Who was the best driver of 2008? (Poll)

Vote for the best F1 driver of 2008

Vote for the best F1 driver of 2008

You’ve read my verdict on the drivers of 2008 – now it’s time for yours. Who was the best F1 driver this year? Cast your vote below…

Who was the best F1 driver of 2008?

• Lewis Hamilton (17%)
  • Felipe Massa (11%)
  • Kimi Raikkonen (2%)
  • Robert Kubica (40%)
  • Fernando Alonso (22%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (5%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Nelson Piquet Jnr (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Kazuki Nakajima (0%)
  • David Coulthard (0%)
  • Sebastien Bourdais (0%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Giancarlo Fisichella (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Takuma Sato (0%)
  • Anthony Davidson (3%)

Total Voters: 1,405

Loading ... Loading ...

53 comments on Who was the best driver of 2008? (Poll)

1. Massa. No questions.
    Yeah, I’m a Pole

2. Alonso. He made some mistakes (Monaco), but it’s because, like Hamilton, he pushed. They are racing drivers. They are not meant to go for the safe result all the time. Hamilton played it safe at the right time this season. So I would rate him second to Alonso, rather than giving Kubica the 2nd ranking.

3. It has to be Massa — he won the most races.

4. Nirupam said on 21st November 2008, 15:50

Alonso..no doubt about that
    and Internet, I am no spanish!!
    Simply because he made less mistakes than the championship contenders, took a couple of great wins.
    And he actually made R28 look competitive towards the end of the season. That he scored more than anyone in last six races says it all

5. NDINYO said on 21st November 2008, 15:55

i thought the WDC was settled earlier in the month – anyway seeing that the Times got it all wrong, let me confirm that Lewis was my man – 2nd year pressure in F1 and he takes it amidst team and personal mistakes as well a FIA bias. It will only get easier from here on

6. NDINYO said on 21st November 2008, 15:59

Keith, just curious – when a driver is referred to as best all round, what does that really make him ie what does best all round driver really mean?

7. when a driver is referred to as best all round, what does that really make him ie what does best all round driver really mean?

In my book, a good all round driver is:
    - fast in qualifying
    - relentlessly fast in races
    - fast in the dry
    - fast in the wet
    - a good overtaker
    - a firm but fair defender
    - good on strategy before and during the race
    - gives good technical feedback
    - behaves in a way that inspires and motivates his team
    - has total dedication to winning
    - doesn’t make very many mistakes

There’s been a lot of talk this year about Fernando Alonso being the most complete driver in the field, because he ticks most or all of the boxes above. Probably not as out and out fast as Lewis Hamilton or Kimi Raikkonen, but he’s consistent and gives good technical feedback. During the Japanese GP he was making strategy calls, i.e. shortfilling to jump Kubica and then driving a stint full of qualifying laps to pull out a gap. Kubica has also been a good all rounder this year too. Hamilton a bit less so but he’s got plenty of time to learn.

Juan Pablo Montoya wasn’t a good all rounder – very fast, great overtaker but awful technically, not a team player and not enough commitment. Jarno Trulli is a great qualifier but (especially in his early career) he fade in the race – he can be stunning quick over one lap but not fifty.

8. Internet said on 21st November 2008, 18:34

@Nirupam:

Alonso made mistakes in Monaco and Canada. As for him scoring more points than anyone in the last 6 races, Button had the same thing going in 2006 but that didn’t make him the best driver of 2006.

9. Michiel said on 21st November 2008, 19:18

the best driver wins almost every time so i think this is Hamilton

10. TommyBellingham said on 21st November 2008, 19:19

Vettel or Hamilton

11. Wilhelm said on 21st November 2008, 21:14

So hard to make a choice. In my opinion it has to be one of the most gifted generation ever.

After an hesitation, i’d vote for Vettel as he reached a rank that was never expected from him considering the material he’s had this year. And proved some maturity as well. He’s been spectacular in the wet and showed real skill and some extra spark when needed.

But again, I wish we could list three or five dirvers instead of choosing just one :-)

12. I know I’ve chosen a strange one, but I based my vote on who drove closest to their maximum ability the most consistently, taking out the speed and quality of the car, teammates and team. Roobs, closely followed by Koobs.

13. Wesley said on 22nd November 2008, 0:10

I am a Heidfeld supporter but,Alonso impresses the hell out of me…..he got my vote but,not before I hesitated my little cursor to tick the box for Vettel.

14. Alonso. Don’t confuse lack of results (in the first half of the season) with a driver not wringing the neck of that car & getting everything he could out it – plus a bit more.

Look at what other drivers did with inferior machinery. Zip. In fact some in better cars didn’t fare much better.

Not the fastest guy out there, but certainly the best IMO.