Hamilton cleared over Fuji crash

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren-Mercedes, Fuji Speedway, 2007 | DaimlerLewis Hamilton will not receive a punishment over the crash involving Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in the Japanese Grand Prix (see the video here).

Vettel, who had been given a ten place grid penalty for hitting Webber, saw his penalty rescinded – he instead received a reprimand.

Before the verdict Hamilton gave his explanation of the incident and reaction to the furore: “If you look, I did it every lap, that’s the line I raced on because it was the dry line and that’s probably why I won. There was less water there but I always caught the pace car up.

“I pulled up alongside him, obviously I can’t overtake him so I braked which was also giving me more heat in my brakes and my tyres.

“I waited for him to go away and all of a sudden Mark appeared up alongside me, I decided to accelerate and the next thing I hear is a big thud.

“He’s allowed five car lengths behind me, I don’t know why he was so close.

“I had a good weekend, I didn’t put a foot wrong, I didn’t do anything to put anyone else in danger. I’ve come away to China and all of a sudden I’m going to be punished for something.

“I just think it’s a real shame for the sport, Formula One’s supposed to be about hard, fair competition. That’s what I’ve tried to do this year, just be fair. There’s been some real strange situations this year where I’m made to look the bad person and, by the looks of it, this weekend be given a penalty.

“If this is the way it’s going to keep going it’s not somewhere I really want to be.”

Photo: Daimler

Related links

Tags: / / / /

34 comments on Hamilton cleared over Fuji crash

1. nellyweb said on 5th October 2007, 16:07

Fantastic news – Vettel should never have been punished, and Hamilton didn’t do anything wrong.

2. well… Kubica’s punishment tastes even more bitter now…

3. I saw this coming, Hamilton not getting punished. Definately a lot of inconsistency coming from the FIA. Liuzzi got penalised for something we didn’t even see, and everyone saw what Hamilton did, and he didn’t even get a reprimand.

If by any chance he does it again next race and he doesn’t get penalised for that, I’m calling it biased.

4. oliver said on 5th October 2007, 17:03

Luizi got penalised because there was a specific complaint and moreover there was evidence to back up the allegations. Vettel got cleared just because he was lucky, Hamilton did not slow down in front of Webber or Vettel he was at the side of the track, over 2 cars width away. If Webber slammed on the brakes, then he was stupid for doin that while on the racing line and in poor visibility, If Vettel rammed into Webber, and Webber didnt apply the brakes, then Vettel was stupid for not paying attention to the car in front. Vettel is a fast driver, and full of promise, but he showed a great lack of experience for allowing himself to be distracted. He spent too long looking to his side, almost over his side pods, and forgot there was a car in front of him.

He got away lucky. the reason why he wasnt punished earlier for hitting Fernando was that it was an almost 50 – 50 situation. Kubica’s punishment is probably for getting in the way of a championship fight. Hamilton is not above faults but in the case he was more blameless, the safety car slowed down real hard to take that chicane.

All other drivers behind gave the drivers in front greater room, but Webber and Vettel wanted to win the race behind the safety car.

5. Wonderboy gets off the hook easy again. Surprise, Surprise.

6. Eric M. said on 5th October 2007, 17:58

I’m still not sure if I think Hamilton should have been punished or not. But I agree with David about the consistency of the stewards. It seems like the FIA make up these penalties as they go along. Complete hacks, in my opinion.

7. Bleh, there goes Kimi’s hopes ;)

8. verasaki said on 5th October 2007, 22:21

Feel your pain Haplo. And as someone else said, what about poor Kubica? I got so mad when they penalized him I turned the race off! Okay, I sort of watched the bits I missed the next day but that was really not right.

9. JavierR said on 5th October 2007, 22:28

Just Incredible.
    FIA=MaFIA
    Supporting Alonso tomorrow!

10. Journeyer said on 5th October 2007, 23:29

If you think about it, the FIA will be accused of bias one way or the another.

Lewis did not get punishment today; ergo, half of race fans (and a good deal of Spanish fans) are accusing the FIA of handing Lewis the trophy on a plate, helping their commercial interest.

Had Lewis been punished, the other half of race fans would have accused the FIA of interfering to bring the title fight down to the wire in Brazil, helping their commercial interest.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

11. Damned FIA. :D

12. AJ14Foyt said on 6th October 2007, 1:10

Awfully erratic driving by the wunderkid.

I predict a 1st corner crash this weekend – with either Alonso or Massa.

13. It is really ineteresting how can Hamilton managed to polarize the fans in a span of few months … The debate here looks like the sequel to the debate below the Hamilton backclash article :-)

He is quickly becoming as controversial as Schumi :-)

As for this decision – Great that an amateur video contributed to the removal of Vettel’s penalty. Can’t be this taken now as a precedens, that it is OK to record and broadcast online amateur shots from the races ?

14. Well he got off?? – there was never a official complaint from the affected drivers – even whinging mark? ? – went off him lately – also does magnus remember what punishment was handed out when shummie and alonso crashed in monaco behind the safety car? – lewis is 3rd in practise so lets get racing and let japan rest – ooh just a wee thought what happened to shummie hen he rammed damon hill in australia? – time does pass so quickly

15. Ooops sorry – pole position – brilliant – well done lewis!!!