Track design competition winners named

Hermann Tilke's entry was disqualified

Hermann Tilke's entry was disqualified

If the world’s racing circuits disappeared overnight and we needed a fresh set of blueprints to work from, at least we already have a collection of great ideas thanks to the stack of track concepts sent in for the latest F1 Fanatic competition.

The winners, who each receive ?é?ú100 courtesy of the Mind Your Own Business Podcast, are named below.

Fantasy design – Alex Odell

Alex Odell\'s winning entry

Alex Odell's winning entry

Alex Odell’s canyon track was originally designed for a project but it wasn’t just the detailed 3D rendering that impressed. With a jump and a tunnel forming part of the track it looks like something straight out of a computer game. Congratulations to Alex, who is the first of our two ?é?ú100 winners.

Realistic design – Neil Smith

Neil Smith\'s winning entry

Neil Smith's winning entry

Neil Smith picked a location for his realistic circuit – Ellis Island in New York. As well as including some ideas popular with modern F1 circuits – like a blast along a waterfront – he included ideas from tracks like Spa-Francorchamps and Elkhart Lake. All he needs now is a few hundred million dollars to turn his vision into a reality. Well, we can help him out with the first hundred…

Honourable mentions

There were a lot of fine entries for the competition and the submissions came in the form of maps, sketches, documents and more. Here’s a small sample of some of the excellent ideas we received.

This detailed concept from Rhys Gardiner (a.k.a. Stealthman) was a front-runner in the realistic category. It included suggestions for alternative configurations and what types of barrier should be used. Grant Bigham’s idea included a recommended racing line and the Pinball Autodrome by Leslie Roche had what every F1 track should have – a cross-over. And the technical sophistication of Eric M’s entry was enormously impressive.

I’m afraid I can’t mention everyone who entered by name, but thanks to everyone who sent in track designs.

And Mr Tilke, if you want to get in touch with the winners you can find my contact details at the bottom of the page.

30 comments on Track design competition winners named

1. When was this competetion held??

2. Keith, I would’ve chosen either Leslie’s Pinball Autodrome or the one of Grant Bigham’s :)

But all the designs posted here are very much impressive indeed.

3. ajokay said on 12th December 2008, 9:15

aka Alex Odell.

Aww wow! I had the biggest grin on my face when I read the email from you last night Keith! First thing I’ve ever won! Even more special that it’s F1-related.

Some of the designs are great though. I’d love to see F1 on Eric M’s track, and even moreso on the Ellis Island track. Imagine that with the New York and New Jersey skylines in the background!

4. Chalky said on 12th December 2008, 9:31

Very impressive, if only I had the spare time.
    Imagine the speed just before turn 11 on the Pinball track!
    Well done guys.

5. I loved the Pinball Autodrome track, even though turns 8-10 would probably be lethally fast.

6. Seedy001 said on 12th December 2008, 9:38

Whoa, I won!! Thats fantastic – a little bit of extra spending money for the post-xmas sales! Thanks for putting up some of the other ideas too, Keith, great seeing everyone elses great ideas.

Congratulations to Alex as well!

7. ajokay said on 12th December 2008, 10:48

Congrats to you too Neil!

Glad to see you wern’t afraid to design a nice long track either. I think circuits are getting too short these days!

8. williams-fan64 said on 12th December 2008, 10:59

Great designs there, I am a big fan of the New York waterfront idea, having looked at Google Earth, it is in superb location and would make a great addition to the F1 calendar. Would there be a possible Valencia-esque pit complex?

Good track to boot, I’m a big fan of the fast flowing corners and long straights, the waterfront section looks formidable, its just ashame there wasn’t a better program used to visualise it!

9. Stealthman said on 12th December 2008, 11:41

An honourable mention is as good as a win for me! :D Just one thing: Keith, if it isn’t too much to ask, could you please delete the second “i” in my last name? Thanks. :)
    Great designs from all that entered, and thank you Keith and the Mind Your Own Business Podcast for setting this up!

10. am sorry but i just dont like the Fantasy design. a F1 track with a jump??? come on here wake up.
    Eric Ms is nice however :)

11. Michiel said on 12th December 2008, 13:25

nice designs. I love the pinball autodromo very much. maybe we can sent all the tracks to bernie. than he is picking 1 out of it and let it build. I think that could be great.

12. @Joe – well as the chap behind this bit of fun, if I’d been allowed to enter I would have had a jump in my Fantasy track! Surely that’s the whole idea of fantasy – something that’ll never happen but would be nice of it did.

Keith – as soon as I have the winners’ details I’ll get their prize money off to them. Thanks for organising and hosting the competition, it’s been fun to be involved.

Guy

13. Oh, and by the way, I’d be very interested to see other F1F readers’ ideas about what they liked in the winning designs and features not mentioned that could add to the sport.

Two innovations I’d like to see are i) 5-car rows on the grid and ii) alternative routes – a risky shortcut versus a longer, slower way round. That’s where my jump would come in on a fantasy track.

Keith, can people post drawings of their own ideas as links to their comments?

Guy

14. Antifia said on 12th December 2008, 15:10

Congratulation ajokay and Seedy001 – Great job!

15. Abhishek said on 12th December 2008, 15:23

great effort guys – nice ideas