David Coulthard to retire from Formula 1 at the end of this season

David Coulthard, Silverstone, test, 2008, 470150

David Coulthard has announced his decision to retire from F1 at the end of 2008. This weekend’s British Grand prix will be his last.

You can read his statement in full here.

David Coulthard: the driver debates
David Coulthard biography

33 comments on David Coulthard to retire from Formula 1 at the end of this season

1 2 3
  1. Chalky said on 3rd July 2008, 15:24

I was hoping for one more season from DC.
    I just thought that the new rules in ’09 would give Red Bull and DC a chance. Oh well, I wonder if he has something lined up that he’s keeping quiet about?

2. George said on 3rd July 2008, 15:35

Well, I think that Christian Horner pretty much hit the nail on the head – a gentleman, a consummate professional and a fine racing driver who, on his day, was capable of beating the very best.

DC has had an immensely successful career and he’s carried it all off in a dignified and stylish way. I hope that he races strongly in these final races and I think he’ll be missed.

Of course, the next question is, who will fill that vacant Red Bull? The merry-go-round keeps on turning.

3. Pedro Andrade said on 3rd July 2008, 15:41

Vettel will probably fill the vacancy.

4. Sassan said on 3rd July 2008, 15:43

I respect DC decision. He raced for the best and competed against the best. I would of thought that he would be part of the new BBC f1 team next year. He’ll be missed and i have certainly enjoyed watching him in the past 13 years.

5. Architrion said on 3rd July 2008, 16:06

I liked this guy a lot, and fulled supported him on his battle against Mika, Michael and all that stuff. He is a lucky boy, an aerial accident survival. The races after that accident were really wonderful to see, David seemed to believe that he was inmortal, and raced like never did after that.

Respect to a truly racer from a fan.

6. So, Keith, he did it.

I always liked David and his “open mouth” way of life, a truly rare spirit in nowadays. His “middle finger” to Michael was something that some guys always want to do and just David to do it for ourselves…

Thanks David!

We will miss him…

7. Adam said on 3rd July 2008, 16:35

About time.

I’ll miss his excuses.

8. Robert Mckay said on 3rd July 2008, 16:40

It’s a shame he’s retiring. He’s a genuinely good, nice guy (though that, as we know, does not translate to ruthless winning racing driver). He’s been the guy I’ve supported for a decade. I’m not sure who else will fill that gap for me. But I do think it’s probably the right time – he’s not going to do a Damon.

I think the only thing now is that if he has a few duff races and it looks like he’s cruising along, there might well be a temptation to ask him to leave earlier and let his replacement settle in and get a few races before ’09 proper.

9. donwatters said on 3rd July 2008, 16:48

After reading his retirement statment I was suprised he didn’t thank his fans for their support over the years. He thanked everyone else…including B. Ecclestone…but forgot his fans. A bit shabby, don’t you think?

10. verasaki said on 3rd July 2008, 16:48

too bad but, time is time. i really wasn’t a great fan but always respected his take on things and honestly, i thought he sort of got shafted by williams when they tried to bring mansell back. i never thought of williams in the same way after that.

11. M Smith said on 3rd July 2008, 16:52

It’s a shame to see him go, but he has made the right decision in retiring this year, another year and his performance would have probably dropped abit too much. I argee with McKay, at least he’s not doing a Damon!

Now to see whether he will still give it 100% for the final races, it would be great for him to be on the podium one more time this year.

Vettel is for certain going to Red Bull next year now.

12. f1freak said on 3rd July 2008, 17:06

definatly vettel is going to RBR…but who is going to buy STR?????????????? why doest stupid AUDI steps in…i really like them….STR are interested in car manufacturers.. see this link

13. William Wilgus said on 3rd July 2008, 18:35

In other words, they didn’t offer to re-new or extend his contract, and nobody else was interested.

14. Loki said on 3rd July 2008, 18:38

Sorry to see him go, although it’s nice to see his veteran status still have value within Red Bull for them to keep him on as a consultant. For the period he’s ran for, its unsurprising that he’s the highest British F1 points scorer of all time – with only perhaps a slight disappointment in that he started with Williams and then 9 seasons with McLaren without having won a championship. But to be kept in the Woking garage for that long is perhaps testament to his career in itself.

I hope he does achieve the podium, at the British GP if not anywhere else remaining this season.

We really are entering a new phase of F1 where a lot of young blood is coming in, and it’s good to see him step down on his accord…he sometimes came across as a bit defensive when accusations are made against his performance (as most drivers would be), but he seems a nice and decent guy through and through.

15. With DC’s departure, 2009 will be the first season of F1 I have watched which doesn’t involve a driver with a square head. Is there anyone in GP2 who can fill this void?

1 2 3