Alonso and Piquet Jnr confirmed at Renault for 2009

Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet Jnr will remain at Renault in 2009

Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet Jnr will remain at Renault in 2009

Fernando Alonso has committed his future to Renault, ending speculation over a possible move to Ferrari in 2009.

Renault has become the seventh team to announce an unchanged line-up for 2009 with Nelson Piquet Jnr remaining alongside Alonso.

Alonso had been linked to Ferrari, BMW and Honda at different stages during the season. But after the first two teams confirmed they would stay with the same drivers for the foreseeable future, Alonso was increasingly expected to stay at Renault.

He has enjoyed an excellent end to the season with the team, winning two of the last four races. He scored 33 points in the final four rounds, 13 more than any other driver (Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa each scored 20).

Piquet has not enjoyed a very successful a season in his first year of F1. He had more non-mechanical DNFs than any other driver (seven) and was the only driver to be out-qualified by his team mate at every round.

Earlier rumours suggested Renault might promote Lucas di Grassi or Romain Grosjean in his place. Piquet’s retention is not going to diminish suggestions that, after 2007, Alonso doesn’t want to share a team with a competitive driver again.

But with Renault clearly enjoying a resurgence, the prospect of Alonso facing down Hamilton and the Ferrari duo for the 2009 championship is an enticing one…

Fernando Alonso biography
Nelson Piquet Jnr biography
2009 F1 drivers and teams
2009 F1 season

49 comments on Alonso and Piquet Jnr confirmed at Renault for 2009

1. err lets clarify, McLaren originally went all out for Nico but he chose to stay at Williams to build the team around him. I bet he’s regretting it especially concidering the teams current finances and global credit crunch. Even Williams were surprised he did not go to them. McLaren then decided to go for Heiki who is just not currently up to scratch for several reasons. Nico would have been a far more formidable rival to Lewis. After all, McLaren want to win the WCC as well don’t they. Ron coverts that trophy equally. So it makes no sense alleging that McLaren deliberately chose someone not to rival Lewis.

2. Hey, Guys, don’t get me wrong. My point is: who is more worth to the team? The mediocre Piquet or a good promise as seems to be Di Grassi who has performed well at GP2 last year and who really has a GOOD (ok, I replaced the word!) experience as a test driver?

My point is: if Alonso has really vetoed Di Grassi (as they did with Heikky), the team has threw away a good chance with a driver who could give much more to the team than the average Piquet and just because Alonso likes to be in comfort zone.

3. Chaz – Ron Coverts that Trophy would have been a good statement till his mentee didn’t turn up as one of the seat holder.
    Unless the 2009 regulations indeed enable on track racing, we have to live with the fact that till you have front row locked up consistently you are not going to win maximum points. your second driver qualifying mid-field anywhere behind second row ( in last race, british press was worried for Lewis’ safety even on the second row) effectively reduces your WCC chances. Unless Internal politics sidelines Ron Dennis and Mercedes takes more control of the way the that team is operated. It will be status quo at McLaren.

Interesting thing to see will be Heikki’s second season at McLaren!!! Will he get “equal opportunity” to go for poles or win? or will he be ganged-up against in mid-season following incident like USGP 1st corner melee in 2006 ( which was anyway common place at Indy given the layout of that first corner)and forced out of team to make way of certain German Driver who has shown lot of promise this year driving for a Japanese Marquee, we shall see.

I have seen strange things in F1 in last 20 odd years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if my prediction does materialize and Hekki shunted out of McLaren

4. Becken – There is no proof the Fernando Vetoed out Heikki out of Renault. Its just press speculation. given the story that Fernando had just walked out of stormy relationship with McLaren, everybody lapped it without verification. and I needed say which section of Press had flared that speculation.

PS – The same section of press is still confident Antony davidson will be taking Barichello’s place in Honda. They also had lauded Silverstone podium as fitting farewell to affable brazilian

5. Roger Carballo AKA Architrion said on 5th November 2008, 20:14

Last race Nelsinho Piquet was 0.1 sec slower than Fred on Q1 and Q2…. I’ve seen rated drivers been slower than that!!! But you need to look… of course.

