2009 F1 game will be sim – Codemasters

Formula 1 World Championship Edition, Playstation 3

Codemasters’ 2009 F1 game will be a simulator as well as an arcade-style racing game according to one of the company’s executive producers.

The producer, who posts as ‘Uncle Chewy’ on the Codemasters forum and worked on racing titles “Colin McRae: DIRT” and “Race Driver: GRID” said the F1 game will be significantly different from those titles (emphasis added):

GRID and DiRT are aimed at an arcade audience and they do that very well. F1 has different requirements and will get a completely different treatment from our in-house team, including full on sim options, physics, rules and regs etc. We will also have arcade requirements catered for as well. How this will be split we do not know yet, but split it will be.

This news will surely be welcomed by the many fans who responded to the 2009 F1 game wish list asking for arcade and simulation modeos in the game.

It’s really encouraging to see how Codemasters are listening and responding to F1 fans and I hope they take on board many of the suggestions in the wish list – not just mine, but many of yours too:

• “Include a ??coaching?? segment to actually tell people how to do it right” – Fred Scheckter
  • “Why don?t they let you control the celebration scenes, where you could spray champagne over the drivers/cameraman at your will? Players will probably like this kind of fun freedom.” – Dom
  • “For a proper career mode they could include the junior racing categories that f1 drivers go through – karts, Formula Ford, Formula BMW, Formula Renault, Formula 3, GP2 etc.” – Mute
  • “They need to take a look at how detailed Geoff Crammonds GrandPrix 4 was, in terms of being able to change all aspects of the car, the ride heights/springs/dampers/brakes/gear ratios/wing angles. etc.” – Ross
  • “Convincing damage modelling! If I touch a barrier or another car I don?t want to just bounce off it. I want to see carbon fibre literring the track and affecting the driving line.” – Andrew
  • More of your suggestions

More on Codemasters’ new F1 game

Via 666PS3

32 comments on 2009 F1 game will be sim – Codemasters

1 2 3
  1. Kester said on 8th July 2008, 14:20

Great find Keith, I’m looking forward to this game even more now!

This and Forza 3, if they actually get around to announcing that.

2. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th July 2008, 14:31

Thanks Kester – spotted it on a PS3 blog which I linked to above. However the game is supposed to be multi-format with Xbox 360 and PC versions as well, and maybe others.

3. TommyB said on 8th July 2008, 15:05

I have rFactor so I was not too bothered about this. Hearing about this game though has really got me tempted to buying this. Especially if its online

4. Scott Joslin said on 8th July 2008, 15:23

This is great news! I have been really enjoying GRID however it is very arcade focused. However the single seater classes in the game create a great feel for the weight of the car and also a feeling you are running really low to the ground which the current F1 CE games does not.

I hope they can get it out for early 2009

5. diseased rat said on 8th July 2008, 16:07

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in professional mode with all the driving aids turned off is another pretty decent simulation. I hope they take a look at the F2007 in that game as well.

6. AndyWolf said on 8th July 2008, 16:16

Hope it’s better than GRID…. What a disappointment this has turned out to be. Looks nice, but racing is very much arcade rather than sim.

7. diseased rat said on 8th July 2008, 16:38

In fairness to GRID it never purported to be anything other than an arcade game. And it’s a great fun one at that, but not a serious racer by any means.

8. Jay said on 8th July 2008, 17:04

I want a “history of F1″ game, i.e. the ability to race in a ’55 Mercedes, at the ‘Ring, as Senna………..

They could easily sell this alongside a 2009 season game.

9. Nico Savidge said on 8th July 2008, 20:49

Will the game be sold in the US?

10. mute said on 8th July 2008, 22:33

Hopefully it won’t be based on the the 2009 season unless they release it in 2010.

The game should be like a review of the season gone. that way teams dropping out wont be left in the final product – or drivers for that matter (Uji Ide, Jacques Villeneuve in the previous game).

Another thing that would be dumb is calling it 2009 and basing it on 2008. Like all them idiot Americans do.

11. Steve K said on 9th July 2008, 1:09

I went online and purchased an older EA F1 game from the UK only to find it was not compatible to the US version of playstation2. I didn’t even know there was a difference. Any American’s wanting this game better buy it from an American merchant.

Codemasters made an Indycar game a few years back. It is marginally fun, but that year IRL ovals only so it is a tad repetitive. The car graphics don’t fit the track graphics too well and the turning doesn’t feel right to me (full disclosure, I have never driven an Indycar). I hope technology has gotten better at Codemasters because this game could be great.

12. Noel said on 9th July 2008, 6:36

“Big Company Listens to General Public Shock!”

Well done Codemasters. Now if we could only get the FIA to open an ear…

13. GRID is great but the F1 game will have to take a different approach – and I’m glad to hear that’s what Codemasters are doing.

Give them a chance, I think they might just be able to pull off development successfully and create an impressive game.

Fingers crossed.

14. M Smith said on 9th July 2008, 18:33

It is good to see that Codemasters appreciate the Formula One license and are taking note of the fans requests for the game.

Fingers crossed that they deliver, but this news is a fair step in the right direction.

15. I am thrilled to see Codemasters taking this game seriously. Although both Colin McRae DiRT and Race Driver GRID were very arcade like in their game play, I enjoy both. However, as an avid Formula One fan I really want to see this game being as realistic as possible. Although I still play F1:CE on PS3 during the course of a Grand Prix weekend, and really needed far more work than it received. Hopefully, now that Codemasters have the license they can bring Formula One games back to glory. I can’t wait till it is released!

1 2 3