French GP preview: Predictions

Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa, Lewis Hamilton, Magny-Cours, 2007, 470150

Who’s going to win the French Grand Prix?

Ferrari look set to be very strong this weekend and Lewis Hamilton is out of contention for the win before practice has even begun. Read my podium prediction below and make your own.

Ferrari look irresistible this weekend – indeed, they often have at Magny-Cours. In the past 11 races here they’ve won seven times and finished one-two last year.

This time last year we saw Kimi Raikkonen assert himself after a difficult start to the year. I’d put my money on him doing the same again and edging team mate Felipe Massa. He proved last year he could beat Massa even starting behind him – just as he did at Sepang this year.

Although Massa has qualified strongly this year Magny-Cours, oddly, tends not to favour the pole sitter. In the last ten races at Magny-Cours the pole sitter has only won three times.

Hamilton will have done something truly remarkable if he managed to get even on the bottom step of the podium but starting no better than 11th it should be impossible for him if the front runners keep their noses clean.

With a pace advantage over BMW, McLaren’s Heikki Kovalainen should be back on the podium for the first time since Sepang. So my podium prediction is:

1. Kimi Raikkonen
2. Felipe Massa
3. Heikki Kovalainen

No-one managed to nail the top three last time – least of all myself – but M Smith, Mac, Martin Land theRoswelite correctly predicted Robert Kubica’s maiden Grand Prix victory.

What is your podium prediction for the French Grand Prix?

Join in more discussions on the F1 Fanatic Forum

40 comments on French GP preview: Predictions

1 2 3
  1. David Watkins said on 19th June 2008, 23:32

1) Massa

2) Kubica

3) Raikkonen

2. Internet said on 19th June 2008, 23:55

Massa
    Kubica
    Heikki

3. My prediction is:

Kovi goes very light to try and spoil the Ferrari party but falls back behind Kubica at the pit stops. Hamilton goes lighter still for p11. Massa goes light to try and prevent Kovi doing it and suffers at the put stops falling back behind Kimi who therefore starts third (or maybe even fourth) but ends up first having fueled longest.

So Kimi, Kubica, and I’m going to go out on a limb and say Hamilton on a four stopper purely as a result of Kovi / Massa trying to out de-party each other.

4. Gman said on 20th June 2008, 0:47

1. Massa
    2. Raikkonen
    3. Kubica

7. 1. Kimi
    2. Kubica
    3. Kovi

Just ‘cos I like the letter K today for some reason :)

8. F1Fan said on 20th June 2008, 4:37

I agree w/ Keith’s prediction. BMW is out of its waters here and Heiki is due for a strong result. The Ferraris will win this GP walking and Kimi should edge Felipe.

1. Kimi
    2. Massa
    3. Heiki

9. Poledancer said on 20th June 2008, 5:27

1. Kimi
    2. Massa
    3. Kubica

10. Kimi looks strong for a comeback from the unfortunate pitstop fiasco. He will be my bet for the top step. I have a feeling Hiekki’s time is right around the corner. Renault’s Barcelona test looked good, so hoping a mix of possible rain and upgrades will get them on the podium.

1. Kimi
    2. Hiekki
    3. Alonso

If there is rain, it could be lot more like a lottery. Wouldnt bet against Alonso and Lewis then.

11. Journeyer said on 20th June 2008, 8:34

1. Kimi
    2. Massa
    3. Kubica

Robert finished P4 here last year, and that was coming from a crash!

12. 1. Massa
    2. Heikki
    3. Kimi

13. Scott Joslin said on 20th June 2008, 10:25

I am going out on a limb here

Kovi
    Kimi
    Massa

I think I have had too much coffee this morning!

14. Kimi
    Heikki
    Massa

15. francois said on 20th June 2008, 10:38

I’m thinking it might be worth Heikki being very lightly fuelled so he gets pole easily.Then in the race from that position he’ll be told to lap very slowly like Villeneuve did in Suzuka 97′ so keep the field bunched together to help Lewis overtake some cars for as long as possible.

Suppose the only problem with that is finding clear air with Lewis so he could put his fast McLaren to use – and he’ll be lightly fuelled as well so he doesn’t end up too far behind.

My podium : Felipe , Heikki , Kimi by the way.

1 2 3