Do you use earplugs at F1 races?

Earplugs

Judging by the number of entries to the Kangaroo TV competition last week plenty of you are heading to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix this weekend.

So where do you all stand on the controversial question of earplugs? Are they an essential part of an F1 weekend, or do they ruin the exhilarating blast of noise from 20 F1 V8 engines?

Mechanics who work on F1 engines know the importance of wearing earplugs to protect their hearing.

But for fans who probably only get to see F1 cars in the metal once a year, and are several metres away behind high fences, are ear plugs really necessary?

I think so – and I always wear ear defenders at F1 racers. Partly for the benefit of my hearing, but also so I can plug in earphones and listen to the race coverage on the radio so I can hear what?s going on.

Which do you choose ?ǣ ear plugs, ear defenders, or naked ears?

More information on going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone

34 comments on Do you use earplugs at F1 races?

1 2 3
  1. I use earplugs when I’m watching F1 at home, so I don’t have to listen to James Allen.

2. sChUmAcHeRtHeGrEaTeStEvEr said on 3rd July 2008, 13:28

i have only been to 1 grand prix, the 2002 british grand prix. i did not wear ear plugs but by the end of the day i found myself wincing as the cars came past. i am going this weekend and will definitley be buying a pair.

3. Loki said on 3rd July 2008, 13:33

Lol, Jack :D

Not been to an F1 race, but I wear earplugs regularly anyway (tinnitus sufferer) and carrying a set with me all the time…I remember coming back from a Renault World Series a couple of years ago, having forgot earplugs and I was still suffering days after even using the little squidgy foamy plugs supplied!

I’d definately recommend ear plugs to people who don’t already use them (not just for race purposes, but gigs, airshows, whatever)…invest in a £15-£40 pair…they are not visually obvious, and are quite comfortable – moreover, they do not take away from any enjoyment/experience from what you are doing and you protect your ears.

4. Fernando said on 3rd July 2008, 14:18

I went to the Canadian Grand Prix last month and the first day we were there on Friday for Practice 2, I forgot my ear plugs in the hotel and I regretted it, that stuff is super loud. I did wear them for the next 2 days for sure. Let me just put it to you this way. I was in the Marines, and went to the firing range multiple times shooting fully auto machine guns and grenade launchers and that’s nothing compared to 20 F1 cars on the track.

5. DexterSF said on 3rd July 2008, 14:21

Some advice from someone who suffers from tinnitus.. GET EARPLUGS!! When I go to sleep in a silent room all I can hear is a background hum and it’s a nightmare. You don’t know how much damage you’ve done until its too late which makes it that much more important to get in there early with some plugs. If you really need to hear the true volume of an F1 car then take them out for a few passes and then get them back in. Besides, good earplugs take down the level of all frequencies roughly equally so you don’t loose the essence of the sound.

6. Seb Carter said on 3rd July 2008, 14:21

I went to the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2007 and i did use earplugs for that race. You see, the loudest noise occurs when the cars exhausts are in your direction, and when they really floor it the noise, although orgasm inducing, is earth shatteringly loud. From my experience it depends on what part of the circuit you are at. If you are say, at Spa, on the downhil run to eau rouge (where i have also been) earplugs are a absolute must. You will be hearing nothing but high pitch noises for days after. However, if you are at, let us say, at the Hungaroring, then you can survive without earplugs because they aren’t flooring it as much.

However, to be on the safe side, bring ear plugs just in case!

7. Diacho said on 3rd July 2008, 14:45

Not at all!!! I’ve been to the Brazilian GP plenty of times, and never used earplugs! The noise is amazing!! I LOVE it!
    Missed the V8′s last year though… But the V10′s are fantastic. I can only dream of what it would be like to listen to the huge V12′s of yesteryear…

8. Sush said on 3rd July 2008, 14:51

thoroughly recomended, moulded to your inner ear, crystal clear sound…. none of the damage

Seb Carter “noise, although orgasm inducing”

LOL, noise that causes an orgasm?, shall be known from this day forth as EARGASM.

9. mJohnHurt said on 3rd July 2008, 14:51

As the son of an otolaryngologist I’m contractually compelled to state that hearing loss due to exposure to routinely loud noises cannot be repaired and is permanent. Also, it happens over time so you don’t notice it happening until it’s too late. So, I always wear ear plugs at races…

That said, I also always get as close to the track as I can and watch a couple of laps w/ no plugs in. Satisfies a primal need, and I don’t have a headache at the end of the day =).

10. Unfortunately it’s a matter of bare practicality.

The noise is undoubtedly one of the most visceral and exciting parts of live racing, especially as it sounds so different from the televised version.

But earache is no fun at all and it takes me around two hours to get it. So it’s earplugs for me. It’s not like they are superglued into your ears on arrival at the track, and you can never take them out again.

I would definitely advise first-timers to take a pair along to the track with them.

11. Sush said on 3rd July 2008, 14:54

Diacho, V12′s don’t sound as good as V10′s, when it comes to engines a multiple of 2 makes it sound meatier.

a multiple of 3, such as a V6 or V12 sound organised…. due to the pistons firing in line. So its like a whine instead of that huge gurgle you get from V8′s and V10′s.

12. I use the radio, so no earplugs as such, although I love the sound of the engines, me and my husband often debate at each race which power plant is the noisy-est…last year we thought the Super Aguri, wonder who it will be this weekend?

13. verasaki said on 3rd July 2008, 15:16

totally naked ears. honestly i love the sounds. and i sort of doubt that if after a mis spent youth of standing in front of and as close to some of the loudest rock acts to ever grace the planet a weekend of f1 engines from time to time can do any more damage.

14. mJohnHurt said on 3rd July 2008, 15:34

@verasaki – if you are saying “I don’t care if I hurt my hearing more than I have”, then more power to you. If you really mean what you have written you are wrong. If you can hear anything at all, you can do more damage. The tympanic membrane (your eardrum) vibrates when it is hit with sound waves, transfers through the ear bones, and up your cochlea to be changed into electrical stimuli. Excessively loud noises cause that membrane to stretch ever so slightly beyond its original taughtness. As it it is stretched, it does not return to form. Over time as the stretching increases, it loses taughtness and the ability to communicate the soundwaves through the middle ear. Just because you have _some_ hearing loss now does not mean you cannot add to it. There’s not some theoretical limit wear, having heard a noise at volume X, hearing any noise at a volume less than X can’t do any more damage.

So, like I said, to anyone who approaches the situation knowing that hearing loss is a possibility, good on ya, but to suffer further loss due to lack of knowledge seems pointless.

15. nellyweb said on 3rd July 2008, 15:59

I suggest leaving them off for the start, then getting them in ASAP!! Once your hearing is gone – it’s gone for good.

1 2 3