Which rookies deserve an ’09 seat? (Poll)

Sebastien Bourdais scored points on his debut but hasn\'t done since

Sebastien Bourdais scored points on his debut but hasn't done since

As reality TV becomes ever more pervasive perhaps one day motor racing fans will get to vote drivers in and out of different championships? Maybe it’s happening already somewhere?

Votes in this poll won’t decide which of the 2008 rookies get to keep their seats but let’s see who we think has done the best job so far. Do Nelson Piquet Jnr, Timo Glock, Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Bourdais deserve to be in F1 in 2009?

Cast your votes below (you can vote for as many drivers as you like):

Here’s a quick comparison of the four drivers so far:

Nelson Piquet Jnr Timo Glock Kazuki Nakajima Sebastien Bourdais
Average starting position 13.55 11.55 15.09 16.45
Points 13 13 8 2
Finishes (out of 11) 5 8 9 7

Which rookie F1 drivers deserve to keep their seat in 2009? (Vote for as many as you like)

• Nelson Piquet Jnr (25%)
  • Timo Glock (35%)
  • Kazuki Nakajima (20%)
  • Sebastien Bourdais (20%)

Total Voters: 958

Loading ... Loading ...

Here’s how I previewed the rookie contenders at the start of the year: 2008 – the rookies

40 comments on Which rookies deserve an ’09 seat? (Poll)

1 2 3
  1. For me, only Sébastien Bourdais has failed to demonstrate that he is F1 material. Nelsinho Piquet had a dire start to the season but has really upped his game in the past four or five races. Similarly, Timo Glock was pretty anonymous to begin with but his performance in Hungary alone merits a contract for another year. Kazuki Nakajima has proved a good match for Nico Rosberg.

2. graham228221 said on 6th August 2008, 15:59

I’d like to see all of them again next season, apart from bourdais. they are the new breed, and i’m sure they’ll improve.

nakajima has almost matched rosburg, nelsinho seems to have the pace and aggression (although he’s made too many mistakes by far) and glock seems to be improving (although it will be interesting to see if his recent good form continue).

with coulthard and maybe barrichello the only drivers retiring at the end of the season, new race seats will be limited and i’m hoping bourdais will be dropped so we can get more “new blood” next year.

3. Pedro Andrade said on 6th August 2008, 15:59

I couldn’t help but vote for them all. Bourdais is the one I’m still not sure about, but I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. I think only when the driver doesn’t prove anything at all (which was common when pay drivers were abundant) are teams really justified in dropping them after a very short time.

4. donwatters said on 6th August 2008, 16:03

SeaBass needs another season before he’s written off.

5. Kester said on 6th August 2008, 16:05

I agree completely doctorvee.

Bourdais is the only one I wouldn’t mind seeing leave F1, the other 3 all show promise.

6. sChUmAcHeRtHeGrEaTeStEvEr said on 6th August 2008, 16:25

i think they all deserve a chance except maybe bourdais who relative to his teammate has been quite poor but vettl looks like a star of the future. the same could be said of piquet, but i think the last few races hes been strong and if he continues like that till the end of the season i dont see any reason to drop him. nakajima has impressed me i thought hed be fast but wild and hes put in some very mature finishes to score points, his only downfall seems to be qualifying where he cant seem to beat rosberg but i think its fair to say he is out-racing him which is a very good achievemnt considering last year rosberg was being hotly tipped for the 2nd mclaren seat.

glock has been consistent, hes always there or there abouts in q2 nearly getting into q3. hes found it hard to match trulli in qualifying (not suprising as everyone knows how good jarno is in qualifying) his performance last weekend was brilliant he was quick all weekend, and i think everyone thought he would be the 1st to pit, but he wasnt. he drove a great race and thoroughly deservedhis 2nd place. i think he will get better.

7. I fear we have in this current year the poorest generation of rookies in the last four or five years…

Considering that we have this year Kubitza and Lewis fighting for the championship, and looking back what this two guys has done in their first years, this four drivers seems to be very ordinaries…

8. Pedro Andrade said on 6th August 2008, 16:46

Becken: This year’s rookies are not that shabby, especially if you compare them with the rookies from 2004 and 2005. And if we’d gone further back through the years, I’d bet the average quality would go down even further, with a raise in pay driver numbers.

2004 rookies: Christian Klien, Zsolt Baumgartner, Gianmaria Bruni and Giorgio Pantano

2005 rookies: Tiago Monteiro, Narain Karthekeyan, Christijan Albers, Patrick Friesacher, Robert Doornbos and Vitantonio Liuzzi.

