Alonso denies blame for Hamilton crash

Today’s Bahrain Grand Prix saw the latest development in the Lewis Hamilton-Fernando Alonso rivalry. Hamilton hit the back of Alonso’s Renault causing the McLaren driver to lose his front wing.

Alonso denied he was responsible, saying: “The McLaren was just a lot faster than my car and he crashed into me.” Hamilton has not yet commented on the incident – but Alonso’s defensive driving has been criticised for causing accidents in the past.

David Coulthard blamed Alonso for causing this crash in the 2003 European Grand Prix:

Coulthard claimed Alonso had deliberately braked early for the corner to force him to take avoiding action and go off. Did Alonso do something similar today – perhaps easing off the throttle to cause Hamilton to make a mistake? Or did Hamilton just misjudge how much quicker he was?

Whatever happened it’s likely to inflame the unpopularity of Hamilton in Spain with the Spanish Grand Prix the next stop on the calendar.

Comments have been split across multiple pages. If you are having trouble viewing the pages click here to view all comments.

122 comments on Alonso denies blame for Hamilton crash

1. Pete said on 6th April 2008, 15:44

With all the circumstantial evidence, I think alonso is at fault – no one else came close to hitting the car in front. The concertina effect makes it highly unlikely. Also the obvious rivalry… Alonso knew he was going to be passed – the Mclaren is the better car by miles. But I don’t think he braked. He was slower on the accelerator to force hamilton to back off and he was in the middle of the track so able to swerve to avoid hamilton overtaking. Alonso didn’t intend to crash, just try and gain a little breathing space and delay Hamilton’s inevitable overtaking. Plus it would have wound Hamilton up, which to Alonso is a BIG bonus.

2. LoneGun said on 6th April 2008, 15:54

I was amazed at how fast the itv commentators jumped on Alonso as "causing the incident". He looks out of shape through the entire corner and appears to be struggling with understear in an obviously inferior car. Hamilton’s second season doesn’t make him an F1 veteran hes still a rookie and in my opinion made a typical rookies mistake ie took no avoiding action or obvious passing manoevre attempt just rammed him one. If that had happened off circuit Hamiltons insurance company would have picked up the bill LOL.

3. Jeff said on 6th April 2008, 15:58

HAHA! You lot make me laugh!

Yes, I am a supporter of Hamilton, but your constant dismissive remarks are a joke!

Alonso had nothing to gain from lifting off, accept payback for last year. He’s now in a crappy Renault, whilst this younger faster, better driver is is one of the best cars in the field.
    We all know he is capable of such antics after the pit lane hold up last season.

Alonso should have been going much faster out of the corner, being on the throttle over a car length before Hamilton was.

Alonso hates Hamilton, and figured there wouldn’t be many times when Lewis was behind him on the track and took full advantage. He was out of the points, and had nothing to loose, or gain. Unsportsmanlike, but then again, Alonso has always been a sore loser.

Leah said:
    "Had Hamilton crashed into anybody bar Alonso it wouldn’t be this big a deal. Or had someone else crashed into Alonso bar Hamilton it wouldn’t be speculated he did it on purpose!"

You’re right. It wouldn’t be spectulated. Alonso has no reason to do it to anybody else. He’s still got a grudge from his apparently ‘poor’ treatment he recieved from Mclaren last year. Or more like he didn’t get his own way.

Architrion said:
    "Seriously I think Hamilton needs to relearn F1 driving… last year that supercomputerized machines did a lot of work by him, managing the engine power, redistributing brake power and balance on each turn, launch control, etc. (it has been said that there were a different engine setting for each turn………) But this year is a complete different business… he needs to acquire the instinct that comes after battling with such dog of a car like a Minardi, a Jaguar, a last year Renault, an Honda or a last year Toyota. Wild reactions with no margin for error: no more full throttle, watch for the kerbs, be careful braking, and be aware of the front car"

Do you not think he already knows how to drive without aids? You know he has driven all his life in many other formulas, many or maybe all of which have no driver aids?

Oh, and the sooner the Ferrari supporting Max Mosely is out, the better. It will be nice having an independent president of the FIA.

4. Architrion said on 6th April 2008, 15:59

I’m willing to accept a two races ban for Fred if he brake tested Hami…. but, what penalty should receive that guy if he just mounted in the back of the Renault? Perhaps he thought that he was even faster although he had to tow that tractor….

5. Jeff said on 6th April 2008, 16:02

Pete said:

TOTALLY agree

6. Pedro Andrade said on 6th April 2008, 16:02

If Alonso did it deliberately, than he would seriously risk losing his rear wing, thus being out of the race (like what happened with Fisichella and Yamamoto in brazil last year). Hamilton was the one to blame, in my opinion.

7. Architrion said on 6th April 2008, 16:03

Dear Jeff
    In previous formulas he hasn’t coped with cars that are near of 850 hp, with the materials they are constructed reaching his limits of stress, when 2 mms of the chasis twisting can turn into a spin. That could be a reason why being a rookie has been so hard in the past, don’t you think???

8. Nathan said on 6th April 2008, 16:05

To me, it looks like Alonso ran wide in Turn 2, lifted off so as not to be speared off the track by the curb and Hamilton didn’t see it coming and crashed into him. Just a racing incident in my view.

9. Jeff said on 6th April 2008, 16:08

Frecon – I live in Woking and know 2 people who work at the Mclaren factory. I do not base my opinions on what journalist, newspapers or forums say. I base it on what my close, trusted friends tell me. Thanks.

Architrion – Just because he now has more horsepower does not mean he has forgotten the basics facts of driving a racing car.

10. pepito said on 6th April 2008, 16:10

funny, but ridiculous

11. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th April 2008, 16:13

I’ve had to delete a couple of comments from this thread for swearing.

Please keep it clean guys.

Comment policy

12. Daniel said on 6th April 2008, 16:15

I didn’t read all comments, so pardon me if I repeat someone…

I just wanna say that one obvious rule in driving was forgotten by those who blame Alonso: THE ONE BEHIND IS RESPONSIBLE UNTIL THE ONE AHEAD IS PROVED WRONG!

Alonso was slow, but it wasn’t a break test, I think he took too long to get full speed, but nothing justifies Hamilton’s crash… It was totally different from Button-Coulthard incident, for example…
    Lewis was, being gentle with him, pretty reckless…

Well, he is showing, once again, how badly he can drive when trying to do a recovery race (Nurburgring, Interlagos, and now Sakhir)….

Disclaimer: I still think Hamilton WILL BE one of all-time Formula 1 greats…

13. del said on 6th April 2008, 16:22

Hamilton said he saw nothing wrong with the incident in a post race interview. Racing incident.

Having watched replays, no, nothing wrong that I could see either. Alonso does have a knack of mid corner braking to unsettle the following car, isnt that how he kept schumi behind him in imola 05 (I think?), but this was after the apex, looks like hamilton just had better drive out of it

What was his gesture to fisi about, punching the air in a ‘woohoo, I’m past him’ celebration or a ‘you tosser’ gesture?
    If the latter, why?

Alonso was gesticulating behind Glock too, both racing for positions. Frustrating times in the midfield? Glock stated he had gear selection problems that slowed him and allowed alonso to close

oh hamiltons bad start, bad engine mapping, didnt select it in time on the formation lap or somesuch, and anti-stall kicked in

14. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th April 2008, 16:23

Have you got a link for that please Del?

15. Architrion said on 6th April 2008, 16:23

Has nobody notice that Hami was in despair to overtake Alonso because he knew Fred was heavier fueled and staying behind him could ruin his race?