Poll: Should Max Mosley resign?

Max Mosley, Red Bull, 2006, 2, 470150

Tomorrow the FIA Senate meets to discuss the future of president Max Mosley in the wake of the sex scandal that was revealed in March.

Should Max Mosley resign over the sex scandal?

• No (16%)
  • Don't know (4%)

Total Voters: 403

Loading ... Loading ...

We’ve already had several discussions about the Mosley scandal (see links below) as new information surrounding the story has come to light.

Mosley has not disputed that the video published by the News of the World in March showed him paying to take part in a sadomasochistic sex session lasting several hours with up to five prostitutes. He has denied the newspapers’ claims that the occasion had an explicit Nazi theme, and is suing the newspaper for invasion of privacy.

Many leading figures within Formula 1 and the FIA have publically criticised Mosley and urged him to resign. F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone, a close friend and ally of Mosley’s since the 1970s, joined them over the weekend.

I agree with Ecclestone as have many of the comments received on this site. (Many have also remarked that Mosley should resign anyway because of his handling of Formula 1 in recent years, but the FIA Senate will principally be concerned with the sex scandal).

However I think it’s fair to say a small but vocal minority do not feel the scandal prevents Mosley from being able to do his job, and agree with him that the News of the World’s article is an unjust invasion of his privacy.

Which side of the argument are you on?

F1 Fanatic will have coverage of the FIA Senate verdict as soon as it becomes available. Check back here for the latest and follow me on Twitter for more updates.

31 comments on Poll: Should Max Mosley resign?

1 2 3
  1. Cooperman said on 2nd June 2008, 10:04

No question in my mind. Max should go.
    The fact that we’re all talking about this (still) is a sure enough sign that he’s bringing the sport into disrepute (one of his very own favourite accusations).

2. Rohan said on 2nd June 2008, 10:15

I went for “No” in this vote as I don’t think it would be fair for someone to be sacked because a “newspaper” actually broke the law in revealing this “news” whereas Max himself has done nothing illegal. Furthermore, I don’t feel that it has affected Max’ ability to do his job properly and one must remember all the excellent work Max had done before this, particularly in the area of safety.

3. Sush said on 2nd June 2008, 10:18

reasons he should quit
    sex scandal
    intervention of 2005 US grand prix.
    kicking Toyota out of rallying in the 90’s
    not being able to bring a resolution to the COlin Macray debacle (hence he didn’t race)
    allowing Ferrari on the World motorsport council.

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd June 2008, 10:27

It’s always nice to get the balance of the debate within the first two comments!

But Rohan I cannot agree that the revelations have not stopped him from doing his job properly. The Bahrainis asked him not to go to their race, and although he showed up at Monaco he spent most of the time holed up in his office trying to hold meetings, some of which had to be cancelled because people representing car makers don’t want to be seen with him.

5. Spodo said on 2nd June 2008, 10:44

I’m no fan of excessive political correctness and I certainly am no fan of the gutter press. But I abhor hypocrisy, double standards, and inconsistency more than over-PC-ness and tabloids.

An tabloid expose of similar nature would have led many similarly prominent figures to resign from their posts. But let’s ignore this. After all, Max’s privacy was invaded, and I do not support the media’s right to intrude in such a manner just because their target is terrible at his job.

Another matter entirely is Max’s reference to a known certified dyslexic as a ‘certified half-wit’. Even if accidental, this was a low and no-longer-acceptable remark. If that remark wasn’t enough to call for his resignation, his failure to apologise since certainly is.

He cleverly did not mention the word dyslexia or even Jackie Stewart in his rant, so there could be no outcry from dyslexia associations. For if there were, Max could say that it was the associations themselves, and not he himself, that made the connection between ‘dyslexia’ and ‘half-wit’. No dyslexia organisations would want to be seen making such a connection, so his remark did not recieve the denouncement it deserved. After all, does anyone (even Green Flag) honestly doubt that the term ‘half-wit’ was intentionally aimed not merely at Jackie Stewart but at his dyslexia?

