Lewis Hamilton stripped of Belgian GP win – another asinine FIA decision

Felipe Massa has been given the Belgian Grand Prix win by the stewards

Felipe Massa has been given the Belgian Grand Prix win by the stewards

Lewis Hamilton has had his victory in the Belgian Grand Prix taken away from him by the Belgian Grand Prix stewards.

The stewards added 25 seconds to his race time for cutting the chicane while battling with Kimi Raikkonen, leaving him third behind Nick Heidfeld.

This is an absolute travesty of a decision which mocks the notion that the FIA stewards are fair arbiters of the sport.

Hamilton cut the chicane on lap 42 of the race while alongside Raikkonen. Raikkonen forced Hamilton off the track by swerving across the front of the McLaren. Hamilton had been entirely alongside the Ferrari going into the corner.

Hamilton then let Raikkonen past him and re-took the Ferrari driver at the following corner. Despite taking the standard course of action to let Raikkonen regain his position, the stewards have stripped Hamilton of his win.

After letting Raikkonen re-pass him, Hamilton was no closer to the Ferrari driver than he had been before they went into the chicane. I do not agree any advantage was gained by Hamilton.

I also think it is disgraceful the stewards feel Raikkonen was not at fault in forcing another driver off the track. A similar piece of driving at Eau Rouge or Blanchimont could have lethal consequences.

Whether the stewards have done this to keep the championship close or keep their friends at Ferrari happy, this is an utterly lamentable decision.

It comes only two weeks after the stewards avoided stripping Felipe Massa of a win at Valencia for a clear infringement of the rules. This very weekend we saw further evidence that decision was bogus.

It is quite clear Ferrari can rely on the FIA to give them a favourable hearing at appeals.

Browse all comment articles

430 comments on Lewis Hamilton stripped of Belgian GP win – another asinine FIA decision

1. mail123456 said on 7th September 2008, 19:06

McLaren to appeal …
    Hamilton was 6km/h slower than Kimi start finish line according to McLaren:
    “A McLaren spokesman said: “We looked at all our data and also made it available to the FIA stewards. It showed that, having lifted, Lewis was 6km/h slower than Kimi as they crossed the start/finish line.”

2. ajokay said on 7th September 2008, 19:23

****ing ****s. Seriously, if the FIA, Bernie, and all the rest of them don’t sort out the sport that they ru(i)n, I’m going to stop wasting every other weekend on their Formula.

It’s going to be no better when Jean Todt possibly takes over as the FIA top bloke, the Ferrari bias will rocket off of the scale.

Hurry up someone and create a breakaway series with decent tracks, fair and consistant rules, and cars that can follow each other closer than 2 seconds apart.

3. Spencer said on 7th September 2008, 19:25

Like most of you on here, I’m absolutely gobsmacked that Ferrari had the nerve to launch an official complaint. Their lame **** Fin stuck he car in the car in the wall and probably would have done without Lewis putting pressure on.

For all of you who disaprove of McLaren and Lewis and rib this quality site for their support just remember it is a .co.uk website and both are brits. As an Englishman, I can’t remember the last time I supported Italy in the world cup!!!!

The sooner the FIA is disbanded and replaced by an unbiased organisation the better.

Great race turned to **** by gifting it Massa, the same as it would have been unfair to gift Valencia to Lewis.

4. martinb said on 7th September 2008, 19:28

I think Hamilton did exactly the right thing. He restored the status quo ante, as the lawyers say. What more do you expect him to do — toss rose petals in Kimi’s path as he flashes by?

This penalty is ridiculous (and I’m no Hamilton fan) and the stewards should be censured.

Is there any kind of training scheme for stewards, like there is for referees?

5. Scott Joslin said on 7th September 2008, 20:06

Guys I think GrandPrix.com sum up the how the whole of F1 world perceives the FIA’s terribly inconsistant decision making.

“More important than the decision itself was the reaction to it in Formula 1 circles. There was a very clear weariness as it simply adds to the widely-held belief that Ferrari is always favoured by the decision-makers, particularly if McLaren is involved. The FIA says this is not the case, but such denials are treated with scant credibility by those in the F1 business, who have seen too many decisions that appear to have the same outcome. The big question after Spa is not whether the decisions was right or wrong – it is entirely possible that the FIA Court of Appeal will overturn it. This may help to give the Court of Appeal a little more credibility”

For those posting on here suggesting there is a bias on this web site, please grow up and learn to debate constructively, not like little children.

6. Hamilton did gain position by illegal thing but the penalty is cleary unfair for him. I think that is very bad to the sport to gain an points and wins in “green table”. The same thing I spoke about the Massa and today. Let them race on the track…

7. Keith, I’d like to bring something to your attention, I found this footage from 1979 band I really think the FIA should revisit this! It’s Gilles villeneuve vs Renรจ Arnoux and they are RACING! The FIA should not stand for this. I expect penalties to be enforced and results to be retracted.

8. Well done FIA. The best race for years, and they have soured it with an absolutely ridiculous decision which yet again makes F1 look stupid in front of the world’s media.

Forget a bias towards Ferrari, I think FIA are trying to boost viewing figures for A1GP and IRL with this sort of sham decision quite frankly.

9. SkinBintin said on 7th September 2008, 20:14

What a joke. I’ve been a fan of Formula One for years, but if this decision stands I’ll never watch another Grand Prix until the current stewards, Bernie, and Max are all replaced. What a joke. I also used to like Kimi, but some of his actions during this race have changed my opinion of him also. Dribble… Utter dribble!

10. John Beamer said on 7th September 2008, 20:15

All that needs to be said has been said. An absolute shocker of a decision – I am completely speechless.

As a fan who is going to watch the Singapore grand prix (and spend a shedload of cash) i am worried that the stewards will intervene to “ruin” the race for the benefit of Ferrari.

I’m not sure if I can ever watch another F1 grand prix again. F1 is more fixed than WWE

11. Remember Japan 2005, when Alonso cut the chicane trying to pass Klien. He let him past, then passed him at the next turn, but was told by the stewards to let Klien back past because they felt that Alonso didn’t drop back enough the first time around.

Almost identical to this one.

And yes, I also think Hamilton’s penalty was unjustified as well.

12. AndyWolf said on 7th September 2008, 20:15

Well, that’s it, I’ve had enough of this so called sport….. After Massa got off scott-free for an obvious rule infringement at Valencia, I didn’t think things could get much worse. How naive was I! I’ve already watched the incident 3 times, and I can’t see what Hamilton did wrong. He clearly let Kimi go by along the straight before overtaking again at turn 1… The FIA are a disgrace if this stands.

13. i feel cheated
    worse
    i feel treated like an idiot

14. What was the name of this organisation- FIA or FIAT? ;-) I really don’t get it – do these people have faces? How do they sleep at night?