Who should Toro Rosso pick? (Poll)

Which F1 drivers should Toro Rosso pick for the 2009 season?

Which F1 drivers should Toro Rosso pick for the 2009 season?

Toro Rosso will run at least three different drivers in the three-day test at the Jerez circuit starting tomorrow. Sebastien Bourdais will be in the car along with Sebastien Buemi and Takuma Sato.

But with Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello and Bruno Senna now potentially available, who should Toro Rosso pick for 2009? Cast your vote here:

You can pick up to two different drivers:

Which drivers should Toro Rosso choose for 2009?

• Sebastien Bourdais (33%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (6%)
  • Takuma Sato (12%)
  • Jenson Button (30%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (6%)
  • Bruno Senna (12%)
  • Someone else (1%)

Total Voters: 1,262

Loading ... Loading ...

45 comments on Who should Toro Rosso pick? (Poll)

1. Looking back to the kind of fiasco trying to sign Button seems to involve I’d leave him be if it was my team (but it’s not so….).

2. TommyBellingham said on 8th December 2008, 19:48

Andrew – They tell Button every year he’ll have a good car…. and look what happens

3. Oliver said on 8th December 2008, 20:02

Sato and Buemi.

4. Cameron aka. SkinBintin said on 8th December 2008, 20:15

I voted for Button and Sato. Both of which I’d like to see racing again next season.

5. Lady Snowcat said on 8th December 2008, 20:45

Just not too keen on whingers and Mr Bourdais, despite his mega experience, is certainly one of those…

Sorry but he’s just not worth the seat…

6. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th December 2008, 21:31

I was expecting Sato to do rather better in this poll but at the moment he’s edged into fourth by Bruno Senna.

I voted for Bourdais and Button. I thought Bourdais showed promise with the STR2 but couldn’t get as much out of the STR3. I want to see what he can do on slicks. I’d give him a second chance before I gave Sato his third second chance.

Buemi looked good in GP2 but I think a second year in the category would do him good – he only turned 20 in October. I also think Bruno Senna needs a bit more experience, if he does end up back at iSport next year it would be no bad thing. We’d certainly have an entertaining GP2 season!

Andrew – I’d definitely like to see Davidson in the car (as with my Bourdais reasoning) but no-one seems to be interested in him.

7. ScuderiaToroFerrari4Eva said on 8th December 2008, 21:46

Well me being a toro rosso fan i’d like to see button & sato bourdais is a nice guy people are saying he started to show some promise but i’m not too convinced yes people may argue that sato has made many chances before but this could be his revival take a fairly small team and propell it to the top him and button also if sato can bring in big japanese sponsors then str could be on the up and i have a gut feeling that next year they are gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons if ferrari supply them with an up to date horse in the back and with newey’s chassis they could just sping a surprise vettel’s spot will never be replaced though he was phenomenal as for the others senna & buemi(need another year in gp2) and rubens i think he wont get a seat anywhere he might aswell hang up his boots even though his still a good racer

8. Bourdais & Sato.

Bourdais for the sake of continuity within the team, and the fact that I don’t think he has hit his stride yet.

Sato because he is a great guy, a real racer and entertaining to watch. I think he has settled down from his previous kamikaze ways and would be a real asset. And hey, if it helps him get a drive I’m sure he would change his name to Sebastian Sato ;)
    Plus would Honda continue to throw some $$$ Sato’s way? If STR are looking for sponsorship & Honda are willing to still provide some to Taku (or Sebu as I am now thinking of him as) then it would be a good fit.

On no account should they give the drive to Button. Most overrated driver in the field if you ask me.

9. Daniel said on 8th December 2008, 22:48

I think Button is one of the most over-rated drivers I’ve seen since I began following F1. He’s a good, fine driver, but far from spetacular. As far as unfulfilled promisses are concerned, I’d rather have Jarno Trulli (that’s out of question) than Jenson Button. For Toro Rosso, Barrichello’s experience with a winning team and with Ferrari engines would be the best they could hope for…

For the other seat, I’d also vote Bourdais…

10. Pete Walker said on 8th December 2008, 23:26

My heart says Rubinho. The guys a hero.

My brain says Bourdais and Sato. Buemi… I’m still not convinced. And why Davidson isn’t in the running, I’ve no idea. Madness.

Button and Senna will surely get the Prodrive/Campos/Carlin/Aston Martin/Citroen/Hyundai seats :)

11. Marco Aurélio said on 8th December 2008, 23:59

equal condition Barrichello is hard to be beaten.

12. Aaron Shearer said on 9th December 2008, 0:01

I personally think that Bourdais and Barichello should be side by side next year at Toro Rosso. Just remember that Bourdais won lots of Cart Championships and Barichello is the most experianced man in F1 and has still got it. Maybe not to win a championship but a race. Look at the stunning performance in the wet at silverstone he gave now that’s got to be worth taking into consideration. Fair enough it was the ran that got him 3rd but never the less it’s always good having a wet whether specialist on board.

13. Post 30 (Pete Walker) – Hope you’re right :)
    I do hope Buemi does not take Bourdais place..Bourdais had a depressingly unlucky season..

14. Torro Roso should go for Sato and Senna..

and swim in all the money like Uncle Scrooge :)

15. Senna, to see if he is as good as he says he is, and Bourdais, because I think he will improve and mature in his second year…..

16. terrie cairnes said on 9th December 2008, 14:11

Pantano did race for Jordan But i think his proved he can still be a great driver if you look at his achievements in GP2.I think they could at leat give him a test.It wouldnt hurt them to let him try.

17. Lady Snowcat said on 9th December 2008, 20:02

All you Bourdais supporters should note his results today against Buemi…. not impressive…

18. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2008, 20:27

Snowcat – I wouldn’t use off-season test times as a basis for comparisons between team mates unless the team explicitly said they’re in a shoot-out and running the same configurations at roughly the same time. Unless we’re looking at a group of test days where one driver has been consistently faster than another, and even then it’s dodgy ground. That said, I think Buemi’s got promise, I’d just rather see him in GP2 for another season first.

19. Lady Snowcat said on 9th December 2008, 20:36

But I think they have billed it as a shootout Keith….

Hence my comment….

Bourdais only has today and half of tomorrow before giving way to Mr Sato….

20. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2008, 20:50

Well I tried to find out on the Toro Rosso site but their link to the test report was broken. D’oh!