Lewis Hamilton wins the 2008 F1 title and becomes youngest world champion

Hamilton broke Alonso\'s record to become F1\'s youngest world champion

Hamilton broke Alonso's record to become F1's youngest world champion

Lewis Hamilton has won the 2008 F1 world championship after finishing fifth in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Hamilton has become the youngest ever driver to win the F1 world championship. Aged 23 years and 301 days, he has beaten Fernando Alonso’s record of 24 years 59 days which was set in 2005.

Hamilton is the ninth different British driver to win the world championship and his is the 13th title win by a British driver:

Countries’ champions

1. Britain 13 (Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (2), Jim Clark (2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton)
2. Brazil 8 (Emerson Fittipaldi (2), Nelson Piquet (3), Ayrton Senna (3))
3. Germany 7 (Michael Schumacher)
4. Argentina 5 (Juan Manuel Fangio)
=5. Australia 4 (Jack Brabham (3), Alan Jones)
=5. Austria 4 (Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda (3))
=5. France 4 (Alain Prost)
=5. Finland 4 (Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen (2), Kimi Raikkonen)
9. Italy 3 (Giuseppi Farina, Alberto Ascari (2))
=10. United States 2 (Phil Hill, Mario Andretti)
=10. Spain 2 (Fernando Alonso)
=12. New Zealand 1 (Denny Hulme)
=12. South Africa 1 (Jody Scheckter)
=12. Canada 1 (Jacques Villeneuve)

McLaren’s champions

Hamilton is the seventh different driver to win a world championship for McLaren, joining Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and Mika Hakkinen. The seven won 12 drivers’ titles in total for McLaren.

But Hamilton is only the second British driver to win a title for McLaren – the first being Hunt.

Lewis Hamilton biography

57 comments on Lewis Hamilton wins the 2008 F1 title and becomes youngest world champion

1. Kudos though, to Felipe Massa for being such a gracious and dignified loser in the press conference. I’m sure he’d be delighted to know that my respect for him has grown immeasurably over the season, especially after the way he carried himself at the end of the race.

2. the limit said on 2nd November 2008, 20:27

One of the most heartwrenching race finishes I have ever seen in Formula One, an absolute classic race that will be played over the internet for many years to come.
    I congratulate Lewis Hamilton and McLaren on their fantastic achievement, and how sweet it must taste to them after last year’s disasterous finish. You have to feel sorry though, for Felipe Massa.
    I have been very critical of the FIA this season, and have, on more than one occasion, suggested an element of bias exists between the FIA and Ferrari. My feelings however for Ferrari, do not extend to the drivers themselves. Felipe Massa did all that could be asked of him today, and was totally dominant the whole weekend. In the end, it was sadly not enough for him, it was just a bridge too far.
    On the flipside of that argument, is Lewis Hamilton’s season. In some instances it seemed he was doing his best to destroy his chances for the championship. Bahrain, France, Canada, were all examples of mistakes by Hamilton coming back to hurt him, and then there was Spa.
    The decisions made at Spa by the stewards made up ‘my’ mind on who I should, and would, support. That man was Lewis Hamilton. The penalty in Japan that followed only strengthened my support, and, in many ways, the guilty have been punished. In the end, you just cannot tame raw talent, no matter how many penalties you can impose.
    I am sorry for Felipe Massa, but I am not sorry for Ferrari. The young Brazilian has more graciousness, more dignity, than Luca DeMontezemolo and the FIA put together. Because, in the end, they are not why we love this sport of ours. We love it for the drivers, for when then win and lose, for the different emotions. Today, mine are of pure joy. For Hamilton, vindication!! RULE BRITTIANIA.

3. Gavin F said on 2nd November 2008, 20:28

I’ve lost my voice! I think i’m recovering from a heart attack but what a race! What an end to a season!

Regardless of the result I think we’ve all just witnessed what could quite possibly be the most exciting end to an F1 season ever or to come!!!

F1 Boring????? My @SS its boring!

IT’S THE GREATEST DAMN SPORT EVER!!!!

4. Throttle said on 2nd November 2008, 20:37

Come on Keith, you know the drill: “Lewis Hamilton lucks into maiden championship”.

5. S Hughes said on 2nd November 2008, 20:42

Lewis, you have made me the happiest person alive … apart from maybe yourself, your family and your team. My God, you deserved it. I think I’ve lost my voice though.

6. David said on 2nd November 2008, 20:50

Superb stuff Lewis Hamilton! Just far too intense! Far too cruel on Felipe Massa. But Lewis deserved the championship for this seasons best performances, bar none, combining skill, courage and audacity often against the odds, and despite some surreal FIA decisions: in particular his driving at Monaco, Silverstone, Spa and Monza. Felipe was a superb contender and he’ll be strong next year, no doubt. Brazil should be proud.

But Lewis Hamilton, Youngest Ever Formula 1 World Champion. Delicious to write.

