Lewis Hamilton has had his victory in the Belgian Grand Prix taken away from him by the Belgian Grand Prix stewards.
This is an absolute travesty of a decision which mocks the notion that the FIA stewards are fair arbiters of the sport.
Hamilton cut the chicane on lap 42 of the race while alongside Raikkonen. Raikkonen forced Hamilton off the track by swerving across the front of the McLaren. Hamilton had been entirely alongside the Ferrari going into the corner.
Hamilton then let Raikkonen past him and re-took the Ferrari driver at the following corner. Despite taking the standard course of action to let Raikkonen regain his position, the stewards have stripped Hamilton of his win.
After letting Raikkonen re-pass him, Hamilton was no closer to the Ferrari driver than he had been before they went into the chicane. I do not agree any advantage was gained by Hamilton.
I also think it is disgraceful the stewards feel Raikkonen was not at fault in forcing another driver off the track. A similar piece of driving at Eau Rouge or Blanchimont could have lethal consequences.
Whether the stewards have done this to keep the championship close or keep their friends at Ferrari happy, this is an utterly lamentable decision.
It comes only two weeks after the stewards avoided stripping Felipe Massa of a win at Valencia for a clear infringement of the rules. This very weekend we saw further evidence that decision was bogus.
It is quite clear Ferrari can rely on the FIA to give them a favourable hearing at appeals.
- Forget surveys, here’s what F1 can learn from Monaco
- Why F1 should adopt the WEC’s ban on grid girls
- F1’s pitiful 18-car grid – and a good week for WEC
- Why Mercedes should block F1’s engine ‘unfreeze’
- It’s time to define and defend the DNA of Formula One
- The strange snobbery about short tracks
- Why Ferrari’s ‘fans poll’ findings can’t be trusted
- F1 should not act in haste over engine noise
- Hope and despair as F1’s new era begins
- Don’t want double points? Tell the teams that matter
Browse all comment articles
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others