Man, I would say that Fred has had a run for his money this year!! In fact, he has run so much last races that he was 13 points of running faster than the current WDC, if you make the count after Hungary.

6. Yeah. What happens with Becken is that maybe he can’t watch live timing and take a real look at what a driver do, or maybe he do use live timing, but only the line named LEWIS HAMILTON.

Hey, Roger, easy, mate…

Anyway, I didn’t get your point. I´m just thinking in the team as a whole and not just in Alonso. I think, Lucas could be a good help to “FRED” at the developing of the car instead of Nelson.

Did you get it?

About the points, look the last two years and you will undestand why we have a worth champion this year:

1 Lewis Hamilton 98 + 109 = 207
    2 Felipe Massa 97 + 94 = 191
    3 Kimi Räikkönen 75 + 110 = 185
    5 Fernando Alonso 61 + 109 = 170

7. Roger Carballo AKA Architrion said on 5th November 2008, 20:33

Incredible. You compare the points made with that rocket Lewis had this year with the bycicle that won two races with the Alonso driving….. You could even compare Lewis winning in Silverston with the Monza’s exhibition by Vettel….. Just to maintain a balanced opinion. IMO.

8. Ok, Roger, you started the thing, mi amigo. I was just debating about Piquet and Renault.

Abrazos!

9. Roger Carballo AKA Architrion said on 5th November 2008, 21:17

Hey, man, don’t take it too bad from me. I just wanted to heat up the thing, to make it a bit more interesting.

Muchos abrazos!!!

10. Taimur said on 5th November 2008, 21:23

all due respect to Lewis but this combined tally of last two years amuses me. A million stats like these could be made about many drivers. He is 2008 champion – end of story.

11. beneboy said on 5th November 2008, 21:23

I’m happy Piquet has been given the drive next season.

He may have had a poor season but at times he’s looked very good. Very few (if any) drivers have a rookie year like Lewis had & for most drivers being teamed up with the most successful driver on the grid is a daunting prospect.

Just as Alonso suffered due to Lewis’s relationship with Ron last season, so to has Piquet suffered due to Alonso’s relationship with Flavio. Alonso will always be given preferential treatment as far as machinery & strategy is concerned at Renault.

I hope Piquet does well next season & is able to push Alonso from the start as this will encourage Alonso and hopefully help him compete for the championship, if his car is good enough.

If I were Alonso I’d be a little worried about 2010, there could well be a very good young German moving to Ferrari then & if Felipe or Kimi want to stay on then he could find himself out in the cold.

12. Hey, man, don’t take it too bad from me

No, no Roger, I didn´t take it bad…;). In fact, any Mclaren supporter or Lewis fan need to be here trying to defend or prove at any cost that Lewis is a worth champion or a worth driver. In fact, Lewis did it for himself Sunday, here in Brazil. This is why I do not care anymore about any bash (what is not your case!) or I do not need to be in fight for the team or for the driver at any place.

We, fans and supporters, we are happy and celebrating the success of the team and the driver, just that!

In fact, I hope to see Alonso with a fast car (he is a worth champion, a superb driver who deserves one!) to be beat by Lewis again, and in a fair and square way without any complains this time, as Lewis did with Ferrari this year. This is why motor racing is about.

Abrazos, amigo ;)

13. diseased rat said on 5th November 2008, 21:52

I am also happy to see Piquet to retain his drive. The couple of GP2 drivers talked about to maybe replace him have hardly set the world on fire.

Piquet has had some bad races and of course having a team mate like Alonso is usually going to make life tough. However Piquet has also had some really good performances here and there. Germany does spring to mind, I know everyone wants to say that was all down the the safety car but Piquet had to actually keep the car on the track under extreme pressure and put in decent lap times to bring that home after the luck, which he did. His Japan performance was also very good, and not helped by a safety car.

