2008 Bahrain GP preview: predictions

Bahrain Grand Prix 2007 start, 470150

What are your predictions for the Bahrain Grand Prix?

Here’s who I think will win – place your bets below…

I think Bahrain will be the first race where we see a straight fight between Ferrari and McLaren without the mayhem we saw at Melbourne or the penalties at Sepang getting in the way.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the Ferraris lining up on the front row of the grid with the McLarens on the second, unless BMW are going to try their aggressive low-fuel first stint strategy again.

Felipe Massa just can’t make the kind of mistakes he’s made in the last two races but I think he will play it conservatively just to get some points on the board. That will allow Lewis Hamilton into second place – but I don’t think he’s going to be able to keep up with Kimi Raikkonen.

Despite their troubles at Sepang I’m not writing off Williams yet – I think Nico Rosberg will qualify inside the top ten and drivers like him, Jarno Trulli and Mark Webber are going to be headache for Fernando Alonso who’s Renault just doesn’t seem to be quick enough yet. Bringing the car home in the top eight will be an achievement for the former champion.

My top three prediction:

1. Kimi Raikkonen
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Felipe Massa

What’s yours?

46 comments on 2008 Bahrain GP preview: predictions

1 2 3 4
  1. Gman said on 3rd April 2008, 22:13

1. Raikkonen
    2. Hamilton
    3. Heidfeld

Massa will bring home some points, but BMW continues their string of podiums and keeps the championship race close.

2. I’m going out on a limb here and say:

1. Raikkonen
    2. Hamilton
    3. Kovalainen

I don’t think Massa will get it this time either. Sand + No TC = not a good place for Felipinho

3. Fer no.65 said on 3rd April 2008, 22:48

Realistic:
    1.- Raikkonen
    2.-Hamilton
    3.-Massa/Kova

but i think  another 2nd place for Nick won’t be a big surprise… I really hope he’ll make into the podium again, or at least Kubica.

4. verasaki said on 3rd April 2008, 22:54

1. kovalainen
    2. hamilton
    3. heidfeld

5. Good Keith, Let’s talk a little about race. Last year Lewis followed Felipe all through the first stint and in some laps has done some pressure making fastest laps. I´m not convinced yet that the two teams have switched their 2007 tracks high performance as someone’s has suggested. So, I think that Felipe will fail in his confidence in Bahrain leaving Kimi alone in field. And McLaren could fight Kimi in a fuel strategy to beat him using his two boys. I think McLaren is going to win then: – Lewis – Kimi – Heikki

6. frecon said on 3rd April 2008, 23:11

1. Massa
    2. Kimi
    3. Kubica

Risky prediction (i know)

7. Kimi
    Hamilton
    Rosberg

Trulli in the points.

8. Thing with last year is that I seem to remember Lewis wasn’t too bad in the first/last stint but he struggled with his tyres in the middle (were they hard or softs?) .Otherwise he could have probably beat Massa and I agree with Becken that not a lot has changed in terms of Ferrari/McLaren tracks but I think the differences between the two are much less.

I’m going to suggest Felipe to take the pole but for Hamilton to win the race , Raikonnen will be second and possibly Kovy for third place…

9. Toncho said on 3rd April 2008, 23:15

1 – Raikonen
    2 – kovalainen
    3 – hamilton

10. Gman said on 3rd April 2008, 23:25

Frecon, that may indeed be bold, but I like it. I was thinking either of the BMW drivers in third- Heidfeld just came to mind first for me.

11. TommyBellingham said on 4th April 2008, 0:33

3. Heidfeld

Pole – Felipe, but spins off on first corner

14. Brar Soler said on 4th April 2008, 3:39

1)Massa
    2)Barrichello
    3)Piquet

You need to be impartial to made a racional prediction.

15. Peter Punk said on 4th April 2008, 3:58

I’m wih Bigotez, Keith:

1. Raikkonen
    2. Hamilton
    3. Kovalainen

I think Massa will struggle again, and that we will see both BMW’s in 5th and 6th. Alonso will have a hard time again.

1 2 3 4