2008 Turkish GP preview: predictions

2007 Turkish Grand Prix start, Istanbul, 470150

Are we set for another red-wash in Turkey? It’s a brave man that bets against the might of Ferrari with the streak of success they’re riding at the moment.

Who do you think will win in Turkey? Can I predict the podium correctly for the second race in a row? How did you get on last time? Read on to find out.

An important change this year sees the Turkish Grand Prix in May rather than September, meaning track temperatures should be lower. However, Bridgestone are bringing the same tyre compounds as they did last year.

Getting the most performance out of the tyres is fundamentally important and Ferrari have been the best team at doing that so far this year, partly thanks to their history with tyre supplier Bridgestone which runs longer than any of their immediate rivals.

So who will do the best here? With lower temperatures and hard tyres it might just play into McLaren’s hands, as they have been working their tyres much harder than their rivals. That worked to their detriment in the heat of Bahrain and Sepang but at Istanbul it might just work the other way.

Add to that the fact that Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen both have new engines for this race and Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa are both on their second race with theirs.

BMW have not brought any significant updates to Istanbul so I don’t expect them to move ahead of McLaren – although they do reckon they have gotten to the bottom of their start line problems.

I think we’ll see a McLaren split the Ferraris at this race and I also think we’ll see more of Raikkonen exerting his leadership over Massa. Here’s my podium prediction:

1. Kimi Raikkonen
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Felipe Massa

Congratulations to Journeyer, Schumacherthegreatestever (no way am I typing all those capitals) and Trish who join me in the smug corner having predicted the podium correctly last time out. But can we do it again?

It’s over to you…

Kubica
    Hamilton

3. 1.Massa
    2.Hamilton
    3.Kovalainen

4. Rabi said on 9th May 2008, 11:09

I reckon that BMW will sneak onto the podium and McLaren will continue the slide for this race.

1.Massa
    2.Kimi
    3.Kubica

On another note when does this one tyre supplier deal run out? It seems that Ferrari have an incredibly unfair advantage with everyone having to run on Bridgestone.

5. Harkirat said on 9th May 2008, 11:10

I’ll reserve my comments till Saturday practice

6. SamS said on 9th May 2008, 11:10

1. Massa
    2. Hamiton
    3. Kubica.

Button to come 5th

7. my original bet was Sato to win, but as he is not racing now, have to go with Ferrari:

Massa
    Kimi
    Kovalainen

8. Sush said on 9th May 2008, 11:34

LOL @ Milos

1 Kimi
    2 Massa
    3 Heidfield

anyone watch practise this morning?. Heikki’s on the warpath and Hamilton suffered a right rear puncture. While fast the MClaren’s look “wobbly*” which is probably suspension issues, might hinder them in the long stints.

*sorry for the technical jargon

9. Whewbacca the Cookie said on 9th May 2008, 11:34

Cooler temps and lack of TC will make it a little different (and more interesting) than before. Less heat is certainly good news for the drivers but might be tougher on the soft compounds. Nevertheless I think the Ferrari team knows Bridgestone tyres just too well…

Hence my prediction:

1. Raikkonen
    2. Massa
    3. Kubica

(Massa will have the pole but lose the lead to Kimi during his pitstops)

10. 1. Raikkonen
    2. Hamilton
    3. Button

11. Schumacherthegreatestever said on 9th May 2008, 13:22

i thinki exactly the same as spain cant see hamilton splitting the feraris because he can get past them in qualifying and if alonso goes light again he could hold him up for the 1st stint.

kimi
    massa
    hamilton

12. Journeyer said on 9th May 2008, 13:35

Hmmm… I’ll disagree with Keith on this one – ever so slightly.

Raikkonen
    Massa
    Kubica

13. audiq7 said on 9th May 2008, 14:11

Massa
    Hamilton
    Kubica

14. M Smith said on 9th May 2008, 14:21

1. Massa
    2. Raikkonen
    3. Kovalainen

And just for the sake for it: Heidfeld will come 5th, Webber 7th, Button 8th :)

15. QUALIFYING: