No Canadian GP on 2009 F1 calendar

The 2009 F1 calendar has no space for the Canadian Grand Prix

The 2009 F1 calendar has no space for the Canadian Grand Prix

The Canadian Grand Prix has been dropped from the 2009 F1 calendar in a shock move as the FIA published full details of next year’s schedule.

No reason has been given for the deletion of the Montreal race, held at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

The Canadian round has been plagued by problems with its surface at recent races, which were especially severe during this year’s Grand Prix.

But there had been no prior indication that the round might be dropped. The race was on the provisional 2009 F1 calendar. It was last missing from the calendar in 1987 due to sponsorship reasons.

Canada’s absence means next year’s calendar has 18 races instead of 19.

The FIA has not explained why the Canadian round has been dropped. It’s one of the most popular and well-attended races on the F1 calendar, held at a distinctive track which has been part of the F1 calendar for three decades.

Canada has loads of dedicated F1 fans and even though it hasn’t had an F1 driver since Jacques Villeneuve two years ago they’ve continued to support their Grand Prix. It’s a terrible shame Montreal is no longer on the calendar, and that F1 now has no North American round at all.

2009 F1 calendar

7 26-28 June French Grand Prix Magny-Cours
8 10-12 July German Grand Prix Nurburgring
9 24-26 July Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring
11 21-23 August European Grand Prix Valencia Street Circuit
12 28-30 August Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps
13 11-13 September Italian Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza
14 25-27 September Singapore Grand Prix Singapore Street Circuit (night race)
15 9-11 October Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka
16 16-18 October Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit
17 30 October – 1 November Brazilian Grand Prix Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, Interlagos, Sao Paulo
18 13-15 November Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Island

2009 F1 season
2009 F1 calendar

Comments have been split across multiple pages. If you are having trouble viewing the pages click here to see all comments.

96 comments on No Canadian GP on 2009 F1 calendar

1 2 3 7
  1. its just rubish that france gp stays and there is no canadian gp … ;/ blah

2. nice to see Bernie’s avoiding the entire american continent now..

well almost, we still have Brazil, but ONE RACE FOR 800, 000, 000 people doesnt really cut it does it?

3. WHAT? This is one of the 5 best tracks on the calendar!

I am enormously disappointed. No doubt Bernie wants more moolah.

4. It makes complete sense of you realize how many passionate F1 fans there are in Abu Dhabi. We should have tried harder in Montreal. You know, like sell out every year. Have massive F1 parties in the street each night. Have the drivers say things like “it’s second only to Monaco”.

Oh wait. We did all that. And more.

5. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2008, 14:27

Mark – well said.

6. James said on 7th October 2008, 14:30

The home of the Villeneuve’s has been canned? Some of the most passionate fans in the sport? Wow. I’m actually stunned.

7. Jonatas said on 7th October 2008, 14:34

What a shame!
    I was there this year and absolutely loved the place, the race, everything. I’m sad I won’t get a chance to do it again next year.

Maybe I should stop going to F1 races altogether. In 2007 I went to my first F1 race in Indianapolis… They dropped that. This year, I went to Canada, they dropped that. Sorry guys!

8. The surface was a joke this year. This is the pinnacle of motorsport. A broken surface was unnacceptable. I’ve always liked the Canadian Grand Prix, but there are other tracks in the world, and passionate fans who want to see the races. How about a street race in Cape Town, South Africa. It’ll be fantastic!

I’m miffed that we’ll have one less race next year though!

9. :( Really sad , I loved Montreal what a great track. Once again I feel like F1 is hitting me in the face along with helman tilke and a truck of petrodollars…

10. Jonatas – you’re the F1 Angel of Death. Could I interest you in tickets and airfare to Abu Dhabi and Valencia? I need to make room for Montreal, and with India, Russia and Borat’s play for Kazakhstan coming, we gotta act fast.

11. Twister27 said on 7th October 2008, 14:40

From a fans point of view I’m disappointed, I’d rather see Montreal on the calendar than the Hungaroring or Magny Cours.

However, from a business and logistics point of view I can see why they dropped it, they couldn’t hold the race before or after the Brazilian race cause the weather would be too cold and they go nowhere near the americas at any other point in the year. It was also on at a bad time from a UK TV point of view as it clashed with Coronation Street! WT!

12. Fernando said on 7th October 2008, 14:58

Dammit Bernie you are an ass among all asses in the world. Last year was the first time I had ever been to a F1 event it was in Montreal, and it was hands down one of the best things I have ever done in my life. I already planned for a return in 2009, and every year there after, not anymore I guess.

So now instead of a 5 hour car drive to get there for me it’s a plane ride and visas and all this crap!!!! This has got to be the most disappointing news so far this year. WOW I just cannot believe this is happening please wake me up when it’s over.

Wow I keep looking at the calendar to see if maybe it will magically reappear.

13. Vlad the Inhaler said on 7th October 2008, 15:00

I’ll miss the pikey tarmac……

14. Seb Carter said on 7th October 2008, 15:00

This is dreadful news

I couldn’t have agreed more with Mark’s comments. I am getting quite sick of moving races to places that have the money but not the passion. Passion is what it is all about. Cam you imagine if every race was like Bahrain or Shanghai? It would be a total bore because the heart of the F1 fans is missing.

We need places like Monaco, Albert Park, Silverstone and importantly Montreal because that is where the party and the atmosphere is. Without it, F1 would become a businessman’s sport, where the money talks that the people. We need the fans of Montreal, and not the popularity seeking, money minded folks of Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Valencia.

And on top of all that, Montreal provided fantastic racing. What a shame.

15. diseased rat said on 7th October 2008, 15:03

I wonder if this is Bernies way of forcing more dates into the calendar. Canada comes back on the schedule in 2010 or 2011 because the teams, drivers and public want it back, but by that point in time the other new tracks are established, so we just end up with even more dates.

1 2 3 7