Who was the best driver of 2008? (Poll)

Vote for the best F1 driver of 2008

Vote for the best F1 driver of 2008

You’ve read my verdict on the drivers of 2008 – now it’s time for yours. Who was the best F1 driver this year? Cast your vote below…

Who was the best F1 driver of 2008?

• Lewis Hamilton (17%)
  • Felipe Massa (11%)
  • Kimi Raikkonen (2%)
  • Robert Kubica (40%)
  • Fernando Alonso (22%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (5%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Nelson Piquet Jnr (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Kazuki Nakajima (0%)
  • David Coulthard (0%)
  • Sebastien Bourdais (0%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Giancarlo Fisichella (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Takuma Sato (0%)
  • Anthony Davidson (3%)

Total Voters: 1,405

Loading ... Loading ...

53 comments on Who was the best driver of 2008? (Poll)

1 2 3 4
  1. Patrickl said on 21st November 2008, 11:20

Lol Hamilton 100%. Guess I just came right on time ;)

2. Giving this one to Alonso.

3. Has to be Kubika.

And I hope his polish supporters come in huge number and ensure that he wins; like some earlier poll.

4. Internet said on 21st November 2008, 11:32

Alonso made far too many mistakes at the start of the season to be the best driver. Kubica should get the vote.

5. Internet said on 21st November 2008, 11:33

@Sumedh: Would love to see a poll war between the Spanish and the Polish. Both are equally nationalistic in their support. I wonder who would win.

6. cyanide said on 21st November 2008, 11:51

Alonso. A close second would be Kubica.

7. Seedy001 said on 21st November 2008, 11:59

I thought Alonso wasn’t great during the middle of the season (see this weeks Autosport) but I also thought Kubica tailed off in the last two races too much so… then I thought of Felipe at Silverstone and Fuji and Hamilton at Canada, Fuji & Magny-Cours… So, I gave it to Vettel!

8. hamilton!!!

9. Internet: See this is why my vote is to be trusted. My country hasn’t produced a decent F1 driver in my lifetime, so I’m pretty unbiased in that respect. No nationalism fogging my judgement down (although one might argue stupidity is, durrr).

Giving it to Vettel because he put in a few stellar drives late season seems pretty silly to me.

10. Seedy001 said on 21st November 2008, 12:26

I thought his drives were always consistantly good and I don’t think the accidents at the start of the season were his fault (if I recall correctly). It was not just a race like Monza, it was topping qualifying sessions on pure pace at Valencia, it was showing a maturity that I don’t normally see in racers so young (eg. Hamilton or Sutil) and it was not having any particularly obvious mistakes such as Alonso, Kimi, Felipe and Lewis or indeed having any such poor performances like Kubica in Shanghai and Interlagos.

Its maybe not the obvious choice given his championship position but I thought it was a great season-long performance from someone who was still essentially a rookie – I felt someone had to vote for him…

11. Seedy001 said on 21st November 2008, 12:35

Oh, one last thought, seems like voting for Alonso would also be giving it to someone with a few stellar drives late in the season!

12. Kimi Raikkonen, his ten laps proved his still has the fastest race pace and him slowing down for Massa shows Massa is nothing more than a hotlapper. If Ferrari had of fixed his problems instead of focusing on Massa, he probably would be still champion.

13. I think Alonso is the best driver but Hamilton put in the best drives.

14. This is a tough one, you could easily make a case for several drivers.

Hamilton produced some of the best drives of the year like at Silverstone. But then he also made some of the biggest mistakes of the year such as Canada.

Massa improved a lot on previous years, but his drive at Silverstone is a big minus.

Kimi lack of motivation and form for most of the year must count him out, even though he did show flashes of his old pace.

Kubica, he was rightly praised his consistency which kept him in the title race so long, but then some have asked how would he have performed with the pressure of being expected to win which Hamilton and Massa had all season. Personally I think that if it hadn’t been for Heidfield’s problems in qualifying I think the BMW drivers would have been a lot closer in the championship.

Alonso showed the skills why he is considered by many to be the best all round driver package in F1 at the moment with his two superbly taken wins. I view which I share also.

Vettel’s win in the wet with Torro Rosso will go down in F1 history not just because of his age, given a competitive car I am sure he could challenge for the championship in the next few years.

In the end I chose Hamilton, a decision influenced by him being my favourite driver of the contenders

15. donwatters said on 21st November 2008, 13:49

The best this year was Hamilton. He won the championship.

1 2 3 4