Lewis Hamilton wins the 2008 F1 title and becomes youngest world champion

Hamilton broke Alonso\'s record to become F1\'s youngest world champion

Hamilton broke Alonso's record to become F1's youngest world champion

Lewis Hamilton has won the 2008 F1 world championship after finishing fifth in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Hamilton has become the youngest ever driver to win the F1 world championship. Aged 23 years and 301 days, he has beaten Fernando Alonso’s record of 24 years 59 days which was set in 2005.

Hamilton is the ninth different British driver to win the world championship and his is the 13th title win by a British driver:

Countries’ champions

1. Britain 13 (Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (2), Jim Clark (2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton)
2. Brazil 8 (Emerson Fittipaldi (2), Nelson Piquet (3), Ayrton Senna (3))
3. Germany 7 (Michael Schumacher)
4. Argentina 5 (Juan Manuel Fangio)
=5. Australia 4 (Jack Brabham (3), Alan Jones)
=5. Austria 4 (Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda (3))
=5. France 4 (Alain Prost)
=5. Finland 4 (Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen (2), Kimi Raikkonen)
9. Italy 3 (Giuseppi Farina, Alberto Ascari (2))
=10. United States 2 (Phil Hill, Mario Andretti)
=10. Spain 2 (Fernando Alonso)
=12. New Zealand 1 (Denny Hulme)
=12. South Africa 1 (Jody Scheckter)
=12. Canada 1 (Jacques Villeneuve)

McLaren’s champions

Hamilton is the seventh different driver to win a world championship for McLaren, joining Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and Mika Hakkinen. The seven won 12 drivers’ titles in total for McLaren.

But Hamilton is only the second British driver to win a title for McLaren – the first being Hunt.

Lewis Hamilton biography

57 comments on Lewis Hamilton wins the 2008 F1 title and becomes youngest world champion

1. beneboy said on 2nd November 2008, 21:39

Don’t say that DMW, we’ve got a German shaped hole at Ferrari that Mr Vettel will hopefully be filling in a few years time :~)

Absolutely gutted for Felipe & his family, to be so close only to have it taken away a few seconds later must be terrible.

Congratulations to Lewis, he drove well most of the season & managed to overcome some very questionable decisions from the FIA to win his first Championship.

I just hope next season is as good as this one has been.

2. ajokay said on 2nd November 2008, 21:41

Congrats to Lewis, even though his race wasn’t exactly stunning.

My heart hit its rev limiter a few times during the race, but it was all worth it in the end.

It was also very good to see Ferrari and the FIA beaten, the winner this year really was Formula One.

The Ferrari garage might want to check the final results classification before celebrating too much too.

And goodbye Amy (#7), I’m glad Timo Glock has a very special place in your heart.

3. David Watkins said on 2nd November 2008, 21:43

I think Hamilton and Vettel would be great. Seb would be on the pace and I think each would push the other to produce their best

4. Gusto said on 2nd November 2008, 21:52

Thinking that Lewis is black belt, Kubica must be thankfull Glock was on wrong tyres, (thinking back to Senna`s reaction on being unlapped near the end of a race), Unlucky to the Ferrari B-Team, you nearly pulled it off ;-). Your never see a unhappier Ferrari One, Two, Three on the podium again. And nothing but Congratulations to Lewis, you showed it aint over till the fat lady sings.

5. Congrats Hamilton! Dramatic ending, this is what F1 is about! A sweet WDC for Hamilton after having ten thousand penalties hurled at him, including that monstrous Spa decision.

Terrific drive by Massa, I hand it to the guy maybe i was giving a bit too much slack. The real victor this year was hamilton and F1.

6. WOW ! Was there ever such a close finish to a WDC? Where it literally came down to metres as to who would be champion?

Congrats to Hamilton, it was an amazing victory and all the sweeter because FIA-ARRARI tried their best to prevent it from happening. I was a bit aprehensive logging on this morning, I was sure I’d see that the results had been fiddled yet again. Thank god that hasn’t happened (so far).

I do feel sorry for Massa, he drove a great race, and to have had one hand on the trophy like that must have been gutwrenching.

Gahhhh, I’ve just realised that there are nearly five months until the season starts again. I can’t wait that long !

7. Gusto said on 2nd November 2008, 22:05

Must admit I did feel a tinge of sadness for Felipe and the Brazilian Crowd, shame we cant have our cake and eat it!

8. Gusto said on 2nd November 2008, 22:07

Good point Pink Peril, what time does the scrutineering end?

9. Hey Massa there is no crying in F1! Guess having the race stewarts and King Bernie on your side doesn’t mean you are a shoe in for the drivers championship. Best video moment of the season, the Massa family celebrating his “championship” until the ferari mechanics had to tell them Ham finished 5th I am still laughing!!!!!!!!! GO MCLAREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. oh my god i am just so happy today. unbelievable stuff. what happened today is pure magic. from now on i will believe that never count anyone out until the bell has rang.

oh my god.

congratulations to lewis,to massa well just chilll hahahahhahha yep…

11. Oliver said on 2nd November 2008, 22:19

@Filipe
    Well very interesting observation, but at the same time, while the old points system was being used, the stewards were not influencing the results as they are now, so Hamilton would probably have kept the Spa win and finish 5 pts ahead.

Congratulations to Mclaren, after all they’ve been through, I think they truly deserve this win.

Kubica almost cost Mclaren the championship. He seemed to overtake Hamilton and pause momentarily.

In all was a very wicked outcome, unfortunately we can’t have 2 winners.

The tension was just so much, I’m just numb. We all had a feeling Lewis might win it, but we were still surprised that he did.

12. Oliver said on 2nd November 2008, 22:24

I don’t think its nice to laugh at anyone. I had no relative on the track, well none that I know of, but I can imagine how overwhelming the prevailing circumstance must have been for the families at the circuit.

13. michael counsell said on 2nd November 2008, 22:25

Great race. Mclaren and Hamilton were a bit too conservative but just about pulled it off. His Dad needs to give him a bit more space though…

Massa drove a great race and was really dignified and appreciative. He did everything in his power but he knew all along that all he could do was win and he did, whiel Hmailton did all he needed too. You could not have scripted it.

14. Congratulations to Hamilton.
    I am an spanish fan, huge Alonso fan, and after all the things that happened (or did not happen) between them, all the scandals with the spanish press, etc, well… well done Lewis.
    He won because he was the fastest in most cases, as simple as that.
    And thanks to all the guys and the weather for a rollercoaster race. Even my girlfriend enjoyed the race thanks to all the drama!
    I just read a lot of comments from Spain (ooops, it nearly makes me a bit ashamed of being spanish) with conspiracy theories about Timo Glock, it doesn’t sink easy that Hamilton… well… was very fast all year. Anybody who does not understand what happened to Timo Glock in the last lap makes it very clear how much they like and follow F1.
    Great race!
    Congrats Lewis!

15. Filipe said on 2nd November 2008, 22:33

Oliver, I was not trying to diminish Hamilton’s win at all. It’s obviously be much different had we be under the old system (including he being much more agressive today). It’s just a fun stat and it had to happen someday.