2006 rookies: Robert Kubica, Nico Rosberg, Scott Speed, Sakon Yamamoto, Yuji Ide and Franck Montagny.

2007 rookies: Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen, Sebastien Vettel and Adrian Sutil (I won’t count Winkelhock).

9. Steven Roy said on 6th August 2008, 17:45

I think they all probably deserve another season. Piquet took a while to settle but he has already beaten Alonso once in a straight race so definitely worth another year. Glock just put a Toyota on a podium and even if Lewis and Massa had not dropped out he would have had an honest 4th so deserves to stay.

When Mark Hughes did his team mate comparison in Autosport the driver who came out worst compared to his team mate was Nakajima but he seems to have potential even if the rumour mill says his younger brother is the real talent.

Bourdais clearly knows how to win championships and you don’t win 4 consecutive championships at anything without having serious ability. He needs to step up next season but STR would be making a mistake to change both drivers. Besides if they are setting out to be a constructor in their own right they need some like Bourdais to develop the car unless they can get Barrichello to do that and babysit Senna.

10. michael counsell said on 6th August 2008, 18:06

Why are you categorising Glock as a rookie and not Vettel. Neither had previously completed a season and Glock had more experience of the tracks having been a Friday test driver and a former GP2 champion and Champ Car driver.

11. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th August 2008, 18:26

Michael – Because that’s how I did it in the rookie preview as well.

Looks like most people aren’t convinced by Bourdais yet. He’s said he hopes he gets to race next year because he thinks he’ll do better on slick tyres

12. Stubie said on 6th August 2008, 18:51

I did not vote for Nelsinho.

I find him to be a very capable driver, and on occasion he has shown the ability to race (was it Montreal where he sideswiped someone he was passing with a perfect “wheel touch” move?), I find him to be intelligent and thoughtful in interviews,

but…

I don’t see the fire. I don’t see the competitive burn. I like it when a losing driver is so fired up he sulks, and whines and moans and gets pi$$ed.

also,
    in a far better car than the STR’s he has finished only 5 times out of 11, and most have been his fault, unless I am mistaken.

“In order to finish first, first you must finish.”

BTW we should take note that Bourdais has shaken the wrong end of the mechanical reliability stick a few times.

love Vettel, like Kazu, want to give SeeBass another chance.

13. Polak said on 6th August 2008, 19:00

I didn’t vote for Nakajima. I wish him all the worst after he took out Kubica under caution. Plus he is compared to a fresh driver as well. Nelson has a double world champion, and Glock has Fisi.

Bourdais is also in a bad boat because he is loosing to a new driver as well. Vettel is good and all but he is still fresh.

14. ajokay said on 6th August 2008, 19:03

Seems to be the curse of the Indycar Champion, coming into F1 and having a dismal time. It happened to Cristiano da Matta a few years back, and to a lesser extent, Villeneuve, who rarely got so much as a sniff of the podium since he won the title in 1997. I thought that was a real shame, because I really liked Jacques, and thought he deserved a far better F1 career post-1997, and I don’t want to see a similar thing happen to Seb.

But I’m sure Bourdais can’t be as bad as he’s letting on at the moment, with those four consectutive Stateside titles under his belt. I’d like to see him do better, and he’s certainly more deserving that 80% of those rookies that Pedro mentioned (wern’t 2004 and 2005 awful intake years? 10 rookies, and not a single one still driving in F1 this year).

As for the other three, they all seem to be having respectable rookie seasons, and it seems they’re only getting better as the races pass. Nakajima has been consistant, if nothing else. Glock is slowly improving, and his Hungary weekend was certainly impressive. I’m still undecided on Piquet though. We all know he lucked-in to his podium, although the final stages at Germany were far from a walk in the park with the red car behind him, but he’s still not been as consistant as either of the other two.

I voted only for Glock, as i didn’t realise i could choose more than one, so I guess that decided my favourite for me.

15. michael counsell said on 6th August 2008, 20:03

I would say he’s not a rookie any more as the Hungarian Grand Prix marked the first race he’d driven before. But up until then he was definitely a rookie and “rookie of his year” at least against he best of last year and this year. Just like Glock who’s only driven 3 races less than him but taken part in more Friday test sessions.

Considering the amount of first lap crashes Vettel’s had and that Glock has only ever had 3DNFs, Glock actually has more F1 race experience. Nakajima (also with Friday test driving experience outside of Europe) probably has more too…

1 2 3