Hamilton cleared over Fuji crash

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren-Mercedes, Fuji Speedway, 2007 | DaimlerLewis Hamilton will not receive a punishment over the crash involving Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in the Japanese Grand Prix (see the video here).

Vettel, who had been given a ten place grid penalty for hitting Webber, saw his penalty rescinded – he instead received a reprimand.

Before the verdict Hamilton gave his explanation of the incident and reaction to the furore: “If you look, I did it every lap, that’s the line I raced on because it was the dry line and that’s probably why I won. There was less water there but I always caught the pace car up.

“I pulled up alongside him, obviously I can’t overtake him so I braked which was also giving me more heat in my brakes and my tyres.

“I waited for him to go away and all of a sudden Mark appeared up alongside me, I decided to accelerate and the next thing I hear is a big thud.

“He’s allowed five car lengths behind me, I don’t know why he was so close.

“I had a good weekend, I didn’t put a foot wrong, I didn’t do anything to put anyone else in danger. I’ve come away to China and all of a sudden I’m going to be punished for something.

“I just think it’s a real shame for the sport, Formula One’s supposed to be about hard, fair competition. That’s what I’ve tried to do this year, just be fair. There’s been some real strange situations this year where I’m made to look the bad person and, by the looks of it, this weekend be given a penalty.

“If this is the way it’s going to keep going it’s not somewhere I really want to be.”

Photo: Daimler

Related links

Tags: / / / /

34 comments on Hamilton cleared over Fuji crash

1 2 3
  1. Charles Stuart-Hunt said on 5th October 2007, 13:43

Fantastic news!. Absolutely the right decision. Go Lewis Go. I will be up at 6.60 a.m Friday and Sunday to watch Hamilton clinch it!

2. Magnus said on 5th October 2007, 13:45

Well, since they also removed Vettel’s penalty I guess that makes it a fair decision for once. I still think they should have let Vettel’s demotion stand and given Lewis one too though, drivers will just keep pushing the limits unless they get real punishments.

For Hamilton to claim he didn’t put a foot wrong is a bit rich though, anyone could see some of his driving behind the SC was somewhat questionable given the conditions.

3. It seems the stewards didn’t agree with your last point, Magnus.

4. oliver said on 5th October 2007, 14:03

If u hit a patch of standing water and ur driving becomes erratic, u can still claim u didnt put a foot wrong. The conditions made his driving seem erratic simple as that. We must stop all these win by default mentality.

5. AndyJ said on 5th October 2007, 14:13

Well thank heavens for common sense at last…. Has Vettell’s punishment been quoshed too? i hope so. Lets go racing!!!

6. oliver said on 5th October 2007, 14:14

I remember Sato was punished in Belguim for hitting Schumacher in a wet race 2005, shows there is no consistency in stewards decisions. Im not saying Vettel should be punished for lack of concentration, but at least let there be consistency

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th October 2007, 14:15

Yes, Vettel’s punishment has been cancelled. Sorry that wasn’t clear in the article, have revised it now.

8. Number 38 said on 5th October 2007, 14:41

The little worm got away with it……..we’ve got another Schumacher in the making.

9. another lewis fan said on 5th October 2007, 14:59

that little worm is called lewis hamilton!there was’nt anything to get away with if he had’nt drove how he did he prob would have ran into the back of the sc and webber into the back of lewis that was quick thinking on his half i’d like to see u lot that are slagging him off have a go out there in those conditions!
    GOOD LUCK IN CHINA LEWIS!

10. David said on 5th October 2007, 15:06

Well, no consistency at all in stewards decisions, it’s a real shame.
    Vettel got a punishment and when they realize it wasn’t his fault they remove it, that’s fine, but who was then? Please, someone explain…that was not caused by normal racing conditions.
    You might dislike Alonso, but he was right when he said F1 is not a sport.

11. oliver said on 5th October 2007, 15:07

If u read Hamiltons, explanation, he maintained that he always drove the same way around each lap, always wide at that point, and he still claims that Webber was always getting close to him. Webber also should have been penalized for breaking hard along the racing line in very poor visibily, when he didnt need to. Im not so sure many of those drivers know exactly what the rules say when behind the safety car, cause Webber could have sailed past and just coasted until Hamilton took his place back.

You dont suppose Webber and Vettel found themselves in unfamiliar territory at the front, and then just could not handle the situation

12. carlos said on 5th October 2007, 15:13

A wrong conduct would must be punished. This is not a good lesson for a young man.
    Hamilton has a great talent as a driver, but a great lack of manners to be a champion.

13. There was a comment by Jenson Button in the Metro this morning, that he thought that what Lewis was doing “felt really inconsistent”. Which was odd when he then went on to say, “he came through the last section and kept slowing down”. I’m not sure how you can “inconsistantly” “keep” doing something but there you go. The caption was “Baffled Button” so I’ll take the whole thing with a pinch of salt, but he did seem to be confirming what Lewis was saying about his different line.

14. David told it, the stewards punished Vettel for the accident, and when they realize that the accident happened because the erratic driving of Lewis (I think we all agree he drove erraticly every lap he did behind the SC), then they decide not to punish the responsable.
    So we must learn that if vettel goes wrong he will be punished but if Lewis does, then things change……there are two ways of looking every thing, and every driver, same used to happen with Schumi, we all know.
    Does anybody remember the Monza punishment for Alonso when he “bother” Massa when they where both of them in their flying lap????
    Two ways of judging everything, no consistency in stewards decisions, same as we have seen allways.
    What would have happened to Red Bull if they discover they have those 780 pages from ferrari that Mc Laren had?????? They would have been killed for sure, but it was Mc Laren……

15. verasaki said on 5th October 2007, 15:37

I applaud both decisions. The more I looked at it the more I think when Hamilton went wide Webber lost his reference point(the rain light), slowed while Vettel was distracted and there’s the train wreck. If penalties had been handed out in Spa years ago 75% of the grid would have been starting behind p10.

Do I think Hamilton was in the middle of an ooopsie? Yeah, but that isn’t what caused the accident and that was the point.

Re:Sato penalty, if I recall correctly there had already been several incidents Sato was in the middle of that season and I always thought it was the FIA giving him notice.

1 2 3