Poll: do you watch F1 and NASCAR?

Formula 1 and NASCAR. Are they polar opposites with entirely different groups of fans, or can you enjoy them both?

This poll has now closed – see the F1 and NASCAR poll results.

See the results of the previous poll.

NASCAR is the number one motorsport in America by miles. Juan Pablo Montoya defected to the championship from F1 in 2006 and Jacques Villeneuve and Scott Speed are trying to follow him. Villeneuve’s deal to race this year has apparently fallen through and Speed is racing in one of the junior categories to the top level, the Sprint Cup.

This weekend sees the first round of the 2008 NASCAR series at Daytona. Will you be watching?

I can see the appeal of NASCAR – the cars run a lot closer to each other than F1 cars do and there are a lot more of them. And actually being able to go to a race and see the entire circuit from one point has its advantages.

But I feel the same way about NASCAR as I do about Moto GP – although they’re both quite like Formula 1, they don’t excite me in the same way.

NASCARs don’t look like racing machines to me – they look bluff and bloated. Although they can race closely it only seems as though they really fight for position late in the race.

Above all, I don’t find it spectacular. An F1 car on the limit looks fast – NASCARs just look ordinary. It’s not that I don’t like oval racing – some of the most spectacular races I’ve seen were the 500 mile races on the superspeedways in the former CART series.

But NASCAR, so far, doesn’t do it for me. Nonetheless I’ll be watching tomorrow, to see if it finally clicks. How about you? It would be interesting to see if there’s a split between American, European and other fans…

28 comments on Poll: do you watch F1 and NASCAR?

1. Hey Nathan. If you live in the right area and have the right gear, you can watch NASCAR in Oz for free on the new Ten HD channel.

2. Number 38 said on 17th February 2008, 17:18

TommyBellingham Says:

Obviously I watch F1, being a massive fan have watched it nearly all my life (since 1996).

WELCOME to F1 from one who has watched it all his life
    (since 1956). The times they are achangin’.

3. Turn left…..turn left…….turn left…..

4. Pink Peril said on 17th February 2008, 23:26

Marty, tell me more !

I would love to watch more NASCAR but I refuse to get pay TV. So watching it on Ten HD appeals.

Details, please?

5. Robert McKay said on 18th February 2008, 20:17

Interesting that two people (as I write this) have come to a site called “F1fanatic” to take part in a poll that says they don’t watch F1. I’m not mocking, just genuinely interested as to the reasons behind this.

6. I watch both F1 and NASCAR (also the Aussie V8′s and MOTOGP) for different reasons. I love the drafting of the restrictor plate races and the crash & bash of the short tracks. Pocono’s probably the NASCAR race I enjoy least, there’s just not much to watch. F1 is much more interesting these days but there were several times in the last few years that I have wondered whether it was really worth all the fuss.

The NASCAR coverage in New Zealand is pretty good, it shows on Sky but we don’t get as many ad breaks as there obviously must be in the US, so we get extended periods during yellows where we’re just sitting in one driver’s car with the audio turned almost off. A DVD recorder helps to skip some of these bits.

7. I kind of watch both. I can watch a F1 race from beggining to end, but I cant do the same for Nascar. The racing is closer but the annoucers get annoying. They’re definitly not like David Hobbs for the SPEED channel.

I love all kinds of racing, but nothing is like F1

8. I watch F1 and Nascar both online. Prefer watching F1 though. You have to watch it live – else it’s not as exciting. Nascar can sometmes be a bit boring but F1 is a great international sport.

9. Kevin said on 11th March 2008, 11:17

Turn left…..turn left…….turn left…..Oh cr#p turn right (this car’s really loose)…..turn left…..turn left….only 499 more laps to go!

10. someone said on 25th April 2008, 0:28

I am a huge NASCAR fan who generally does not like Formula 1 racing.  I am on this site just because I am an open-minded american who is curious about the opinions of hardcore F1 fans on NASCAR.  Is that so terrible?

11. winterbear said on 25th April 2008, 5:07

stupid people watching mediocre drivers pilot stupid bloated sedans driving in circles for hours competing in a regional historically insignificant racing series..  all on the same lap with a mad dash at the end…boy, whats not to love.nascar is the wwf of the racing world.  its well marketed spectacle, not sport.The only reason Nascar is more popular in the usa than F1 is because F1 has screwed up its marketing and promotion so badly that most people here don’t know that F1 even exists.

12. NASCAR is a promotional and merchandising success. Attendance at races is down. Here in Charlotte North Carolina (I live close enough to the speedway to hear the cars) NASCAR pumps $6BB dollars US into the local economy. Yes, NASCAR is, sadly, an “engineered spectacle” like WWF. Was not always that way. I do not follow it because it is indeed boring to watch on TV and when you have 20 caution flags and “competition cautions” to bunch up the field to help make a close finihs,m well… you are signing the sport’s death warrant. Bernie E had best be careful and watch the constant, arbitrary biased penalties because people will stop watching F1 too. yes, there is much to learn from NASCAR – merchandising, TV coverage, and it holds some portents and warnings about what over-regulation can do to a sport.

13. Please, please, don’t just leave your cat alone for three weeks, even if you think that you’ve left it with enough food for this time, it won’t regulate its food to last three weeks, and what you are suggesting is in fact neglect. You must have a neighbour or friend who would be willing to pop in daily to feed it, or if not book it into your local cattery, also there are often ads in the local papers for pet sitting services.