about Alonso whining? If it got under Massa’s skin then all the power to him….. There not teammates he should be irritating him.

I think Massa was unhappy because he thought he deserved that race, and the tires did him in. That and the fact that he didn’t think Alonso was going to try to pass on the outside in the rain, especially on such crap wet tires.

This incident made me like both drivers more. I like the fire that Massa shows, maybe its a bit immature but at least we don’t question his drive to succeed. Alonso was amazing, he showed his poise all race and then made the pass when the door opened.

Personally I don’t see what the big deal is, they both finished didnt they? Rubbing is Racing.

8. Ali AydoÄŸan said on 24th July 2007, 21:13

I like Kimi as a driver and as a human, he is a nice guy. He could stay calm (maybe did nont show his anger) in DNFs due to mechanical problems he had in McLaren especially in 2005 and it is true he did not speak much about them. But I think he may (and he should) behave in a different way if he loses the title after he thinks somebody hits him. If he feels there is something unfair against him, he should speak about it and people should talk about it.

About telemetry thing, I dont think they need it, they both know what happened there and both have no doubts about it, which I think is the case in most incidents.

Nobody want monkeys there, nobody wants boxers there, but I also do not want to see racers congratulating each other just to show that they are gentlemen, even if they feel different out there. It is F1, it is tension itself….

9. Really? Well, I see BMW saying they will look at the telemetry and THEN sit the drivers down and talk things over, so they running into each other doesn’t happen again. Why? They say because each driver has a completely different and formed point of view.
    And THEY are teammates.

So, you see, in F1 is not as easy as “they both know what happened there”. Massa surely does. Fernando doesn’t. He only asumes Massa hit him intentionally.

Everyone is complaining about Alphonso’s attitude because we want quality champions, in every sense of the word. We don’t want crybabies who rub their victories over the face of their competitors.

Do you see Lewis complaining that Alonso is getting the better car everytime he loses? No.
    Do you see Alonso complaining that Lewis is getting the better car everytime he loese? Yes.

10. Nikos Darzentas said on 24th July 2007, 22:37

I blame Keith for providing the spark for such discussions… cunning :-)

some very good points above, and some not so, but I won’t elaborate, there’s no point, because we’re all F1 fanatics (.co.uk) and we need to agree to disagree

I miss Schumi, I like Massa as a package, probably Kimi even more, and I think Ron’s children are supreme drivers but have annoying personalities outside the car with arrogance (disguised in Lewis, hanging out there in Alonso) a common theme – and I’m a Ferrari fan, but honestly this has nothing to do with it

anyway, I don’t REALLY mind any of that since they can look as stupid as they want outside the cockpit, I just enjoy watching 4 drivers with 4 brilliantly different styles banging wheels out on track (and then fighting about it :D)

11. Well said Nikos!

12. Number 38 said on 26th July 2007, 0:21

Man! Am I a fool? I read all 26 postings……all over NOTHING!!!!

13. Alonso was never reported as claiming Hamilton was receiving a better car. He was reprted for syaing he was getting better support from the team, obvious enough.

I’m sick of this Alonso is a whinger stuff. ANyone who’s been watching F1 for the last 15 years at least can tell you, Schumacher was a (probably the biggest) whinger… go back earlier, Prost was a Whinger, Senna was a Whinger, Mansell was a Whinger,Hakkinen was a Whinger, Villeneuve was a Whinger, only champion in recent times that was the least whinging was HILL!!!,,

In F1 these days, the award for biggest Whinger is Scott Speed, remember the Radio Transmission aired (Speed and his engineer) just before the formation lap at the Montreal Grand Prix!!!!

14. Hmmm, Scott’s in good company, it seems – should be a world champion any day now!

15. Carlos said on 27th July 2007, 19:19

HAPLO,

Stop throwing all that garbage at us. I hope someone paid to to so, the alternative doesn’t leave you a decent position. I cannot even start figuring out what drives you to say things like:

False and racist statement:
    He is not very fluent in english, but that is a cultural thing, spanish people don’t like english/america very much, they are very conservative about stuff like that, and their accent is more like reading english in spanish, not giving it the proper accent. For example, he calls Lewis “Luis”, the spanish more similar sound. I really hate that, bollocks if you ask me.

You’re lying again, can you point JUST A SINGLE link to any of the Spanish media?

Again, I dont know what you get from your intoxication, but I cannot understand those biased comments.

Cheers