Overtaking galore at wet Monza (Video)

Wet weather made the Monza F1 race a feast of overtaking

Wet weather made the Monza F1 race a feast of overtaking

It doesn’t usually rain on the Italian Grand Prix but the wet surface at Monza – just as at Silverstone and Spa – gave us some excellent racing.

Here’s video of some of the best passes and key incidents involving Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen, Mark Webber, Jarno Trulli, David Coulthard and others:

Lewis Hamilton passes Giancarlo Fisichella, Kimi Raikkonen and others

Lewis Hamilton passed car after car in the early stages of the race. Here are some of his moves.

Jarno Trulli passes Robert Kubica, Felipe Massa passes Mark Webber

Trulli lunged past Kubica at the Della Roggia chicane – but Kubica’s perfectly timed pit stop meant he ended up back in front of the Toyota in third while Trulli finished out of the points.

Massa changed onto standard wet tyres a lap before Webber and used that to pass him on the approach to Ascari. Webber spun as they came out of the bend.

Italian Grand Prix incidents

Here’s some of the moves that didn’t work. Fisichella crashed after hitting David Coulthard’s Red Bull. Hamilton put Timo Glock wide, Jenson Button and Nelson Piquet banged wheels, and Coulthard collided with Kazuki Nakajima.

50 comments on Overtaking galore at wet Monza (Video)

1 2 3 4
  1. Hamilton drove great today, but he showed some bad manners. The vs Webber video is one example, but he did two more rude manoeuvres. That’s not wise, given the love FIA has for McLaren…

2. Ponzonha, at the risk of being polemical, I think with the lack of support from most other drivers for the Spa decision, Hamilton was out to make point. Point made, I thought. And to be honest, if you’re talking about the Glock pass, I really don’t think he expected Glock to be where he was – he was angling for the next curve more than cutting him off. As for Webber, frankly I loved it. Look carefully and you’ll see Hamilton defended by moving across (not weaving), it’s Webber who bounces Hamilton but loses control. 1-0 Hamilton. Tough luck Webber.

3. Fer no.65 said on 14th September 2008, 19:35

Ponzonha is right… I really think some talk about Hamilton as a superstar while overtaking but he’s quite dirty when he does it…

but it’s better to discuss that on other topic xP

4. Sooooperpigdog said on 14th September 2008, 20:02

Ponzonha, he may have shown some bad manners today, but it’s nothing worse than Schumacher did over the years, oh but i forgot, Lewis is English & doesnt drive a red car….. I think, however, David is spot on in his analysis, he’s a true racer who owes nothing (especially after Spa) to his ‘fellow’ drivers. I can almost hear Lewis saying, sod ‘em all, I’m coming through. It was just a pity they put wets on rather than inters…..

5. No particular pro-Hamilton axe to grind, but it seemed to me that, in the ‘Webber incident’, Hamilton simply took the same line into the corner that he was normally taking when not trying to overtake another car. I thought this might crop up, given the scrutiny he would be under, so looked at this the next few laps afterwards. He, and most others judging by the drying racing line into the chicane, did move slightly left each time before turning in. I think it’s likely that he simply didn’t expect Webber to go outside there or just didn’t see him, as most drivers seem to miss cars in that particular field of vision these days.

6. you have to love the energy with which fom chases videos on youtube.. if only they put the same effort into making videos of the races and present on youtube or f1.com instead.. crasches ok, i understand (maybe), but these kind of goodies that only show the greatest moments of the sport? …

7. I’m not sure I’d call aggressive driving bad manners. It’s about time we saw some ‘get out of the bloody way I’m coming through’ driving, this kid seems to have the Senna/Mansell genes in him, which can only be good for F1.

8. beneboy said on 14th September 2008, 22:08

@Bud

I agree mate.
    Mansell & others of his generation thought nothing of aggressive overtaking, it was all part of the game.
    And even Schumi wasn’t too proud to nudge some oponents out of the way.

I think it only stopped a few years ago because the suspension struts had a tendancy to break with even minimal contact, don’t know if they’ve changed the construction or if they’re just making them stronger, but they seem to be a bit tougher these days.

I didn’t see too much wrong with the Lewis vs Webber move & I’m more a Webber fan than a Lewis fan (like ‘em both but niether are my favourite).

In conditions like we had today and last week at Spa I think there should be a bit more leniency from the stewards unless someone is driving dangerously or taking a blatant/repeated advantage.
    If possible they should be on the radio a.s.a.p. if they think someone has gained an advantage.

9. Peter Boyle said on 14th September 2008, 22:34

Webber criticized Hamilton after SPA for having
    cutting, gaining advantage and not remaining ceded
    at the next corner.

Webber cut by a hell of lot more than Hamilton, returned
    ahead and did not cede until AFTER the next corner.
    After the Whiting rule clarification this is strictly speaking a violation worth 25s.

10. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th September 2008, 22:48

Peter – I don’t agree, but regardless I can’t see McLaren protesting because if Webber did get a penalty it would put Raikkonen in the points!

11. beneboy said on 14th September 2008, 23:04

Good call Keith :~)

Can’t see Ron wanting to give a point to Ferrari.

12. Peter Boyle said on 14th September 2008, 23:07

Hi Keith,

I don’t think Webber should be penalized – but
    I don’t think Hamilton should have been either.

I’m simply pointing out what I see as hypocrisy in the castigation of Hamilton – many critical voices themselves struggle with the shades of gray in these conditions.

Senna was DQ’d for taking a Webber like route
    after collision with Prost….

Peter

13. Another grey area worth mentioning was when Hamilton was closing on Massa, Massa outbraked himself and cut the chicane. If he had stayed on track Hamilton would have been a lot closer through the next part of the track and maybe even could have got a run on him to pass. Brundle brought it up in commentary.

I’m not saying there should have been a penalty or anything – how the hell would you police that?! It’d be impossible to say how much of an advantage he gained. But in these times of scrutinising every piece of chicane cutting I thought it was an interesting moment.

14. Oliver said on 15th September 2008, 2:01

The stewards, apparently found it ok, at Spa, for a driver ahead to defend his position aggressively, So in that light, Lewis’ moves were very okay. In actual fact though, I doubt any of those drivers out there, could see anything through their rear view mirrors with the amount of spray they were generating.

15. Now, that’s a proper race. Finally we can have some overtaking in the highlights, rather than ramblings about whose pit stop was the fastest and how much fuel they carried. :)
    Is there any way to make rain mandatory for all GPs? ;)

And btw, I think they said there’s a 60% chance it may rain in Singapore according to the last forecast. I wonder what that would look like. I understand those floodlights would be ok in normal conditions, but will the drivers be able to see anything when it starts to rain ? Given how much visibility degrades when driving a normal car at night in the rain in a city full of different light sources it might be almost impossible to see anything with all that spray left by F1 cars.
    Is there any comparable racing class that held night races with floodlights and rain? There have been NASCAR night races for quite some time afaik, but I think they don’t drive in the wet at all, do they ?

1 2 3 4