Which F1 drivers do you like? (Poll)

Drivers, Melbourne, 2008, Red Bull, 470150

Two weeks ago I asked you to select which F1 teams you like to find out which were the most popular.

BMW came out on top, just ahead of Williams, with Toyota in last. You can see the full results of the poll here.

Now let’s find out which are the most popular drivers. Cast your votes below.

As before you can vote for more than one driver, so select the drivers you like:

Which F1 drivers do you like? (Select one or more)

• Kimi Raikkonen (4%)
  • Felipe Massa (2%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (1%)
  • Robert Kubica (67%)
  • Fernando Alonso (8%)
  • Nelson Piquet Jnr (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Kazuki Nakajima (1%)
  • David Coulthard (2%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Jarno Trulli (1%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Sebastien Bourdais (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (1%)
  • Jenson Button (1%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (2%)
  • Adrian Sutil (1%)
  • Giancarlo Fisichella (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (1%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (2%)

Total Voters: 21,567

Loading ... Loading ...

View results from all F1 Fanatic polls here

Comments have been split across multiple pages. If you’re having trouble viewing the pages click here to see all comments.

197 comments on Which F1 drivers do you like? (Poll)

1. Scott Joslin said on 14th July 2008, 14:53

Funny that despite a lot of people liking Williams in the last pole, none of their drivers are really big hitters in the favourite drivers stakes (at the moment). The team’s brand image and heritage must offer some other kind of appeal to racing fans.

2. means: “LOL” or “ah ah” in spanish…

3. I don’t know, there is always one driver that just irritates me to no end. In most seasons, that driver is the one who makes the most excuses.

Massa only shows real pace on Tilke tracks on a sunny day. That to me says that there are more deserving all-around drivers who would perform much better (or more consistently at least) in his car. He’s certainly proven me wrong a couple of times this year, but I think that if he wins the Championship, or indeed, any Formula 1 World Championship, it will be through the other drivers’ mistakes and misfortunes rather than his own pace and racecraft. (One could argue that that’s how many if not all championships are won and lost, but I’m an idealist, and I still believe the idea of a ‘championship’ is to reward the driver with the greatest skill and speed over the course of the season.) He is happy-go-lucky, I’ll give him that.

Keith: your recent article for F1 Pitlane went over huge with me! :)

4. Loki said on 14th July 2008, 15:04

“Does Massa still deserve the hate? He’s won 3 races in the post-TC era.”

I’m guessing that not everyone bases their likening to a driver on performance alone. (Otherwise most of the drivers won’t be doing as well as the top lineups).

Although I’m quite surprised at people pointing out Massa so early in the poll, that wasn’t really expected! I don’t really rate him that highly as a driver, but he seems like a joyful and genuine little character that makes him somewhat likeable.

5. Pedro Andrade said on 14th July 2008, 15:12

I would have voted for many of them, so I chose to vote only for the two I like best: Kubica and Vettel. Interesting to see that Kubica is now leading, is it because he’s doing so well now?

6. William Wilgus said on 14th July 2008, 15:17

`Like’. I don’t mean to be `picky’, but is that as a person or driver? Since I’ve not met any of them, I’m not really qualified to decide if they’re nice persons or not; and since I rarely get to view them driving—and only via video, I’m not really in a position to judge their driving skills except via race results.

Since different teams’ cars have different capabilities, results are hardly a fair measure. Take Massa’s terrible showing at Silverstone in the rain. I seem to remember one wet race that he did very well. Was Silverstone him, the car, the strategy, or just a bad day for him?

7. Internet said on 14th July 2008, 15:18

It seems Massa is disliked purely because he is making Kimi look mediocre on certain races and not the “fastest man” in F1 like everyone used to claim.

8. TommyB said on 14th July 2008, 15:43

True internet. I dont think people like drivers because of how good they are. I dislike Mark Webber after his remarks about Vettel (one of my faves) after Fuji

9. Zebra said on 14th July 2008, 15:48

@Internet

No, stuff like Silverstone is why he’s disliked.

10. F1Fan said on 14th July 2008, 15:59

Internet,

get on w/ the game, bud. Massa is a mediocre driver in a top car and can only challenge Kimi on 2-3 circuits and only on the dry. That’s the extent of his ability.

Kimi is untouchable in terms of raw speed … anywhere.

11. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th July 2008, 16:04

It would be useful to hear more of why certain peolpe like the drivers they do – is it because of personality or performance?

12. TommyB said on 14th July 2008, 16:24

I like drivers because…
    This is the reason I like certain drivers Keith,

Hamilton – He’s a bit of a boring chap, in his interviews he has to be all clean cut and perfect but thats just McLaren. When he gets into a race car though his driving is great to watch, especially last year throwing the car around Monaco was a highlight. Also he’s not afraid to have a lunge up the inside of someone (Kimi at Monza and Barrichello at Brazil come to mind)

Alonso – Extremely fast, I started supporting him in 2003 when he signed to Renault. He moans a lot about things but a lot of it I think is the press exadurating. Also the Hamilton Alonso spat made F1 great even when there was no racing.

You could say I like them for different reasons

13. Pedro Andrade said on 14th July 2008, 16:25

I sterted liking Kubica and Vettel at around the same time, when Kubica got promoted to the race seat at BMW at 2006 and Vettel started to shine on Fridays. Apart from the speed they both obviously have, they strike me as unpretentious folks (I could be horribly wrong on this).

14. Purely on performance I would have chosen Kimi, Kubica and Hamilton – but I think the person outside the car is important too, after all you asked who we liked rather than who we thought the best drivers are!

Therefore, I chose DC, Heikki and Kimi – DC just because he says whatever needs to be said, seems funny and generally a nice bloke. Heikki again seems to have a decent sense of humour and is pretty genuine when it comes to mistakes (something I think is important).

Kimi is slightly harder to explain – he is the opposite of what we should like in a driver to a certain extent. I can’t see him being as willing with interviews to Finnish TV as Lewis Hamilton is with ITV for example! He is perhaps likeable for the other side of things, maybe a more old-fashioned driver who simply turns up, does the very minimum he has to outside of the car but then blows you away with what happens on-track.

15. donwatters said on 14th July 2008, 16:28

I like DC because he’s somewhat of a throwback to earlier, more fun F1 days. I like Lewis because he’s the new (among several others) young gun. And unlike a number of previous commenters, I like Massa. He’s just seems to be a fun, happy-go-lucky guy. Plus, he’s a proven driver of merit.