7. WOWEE! I wasnt able to watch the whole race, due to a meeting, but I watched the beginning, checked in from time to time on the live timing and then caught the last 5 or six laps, where all the excitement happened anyway. HOLY CRAP what a last couple laps. I was dying there, screaming at the tv for Hamilton to take it to Vettel and then it happened, Glock lost it and everything was right again. GREAT finish in terms of excitement, but I never want to have to go through that again.

As for Amy…sorry you feel that Glock completely destroyed your weekend. He did the best he could and had he pitted for tires he wouldnt have been in that place anyway, so you really can’t blame him for trying! The title was certainly not thrown by Toyota on purpose. BTW – hate is such a strong word. I severely dislike Alonso, but I certainly dont HATE him. Every one of those drives has some sort of chip on their sholder, some just get more press time to show it off than others. I cant believe that Shumacher got away with as much as he did, in much the same form and so called ‘arrogance’ as Hamilton, but he is regarded as one of the best, if not THE best to ever drive a F1 car. But when it comes to a young upstart kid being trown inot the mix of a world championship, all of a sudden the world hates on him…Get over it people. hes a great driver and has a great car. But I digress….

Phenomenal job by Massa today. He is a great guy from what I can tell an I, NOT being a Ferrari fan, felt really bad for him as you could see he was on the verge of tears after pulling his car home in P1. It just wasnt his day. He truly is a great competitor and he won the race with style, losing the WDC with that same style. Congrats to Ferrari for their constructors championship, congrats to Massa for the win today, but most of all congrats to Hamilton for keeping a level head and seeing it through to the end today to claim his first (hopefully of many) WD Championship titles. Well deserved, especially with the controversial stewards calls this year.

Here’s to next year being just as exciting as it appears that Renault is going to be right up there with the red and silver cars in 2k9.

8. FIA pwned by Timo Glock:

This season the FIA’s actions has been getting on my nerve,
    I mean if you’re going to help a team, fine, that’s life, but at least try to make it less obvious and less damaging to the sport itself.
    There are people like me who watch F1 to watch skillful drivers compete, not to watch “authorities” bending rules.
    If the FIA want to micromanage, fine as well, they can write every single details clearly down into the rule book.
    Either you control things clearly or don’t control at all and let things settle themselves.

What goes around comes around, you cheat for too long thinking nobody can get you and eventually a better cheater comes along.

I consider what Glock did in the last lap was one of the best way to give a nice warm **** You’s to FIA and Ferrari

The FIA has been hitting below the belt for way too long and it’s time for some justice.

In the next 6 months, I look forward to hear the Ferrari hypocrites fan boys activate their mental block mechanism, exercise their selective memory and cry “Cheater”, forgetting how hard the FIA has been trying to give the WDC to Ferrari.

Ferrari and most of its fans live on this fictional moral high horse, they are like spoilt little children who got used to having everything their way that’s why they can’t handle losing.

Have fun attacking my points, I totally understand the Ferrari fan boy’s mentality
    I mean, if someone’s into F1 just to look for heroes, decided to be a Ferrari fan boy just to feel superior, what else are those little cry babies going to say when the team loses?
    Their brains are not wired to accept reality or to notice other team/people’s skills and they are not wired to appreciate the sport as a whole.
    So I’ll consider all their knee-jerk reactions normal and expected behavior.

Glock is god, FIA/Ferrari beaten in their own little cheating game.

The end.

9. I just read ade’s comment and I wholeheartedly agree. Though I am happy for Lewis’ win today, ECSTATIC about it even, it was a bit lucky and really wasnt down to any great display of skill on his part. In no way was this a Silverstone or Shanghai drive. The only way it could have been more exciting today would have been to have him actually tracked down Vettel and taken his spot back….now THAT would have been a finish. The greatest skill that Hamilton showed today was that he does indeed have the ability to keep a level head and push until the ‘fat lady sings’….had he given up at any point in his fight with Vettel, he may not have had the final opportunity to pass Glock at all.

10. amazing just the best sunday ever. cheers keith i am new to this internet thing but see you next year.

11. Filipe said on 2nd November 2008, 21:24

Two things Hamilton acomplished today:
    1 – He is the first winner of junior series just below F1 to win WDC.
    2 – He is also the first WDC winner under the current point system who would have lose it under the older one.

12. All hail Lewis.

The footnote to this race, if we need any further proof, is that Sebastian Vettel is for real. And there is a seat in a silver car badly needing a guy who turns up on Sundays.

13. casebury said on 2nd November 2008, 21:27

brilliant finish and congrats to hamilton but i’ve got to feel for massa drove brilliantly. My heart nearly broke my ribs in the last lap.

14. Filipe said on 2nd November 2008, 21:33

DMW, but does that silver car really want someone that might actually race on sunday?

15. Congratulatios to Lewis. I can die now… What a magnificent spectacle it was!!! I’m a bit disapointed for Kubica, but that’s been racing at its best from all the drivers through all the season… The only question is what am I going to till the end of march. Bravissimo Hamilton again! Over and out…