6. Michael K said on 2nd June 2008, 11:27

Hehe, I think Green Flag will have some spin on that too, however unfounded it will be as Max seems to be his pin-up. ;-)
    As I said many times before, when it comes to the question whether he should resign or not it doesn’t matter how the information came about. We’re not in a US court discussing whether his dismissal would be illegal or not. As Keith already mentioned, he can’t do his job properly anymore and I could never ever take him seriously if I would meet him in a business discussion and I think this is how most of the people involved with him will feel too.
    I already thought a few months ago that he couldn’t sink any lower, he has managed that outstanding feat, so I won’t say that he couldn’t sink any lower but remain in the hope that he will just go now…

7. Although I can agree that the newspaper is guilty of invasion of privacy, I do not agree with Max’s wanting a European directive (correct me if I have that wrong) protecting the privacy of celebrities – they are covered by the same laws as the rest of us already.
    Also, yes, that particular newspaper is guilty of hypocrasy, it always has been, I think, there are many more like it in the world. But Max himself is being hypocritical as I feel that had it been anyone else from Motorsport in the same situation, he would be one of the first and the loudest to demand their immediate resignation, going by his outbursts during ‘Stepneygate’.
    The worrying aspect will be what happens after the EGM. If the majority of the Racing Clubs go with Max, will he try to mend the fences that have been broken in recent weeks and get his opposition on side again?
    Or will this lead to a split between the official FIA and those who run the teams? And how would that affect the rest of Motorsport?
    If, on the other hand, Max is forced to resign (which might be a logical compromise within the FIA), then there will either be a power struggle with FOG (as previously mentioned on this blog), or we are destined for a new FIA President, who is just waiting for the correct moment to step forward.
    Either way, this is possibly the end of Motorsport as we know it….

8. Rabi said on 2nd June 2008, 13:13

Let’s look at the situation much more simpler than what it is. Regardless of how it arose it’s plain as day that the man can no longer do his job as he was intended to do so, therefore he has to go.

9. Rohan said on 2nd June 2008, 13:33

Keith, I see your point, but have one issue – is the cause of those cancelled meetings not the fact that Max enjoys S&M, but because of the allegations (which are, imo, unfounded) of the sex sessions being Nazi related?

If so, surely if (once) these allegations are dismissed, there should be no reason why Max can’t continue in his job (of course, this may only be true in a “perfect” world).

10. If an elected head of any organisation can not get anyone to come and meet him – then he is powerless if his buddy and F1 supremo tells him to go – then go he cant repair bridges with manufacturers – they have said they want him to go as well and leaders of state – who would want to be photographed shaking hands with him??
    Max retire and just enjoy whatever private fun you can – celebrity – NO!!
    Just another sad ex public schoolboy – read tom browns schooldays and you have the background – sad really

11. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd June 2008, 13:38

I think Mosley himself is the best person to answer that Rohan: Why Max Mosley should quit – in his own words

12. Cooperman said on 2nd June 2008, 14:57

I agree with Jackie Stewart; regardless of whether the Nazi slant is true, or whether or not The News Of The World are an authority on morals, you simply cannot have the head of an international organisation being associated with this sort of behaviour.

It’s not a case of whether it’s Mosley’s private business or not because the stark reality of it is that it’s now in the public domain. Therefore it’s public. You can’t hide it away somewhere – it’s now in the open.

The FIA, the brands of Formula 1, Rallying, GP2, Touring Cars, etc. etc. and all of the billion dollar names associated with these series are now all linked with this story that’s been going on now since March.

If all of the people and brands he ‘represented’ as President were part of a normal democracy and weren’t concerned with the possible outcomes of voting against Mosley and the President retaining his power, he’d have been forced out back in March.

His behaviour since the story broke (which is certainly public) is every bit as disgraceful as his the allegations put forward in the British press.

13. Bernies latest comments on this make interesting reading – he says that everyone in a position of power who speaks to him is urging Max to resign (but why are they talking to Bernie and not the FIA?), and he is willing to stand by Max and help him resign now and not face the vote, so that he can carry on doing the good work in the FIA, just not as President (but is this Bernie as a friend or Bernie as FOG?)
    I have that a bit garbled, but read the reports in the newspapers and you will see what I mean.
    If Bernie is a friend, why is he urging Max to go, and if this is Bernie as FOG, is it any of his concern what happens within the FIA?

14. I voted for ‘Don’t know,’ for two reasons.

a) It’s the racing I’m interested in, and not the politics.

b) I don’t know who was in the wrong, Max or the newspaper. If Max wants to be involved with 5 prostitutes, then let him. News of the World did invade his privacy, and I understand Max suing the newspaper. But I’m not a fan of Max in the first place and it doesn’t really make me feel sympathy for him.

15. cyanide said on 2nd June 2008, 18:13

Should he resign? Don’t know, leaning towards “No”
    Should everyone move on and find another reason to hate him? Yes. It’s getting boring I think. Mosley can go shag animals for all I care. As long as it’s not frontpage news, I don’t really give a damn. Besides, do you really need to look far to find some other criticism about him? Everything he does/doesn’t do is criticised anyways.

1 2 3