FIA trying to ban Martin Brundle?

Doctorvee spotted a story about Max Mosley’s right-hand man Alan Donnelly trying to prevent the BBC bringing Martin Brundle on board as one of its F1 commentators for 2009.

Today’s Daily Mail claims:

Alan Donnelly, the official representative at races of FIA chairman Max Mosley, has been trying to dissuade BBC executives from employing Brundle, who has been at odds with the governing body since he questioned their handling of last year?s McLaren Spygate affair.

Last year the FIA announced it was suing the Sunday Times over an article of Brundle’s that described the McLaren-Ferrari espionage scandal as “a witch-hunt”. In a response, Brundle said:

I expect my accreditation pass for next year will be hindered in some way to make my coverage of F1 more difficult and to punish me. Or they will write to ITV again to say that my commentary is not up to standard despite my unprecedented six Royal Television Society Awards for sports broadcasting. So be it.

Which raises the question: did the FIA lean on FOM to replace ITV as Britain’s host broadcaster in an attempt to avoid having Brundle as a commentator?

As Vee writes:

If there was not a witch-hunt against McLaren, there is certainly a witch-hunt against Martin Brundle. It is yet further evidence that the FIA is scared of open debate and is only interested in hiding the truth. Mosley?s father would have been proud.

If the Mail’s report is correct is quite disgusting that the FIA should got to such lengths to avoid legitimate debate and discussion.

Martin Brundle is an excellent commentator and the BBC must not be cowed by such shameful bullying.

More on the BBC’s 2009 F1 coverage

39 comments on FIA trying to ban Martin Brundle?

1 2 3
  1. Shameful.
    I’m sure Brundle’s sided with the FIA a number of times on different things, surely they should take that into account before blacklisting him.

2. Journeyer said on 22nd October 2008, 14:52

Wow… the FIA really hate him, huh? If anything, Brundle is the one pick on the BBC lineup that’s a lock-in. Even his 2009 salary figures are already leaking out.

But here’s the thing: remember that Monza gridwalk, where Bernie asked Martin if he was already with the Beeb? That alone should’ve told you who Bernie wanted to run the show on BBC, regardless of what Mosley, Donnelly, or anyone else thinks.

3. Alex Cooper said on 22nd October 2008, 14:56

One more example of the FIA having NO idea what’s good for F1 and how to keep the fans coming back.

4. Journeyer said on 22nd October 2008, 14:59

If anything, the Daily Mail expose will force the FIA to at least give pause to what they’re doing, and the BBC will probably realize that ratings are more important, which means Brundle stays on.

5. the limit said on 22nd October 2008, 15:11

These guys make Reggie and Ronnie Kray look like kindergarden kids. This is quite insane, really really insane. Who do these people think they are?
    Martin Brundle is a commentator for Gods sake, whats next, are they going to send some bruisers over to break his legs. The FIA should stick to what they are ‘supposed’ to be doing, and that is Formula One racing, and improving it as a spectacle, not in trying to ruin the reputation of a well respected former grands prix racing driver.
    Who, I might add, only made those comments because he cares about the sport, unlike some within the FIA. He had the courage and conviction to speak out, when others stood down. I guess we ‘should all’ watch what we say. I might wake up with a pigs head on my pillow tomorrow morning, for my pains. I will have two semi naked girls and a whip handy, as I know the ‘boss’ likes this!!

6. Phil B said on 22nd October 2008, 15:16

What on earth does this have to do with the FIA? Did their remit from the EU allow them to dictate the commentators for each broadcast? On what grounds? Safety? Has Martin Brundle failed an NCAP safety test?

Another disgusting abuse of power from Mosley.

7. stevepCambsUK said on 22nd October 2008, 15:20

Max is obviously still fuming about who ‘stitched’ him up being filmed with 5 prostitutes. One things for sure it wasnt Martin Brundle, we all have our own ideas who did that. the fia needs to get rid of Max and his cronies, Martin Brundle is the best commentator second only 2 Murray Walker and is totally within his rights to express his opinion about anything he likes. Yet another nail in Max’s coffin.

8. ceedas said on 22nd October 2008, 15:29

It’s certainly nothing to do with FOM, ITV pulled out of the contract, not the other way around.

9. Chalky said on 22nd October 2008, 16:11

Loki, so how does Martin Brundle fit in with these points? :D
    Yes I know, wrong thread. Sorry couldn’t resist it.

Maybe the FIA do not like him interrupting FIA dignitaries on his grid walk. Like his magical question about the local weather at Singapore.

10. Brundle is one excellent commentator, who has somehow been able to come out as the only objective one in ITV’s Hamilton Show crew

11. Keirdre said on 22nd October 2008, 17:55

This would be a bigger scandal than any of the Ferrari-McLaren rubbish!

12. Journeyer – If anything, the Daily Mail expose will force the FIA to at least give pause to what they’re doing.

Did FIA/MAX at least pause after News of the world story? Max bought the members to get confidence vote. and convinced the Judge, as in NOTW had trespassed his property, peeped in his bedroom, encroached his privacy.When the fact was that he compromised his own position, and one of his “vendors” sold the tape to NOTW.
    What everyone missed out that NOTW published the tape, it could have been worse, misused to blackmail Max.

I haven’t wished bad for any one in my life, barring two persons , incidentally both are sports administrators. The other person was sacked few months a go and I am waiting for Max’s tyranny to end

13. beneboy said on 22nd October 2008, 19:14

The world gets stranger every day.

I can understand why Max Mosley tries to have control over how F1 is run, he is FIA President after all.

But why should this extend to commentators ?
    Aren’t we supposed to have a free press and the right to freedom of speech ?

Martin Brundle is my favourite commentator and has been for several years.
    I don’t always agree with his opinions but I respect them due to his experience. He’s not sensationalist, doesn’t get overexcited & is far more impartial than most other commentators.

I thought his opinion of Spygate was very reserved & I remember reading far more damning reports in the press & on many websites.

It should now be clear to everyone that it is time for Max Mosley to go, bring in someone new who isn’t weighed down with so much baggage.
    Mosley has become an embarrassment to himself & to motorsport in general.

14. lol the FIA have gone completely mad. Is this another smoke screen (i.e. “a good day to bury bad news”) to deflect us from a more serious developing story and if so what is it. I saw the story on PitPass and particularly liked the last paragraph. I never thought I would ever give Rupert Murdoch a positive nod,…but there you go… never say never. Check it out.

15. ajokay said on 22nd October 2008, 19:47

I can’t wait until the final race. Knowing that it is their last race, do we think James, Ted, Mark or Louise will speak their minds’ a bit more, or slip in some purposeful faux pas’ during the weekend’s coverage regarding that they really think of any of the drivers, teams, or the FIA?

1 2 3