New rumours say Ron Dennis to quit this week

The Sunday Times claims Ron Dennis will hand over the role of chief executive at McLaren to Martin Whitmarsh this week. According the newspaper Dennis had planned to relinquish his role in the team at the end of 2007 but postponed the change because of the espionage affair.

The story alleges Dennis’s decision to step down is of his own choosing and not because of pressure from Mercedes, which was claimed by Marca last week.

But if Dennis does quit this week there will surely still be questions about whether he jumped or whether he was pushed.

28 comments on New rumours say Ron Dennis to quit this week

1. Architrion said on 2nd March 2008, 21:54

Alan, what you’re saying about fiery competition with no limits trying to acquire and mantain advantage is right to everyone involved in Formula 1 team management…. but I wonder why Ron isn’t loved all around. I feel that even an outsider like Briatore has more friends in Formula 1. And please, don’t misunderstand me…. I’m sure he would do the worst things to win on Formula 1.

2. Pink Peril said on 2nd March 2008, 22:45

I’d hate to see Ron go, but as the whole distateful episode last year was a personal vendetta against Dennis, perhaps he thinks it would be in McLarens’s best interests that he retires?

Of course Mad Max and di Montezemolo will not stop pushing until they get the result they want.

On another note – I bought my program for the Melbourne GP on the weekend and had to laugh at this printed on the Ferrari page “After winning both of last years titles with a little help from the powers that be”

Touche

3. Arnet said on 3rd March 2008, 2:23

Dennis has been saying for a while now that he has his succession planned and mapped out in advance. He alludes to stepping aside or stepping up instead of stepping down. We have no way of knowing whether last years farce will speed up or delay those plans, but I doubt it will alter them. He will not quit, and he won’t (can’t) get fired, so it’s up to him to decide what role he will play. My hunch is, even if he was going to step back this year, he’ll push it off a year, just to put some distance between it and the scandal.

Ron may not have been the most touchy-feely character, and his mode of communicating was off-putting to some, but to me, the more Max bashed and insulted him, the more I moved over to Ron’s camp. He appears to be a control and neat freak, logical and unemotional, but he has spoken about the great pain he feels losing, and joy in winning. He’s not emotional in that Latin passionate way, but he clearly has a passion for the sport. One of the racers.

Flavio has mentioned that Bernie is his best friend, and that they talk 6 times a day. He is inside the system. Ron fought the system, with only his team and F1 in mind, as opposed to Ferrari, who only have the team in mind. In a way Dennis is both establishment and maverick. I have great respect for how he took the whole mess on the chin and said “Let’s move on” when he was indeed treated to, in Brundles words, a witch hunt.

I hope he stays on for as long as keeps him happy. The sport is far better of for him being in it.

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd March 2008, 10:01

Today’s Guardian repeats the story but says the switch will happen “over the next couple of weeks”.

5. and Autosport runs the story that he will pass the things on to Whitmarsh, just not sure when …

6. Bye Ron, F1 will be a more colourful place without you! xx

7. Oh, yes, much more colorful, much more red…

8. Bring it on

9. Toncho said on 4th March 2008, 8:44

Last year he failed to secure the title for MacLaren despite having the best car and two of the three best pilots of the paddock. He failed managing the pilots. Then, in the Spygate he claimed not to be aware of the whole thing… true or not he also failed managing the team. I will get fired for much less.

10. Michael K said on 4th March 2008, 9:47

Ok, I think what is happpening now is more of an internal affair rather than Ferrari pushing somewhere, as some of the more paranoid/delusional folks seem to suggest here. All the pushing that Ferrari did was done months ago and this is one of the aftershocks of the whole affair which is being digested internally.
    Now if Ron had nothing to do with anything and is clean and white as a peace-pigeon’s feather I don’t think this would be happening, and I do think now that it will happen as most of the press all over the world is reporting it. I thought, and still think, that Ron knew of the whole affair due to his, shall we say, stronger than usual regime. He then tried to cover it up, failed, and now will have to pay. This will be an internal affair and we will never hear what really happens, but if he gets ousted internally this is proof that he did something wrong, what other reason could they have to destabilise the team like this before the season?

11. Ade said on 4th March 2008, 12:50

Michael K: but if he gets ousted internally this is proof that he did something wrong, what other reason could they have to destabilise the team like this before the season?

You could do better than that??? Guys like Toncho already have an answer right before you eyes: failures in management(despite all clean). And why do you insist that he would be ousted internally? Is it not possible that he’s just feeling too old?

About the mismanagement of the drivers, I don’t know if the others could have done better, be it FB or JT. Because I think it’s very hard to manager 2 best/competive drviers in a winning car, and let’s face it: Ron is the only one in F1 who have even tried to team up 2 best drivers together, he tried to bring MH and MS together, he has brought us AS vs AP, KR vs JPM.

I of course agree mostly with what Alex Andronov and Arnet said. Without RD, Mclaren just would not be the same, just like Williams without sir Williams and PH. I wish RD could have been 30 years younger…

12. Ade said on 4th March 2008, 14:27

BTW about why it is not likey that he will be ousted internally(if you don’t believe what MW and NH/Mercedes said), BE rubbished that claim too, Ron owns 15% of McLaren, but he still has supports from other shareholds so that Mercedes/no one can push him out. Some of you guys still think Ron should be fired for what happened in 07′, and won’t believe it/can never understand, that Ron still have supports from people inside McLaren. Those are the people who see the contribution Ron made despite his possible mistakes.

I’m still waiting for McLaren to do it for Ron, but if Ron decided to leave, I wish him all the best!!! 28 years with McLaren, maybe it’s now time to take really good care of himself. But I believe that would be bad for McLaren’s future, and bad for F1, 2 WDCs teammates we will never see.

13. Toncho said on 4th March 2008, 19:56

I have a lot of respect for RD and races won’t be the same without him. I can also consider the possibility that he is just leaving out of personal reasons (age, famiilly, tired of races,…) BUT Ade can you consider that he may be “forced” to go by his partners??.

Afterall he has not win a championship for seven years despite having huge budgets and great pilots (the last two champions have been racing with MCL recently) According to RD RAI was not good enough for being champion (same with Montoya btw)… Then we got the spygate where most probably he knew all way, tryed to cover it up and ended handing the constructor title to Ferrari. I am just saying here he has made a lot of things wrong recently.