Video: Kimi Raikkonen hits Adrian Sutil and denies Force India a points finish

It’s hard to pick a single highlight from an action-packed Monaco Grand Prix. But one of the most astonishing moments of the race was Kimi Raikkonen’s late collision with Adrian Sutil.

The Force India driver had performed brilliantly up until that moment, never putting a wheel wide and lapping quickly. The team were poised to score their first ever world championship points.

Meanwhile world champion Raikkonen suffered a terrible race with a penalty due to a mix-up on the grid followed by a spin at Ste Devote. Nonetheless fifth place would have given him enough points to keep his championship lead.

However on lap 68 following a restart behind the safety car Raikkonen lost control of his Ferrari as he came over the crest of the hill before the harbour front chicane. He ploughed into the blameless Sutil and, in the exact opposite of poetic justice, Sutil was forced to retire while Raikkonen continued after being given a new front wing.

A bitterly disappointed Sutil wept after the collision. Force India’s Mike Gascoyne remarked: “Raikkonen looked like he was going to do something stupid and in the end he did.” Gascoyne also suggested that if a less experienced driver did what Raikkonen did he would receive a penalty for the next race, as Kazuki Nakajima did at the Australian Grand Prix.

32 comments on Video: Kimi Raikkonen hits Adrian Sutil and denies Force India a points finish

1 2 3
  1. Shame on Raikkonen. I really pity Adrian and Force India.

2. Nathan said on 25th May 2008, 17:38

James Allen did say he was worried he might jinx it. Looks like he did.

3. M Smith said on 25th May 2008, 17:39

I think it was a racing incident. Raikkonen wasn’t trying to overtake Sutil at that moment, he just lost control of the car.

But I think Force India’s request to investigate the incident is right. Who knows, something might come out of it. Raikkonen might have just lost control, or he might have braked too late, which in that case he may get a penalty.

I feel so sorry for Sutil and the Force India team, they did absolutely everything right at Monaco, while most others lost their heads, and this is their reward. A double retirement, and the thought of what might have been.

4. Rohan said on 25th May 2008, 17:46

No chance of Kimi getting a penalty, and rightly so. Kaz was penalised because the incident happened under the safety car, so I’m surprised Gascoyne brought that up. Guess it is understandable seeing as they’ve lost 4th place through no fault of their own, just as Nico lost a podium because he was brake-tested by both Webber & Heikki.

5. Tengil said on 25th May 2008, 18:59

” the team gambled on using the extreme wet tyres at the start of the race”

Sutil was actually on the shallow wets at the start, only Piquet were on the extreme wets.

To me it looked like Kimi, if anything, braked too soon and just lost it like Coulthard did in quali.

It was worth going to the stewards nonetheless, Nazir Hoosein has made some strange decisions in the past.

6. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th May 2008, 19:04

Thanks for that Tengil I’ve deleted the incorrect sentence. I was sure he’d started on the extreme wets but there was a lot going on so I must have been wrong!

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th May 2008, 19:07

Thumbs up to Raikkonen for saying sorry:

I feel a bit sorry for him – but I could not do anything. I tried to slow down but there was nowhere to go and nowhere to slow down – and I lost fifth place.

I said I am sorry for him and his team because probably they are not going to be often in the position to score a fourth position.

8. Robert McKay said on 25th May 2008, 19:12

“Also, it seems to have gone unnoticed that Sutil actually passed Nakajima under double waved yellows early in the race, so I suspect he may have been punished for that later on anyway.”

What lap, roughly, Rohan? I’d like to check it out on my video.

9. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th May 2008, 19:13

The stewards have confirmed Raikkonen won’t get a penalty.

10. Martin B said on 25th May 2008, 19:31

I remember the Sutil pass. I think it was at the start of the first yellow. I remember looking at the live timing and expecting some sort of stewards’ investigation which never came.

11. mail123456 said on 25th May 2008, 19:32

Sutil reprimanded for passing under yellow

12. Rohan said on 25th May 2008, 19:35

Rob – it was right after the Alonso-Heidfeld incident. Sutil went around the outside of Nakajima.

13. Chaz said on 25th May 2008, 20:12

KR looks like a Ferrari with a speed wobble … thats a first… maybe need to work on the balance setup… lol

14. Sush said on 25th May 2008, 20:35

Kudos to Kimi for his apology.

as for Sutil, Kudos to him for mot putting a foot wrong in terms of the track. I loved watching him racing today. He really deserves some points for his race and Mike’s strategy.

and anyone moaning about his yellow flag infringement, yeah well done to you guys, you armchair racers. Next race he’ll qualify 17th to 20th, and get demoted to 25th place right?

15. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th May 2008, 20:41

No-one’s pretending these drivers have it easy but overtaking under yellow flags is a serious infringement – you’re potentially putting marshals at risk. I’m actually quite surprised he’s not got a penalty of some sort.

1 2 3