Video lap of the Valencia F1 street circuit

The new Valencia F1 street track was used for the first time for a race meeting last weekend. Here’s a video showing a lap of the new Circuito Urbano Valencia onboard a GT car:

The lap begins with the tight left before the start/finish straight. See below for more videos of the track and a map of the circuit

Circuit Urbano Valencia track map

More Valencia street circuit videos

The videos confirm an impression of a generally quick street course with decent amounts of run-off for such a confined space.

The long straight into the tight right/left/right bend looks like being the most likely spot for overtaking. It looks quite narrow in places though.

You can see an earlier 3D rendered lap of the track here.

More information on the 2008 European Grand Prix

41 comments on Video lap of the Valencia F1 street circuit

1. Scott Joslin said on 30th July 2008, 16:11

I agree with the comparison to Detroit, those curved parts that lead on to the straights will be interesting to see if they create over taking or restrict it.

From first glance it looks like a track that will favour Mclaren and Alonso because of the bumps and aggression required.

I can foresee a lot of drivers making friends with the concrete wall at this track!

I think when we see the track from the outside it will give it more character when we can see the harbor.

2. TommyB said on 30th July 2008, 16:47

“I think when we see the track from the outside it will give it more character when we can see the harbor”

And when 200,000 people are there! :D

3. Steven Roy said on 30th July 2008, 16:55

It’s interesting to see a track from a driver’s view first instead of from helicopters or other high angle shots. It will look completely different on TV.

Personally I think F1 should be run at Spa, Suzuka, Zandvoort, Oesterreichring and the like not in a glorified go-kart track in a city centre just to suit the glitterati who will have a great weekend apart from the racket from those damn cars.

4. Chaz said on 30th July 2008, 18:26

I guess everybody just wants to know if the track allows for a decent race that will include chances for overtaking? Other than that I’m not sure if it matters where it is, does it? Valencia is a great place though.

5. frecon said on 30th July 2008, 18:32

Here you have some external shots of the races in the Valencia track.

I have to say that I’m a little bit dissapointed with the track. The onboard footage are pretty ugly, and even being a good track to race, looks very unpersonal on this videos.

I don’t think an F1 race there could be funny. It looks to me easy defends position, and very difficult overtake if your rivla doesn’t make any mistake.

6. jay said on 30th July 2008, 20:43

i’m going and have tickets for T18 which looks a pretty good place to see some over taking .
    especially if you get the exit after the bridge wrong.

7. Alonso follower said on 30th July 2008, 23:36

No wonder what F1 is called a “circus” I’m no professional but this one looks miles behind a dedicated circuit in terms of safety. There are other race tracks in Spain (Jerez?) that maybe could host an event of this magnitude. However, Valencia probably had the money in the pocket to bring the “circus” part in…

8. Dan M said on 31st July 2008, 0:19

Nothing like the sound of a V10 on an F1 track…. oh wait its a Viper.

9. Dan M said on 31st July 2008, 0:28

way off, nevermind

10. David G said on 31st July 2008, 2:39

Looking at the video I can see the first few corners being very important. Qualifying will be very important. There was alot of rubbing going on at the GT event at the first couple of corners.

So I ask how many will crash(be taken out) in the first lap? 5 cars.

11. Hi,

Anybody here plays F1 Challenge? If yes, does anybody know whether there is a track ready for the Valencia and Singapore race? You can email me at alvin@aigroupholdings.com.

Regards

12. It looks dangerous, I wonder how much Valencia paid to get it, and what the pilot association think about the new street circuits.

13. martinb said on 31st July 2008, 10:55

Yeah, the circuit looks a bit wall-e

14. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st July 2008, 11:05

(Off topic – I saw Wall-E last night! Really good film.)

To be honest I was a bit worried there weren’t going to be enough walls at Valencia. Without walls it’s not really a street circuit. The point of street tracks is if you make a mistake it’s basically game over and F1’s really been missing that.

For example, have a look at this awesome lap with Juan Pablo Montoya qualifying at Detroit in CART in 1999:

He gets so close to the walls in places, even kicking up dust as he nudges one of them. Thrilling stuff. More of that in F1 please!

15. Not impressed, I must say. Reminds me of the old US street races at Detroit and Phoenix, and they were hardly great venues.

Still, it’s no worse than a race at the *other* circuit in Valencia would be

16. Check out the contact the competitors make with each other in race 2.

I like the wide runoff zones. I hope the Indy street venues from the design and tries to create them in some of the street venues, where possible. As much as it may seem daring to know that a car will end its race against a concrete barrier if the car accidentally goes wide, I’d much rather see some punishing run-off area to ruin the driver’s day without bringing on the full-course caution and the safety car. It will also ensure fearless speeding.

It’s good that the curves are re-curbed into kink+hairpin complexes, but after the fifth one it gets as old as leaving the right-angles in would have gotten.

Let’s not kid ourselves, however- tall concrete barriers are the only view to be had by this sort of race, so the only hopes lie in the cars and racers themselves to make the venue a winner. I see some potential. If it works out well, I hope they’ll look at Monaco footage to consider installing Armco for these new street courses. Why Armco? Monaco is visible and gorgeous from all corners and all cars precisely because there aren’t those tall concrete barriers and fences ruining the view of a beautiful city. It requires investment and a certain amount of financial bravery to duplicate such an event.

17. MarathonMan801 said on 2nd August 2008, 11:21

The comparison to Monaco isn’t exact as Monaco has something very valuable that Valencia does not.
    Gradient.
    Change of view line, alteration of camber through gradient, unexpected apexes becuase of gradient. Monaco has them but Valencia won’t.
    The dive downhill from the Casino Square or down to the Portier (spelling) really makes Monaco special. Val is flat, as in flat.
    Really hope it’s not a Phoenix-esque bore.

18. Juhhi said on 4th August 2008, 1:30

For me it looks very boring and nothing but concrete. Sceneries,hmmmm….what sceneries?? But for sure it will be different when it´s not seen from onboard cam. Safety areas looks also very small.
    Hoping I´m wrong but I think there will be very dangerous moments on that track. Also crashes are maybe easier to come because it looks that there is more places to try passing comparing to Monaco.
    Let see how it works….

19. I’m Happy it’s Not at all Monaco, because Monaco will stay far above any other street circuit (except for the Macau which is Great too).

AMAZINGLY There will be ANOTHER test for Monaco this Same year with Singapore – Amazing we have 2 NEW Street Circuits in 1 year after none for such a long time.

Musically –

Cor Pez

20. stormchaser said on 12th August 2008, 16:31

I like the track itself it should be very challenging for the drivers and with the championship that close maybe they’ll try harder to overtake. for the track it look likes its build in an industrial park. add more color from the sponsers and a few 100thousand screaming fan and it should live it up a little. we’ll see….