He does need to up his game a notch next season though or he will be out, and I’m sure he knows that had will apply everything he has learned this season to do so.

14. zerogee said on 5th November 2008, 23:56

I too wondered why Piquet got another year then remembered what he is – slower than Fernando. While I reckon Fernando was the driver of the latter half of the season, he’s still pretty insecure. Sad, really, but then so was Schumacher, needlessly so.

15. Give it up – you have nothing to rely on but tired, old wives types of media talking points.

16. Fergus Gallas said on 6th November 2008, 1:44

To Everyone who rates Di Grassi and Bruno Senna so high.

How come do you all are so sure that Di Grassi or Bruno could do so well in F1. This is something you can never tell looking at their careers so far. I wonder why all this fuzz about them besides Bruno’s family name. They never won a single title so far.

Piquet is not just in racing by his name, it’s impossible to win races and titles only with a NAME.
    He had means to support his career, but money doesn’t crowns you the younger British F3 winner of all time.

Di Grassi could be a F1 champ someday, but nothing in his background years convinces me that he is better than Piquet.

If you guys rate drivers as F1 material or not so frequently, what has Bruno Senna done to convince you that he is the so called “F1 material”. What I’ve said about Di Grassi you can double about Bruno. He’s done nothing yet to deserve a F1 seat.

Bruno is gonna make tests in Honda and Toro Rosso someone might say. Keith could tell us all how much that means in midia exposure for the Brands/Teams. One thing I’ve learned this year after 31 F1 seasons is that there is no such thing as a F1 free test for a newcomer. The driver pays for the test and it’s not cheap I must say.

Piquet is a fine driver, his career so far shows it. He needed a second year to win the F3 Sudamericana as much as Lewis needed a second year to win Formula Renault UK. Piquet needed a second year to win British F3 as much as Lewis needed a second year to win F3 Euroseries. Both had a wonderful second year in GP2. Lewis needed a second year to win the F1 crown. Why not give a second shot to Piquet in F1, he seems to like a second year as much as Lewis……
    All this is to say a simple thing. Let Piquet have a go in 2009, he is, like it or not, a winner wherever his raced so far.

Fergus

P.S.: I’m not a Nelson Piquet Jnr die hard fan. But I think he’s a good driver and I don’t understand why so many of you dislikes him, maybe it’s because his father made Mansell looks like “Mr.Bean with helmets” years ago.

17. “Piquet’s retention is not going to diminish suggestions that, after 2007, Alonso doesn’t want to share a team with a competitive driver again.” – Of course true. But why would Renault (Flavio) do that? Renault must also concentrate on competing for constructor’s championship as well, with Piquet I don’t see any possibility for such a thing to happen.

18. I am surprised by Nelson staying another f1 season with Renault. But Alonso was an excelent endseason.
    Surprised too I am by Kovalainen still in Mclaren-Mercedes. HIs driving is so bad. Look at this:
    Alonso: fifth with 61 points. (a slow renault)
    Kovalainen: seventh with 53 points (Super mercedes)

19. Fergus Gallas said on 6th November 2008, 11:26

For the record:

Nelson Angelo Piquet made 19 points in his first year.
    The best performance of a brazilian rookie driver ever.

Not bad.

20. Was hoping Renault would be patient with Piquet , and keep him another year . Now they have , I’m glad , and even more that Alonso is staying . Piquet was challenging for GP2 champion with Ham. and I think only just lost out. Maybe being a 3 time WDC’s son coupled with starting first F1 year in a difficult car has also put him under a lot of pressure , but while I would not bet money that he will become a world champion , I think he will prove to be a very good F1 pilot in future. Probably better next year than Di Grassi or Grosjean would do in their first year of F1 , and that’s what would have tilted Renaults decision in his favour , nothing to do with Alonso , his famous father or whatever other carp is suggested. As for the duel of Alonso vs Hamilton , yes , that thought alone can easily carry me through the closed season.