Track design competition winners named

Hermann Tilke's entry was disqualified

Hermann Tilke's entry was disqualified

If the world’s racing circuits disappeared overnight and we needed a fresh set of blueprints to work from, at least we already have a collection of great ideas thanks to the stack of track concepts sent in for the latest F1 Fanatic competition.

The winners, who each receive ?é?ú100 courtesy of the Mind Your Own Business Podcast, are named below.

Fantasy design – Alex Odell

Alex Odell\'s winning entry

Alex Odell's winning entry

Alex Odell’s canyon track was originally designed for a project but it wasn’t just the detailed 3D rendering that impressed. With a jump and a tunnel forming part of the track it looks like something straight out of a computer game. Congratulations to Alex, who is the first of our two ?é?ú100 winners.

Realistic design – Neil Smith

Neil Smith\'s winning entry

Neil Smith's winning entry

Neil Smith picked a location for his realistic circuit – Ellis Island in New York. As well as including some ideas popular with modern F1 circuits – like a blast along a waterfront – he included ideas from tracks like Spa-Francorchamps and Elkhart Lake. All he needs now is a few hundred million dollars to turn his vision into a reality. Well, we can help him out with the first hundred…

Honourable mentions

There were a lot of fine entries for the competition and the submissions came in the form of maps, sketches, documents and more. Here’s a small sample of some of the excellent ideas we received.

This detailed concept from Rhys Gardiner (a.k.a. Stealthman) was a front-runner in the realistic category. It included suggestions for alternative configurations and what types of barrier should be used. Grant Bigham’s idea included a recommended racing line and the Pinball Autodrome by Leslie Roche had what every F1 track should have – a cross-over. And the technical sophistication of Eric M’s entry was enormously impressive.

I’m afraid I can’t mention everyone who entered by name, but thanks to everyone who sent in track designs.

And Mr Tilke, if you want to get in touch with the winners you can find my contact details at the bottom of the page.

30 comments on Track design competition winners named

1. theRoswellite said on 12th December 2008, 15:31

Great entries, great idea Keith, great concept for future expansion on this site.

Is there an inexpensive CAD program, or web site, that people could use for future design work…next years contest?

2. ScuderiaToroFerrari4Eva said on 12th December 2008, 15:46

wow good tracks i truly liked the pinball autodrome it looks to be one which could if seen by bernie and co become a reality hopefully it will because turns 8-10 would be superfast and would be nice to actually see f1 cars go through there

3. ajokay said on 12th December 2008, 16:52

Would be good if there was a section of F1Fanatic for us fans to upload our track (and car) designs and ideas for the future, just for a laugh. Unless, of course, the F1 bosses see them and like them!

4. Ahhh man I didn’t even know this comp was going on.

I like Grant Bigham’s the best, some really interesting corners and sequences.

5. Grant Bigham said on 12th December 2008, 21:28

Hey,
    Can’t believe i even managed to get a mention, well pleased with that. Just wish i had more time to do it, as you can tell its errrr yer not the best presentation. Great competition though, something i enjoy doing and want try do more of, studying architecture at uni and would be good to get into track design. I wanted to design something that provided interesting turns and sections but also allowing overtaking. Sorry about the picture quality not being good, i did take a few pics of the different sections, but obviously easier to put up the whole track piccy.

6. Eric M. said on 13th December 2008, 0:06

An honourable mention is as good as a win for me!

Yep, me too. :)

Congrats to the winners! Very impressive designs indeed. I thought Neil Smith’s layout was very well thought out, as was his location. Wasn’t Bernie exploring the idea of a New York race a couple years back?

The other honourable mentions were impressive too. I particularily liked the Pinball Autodrome. I’m curious to know what program Leslie used to create it. The presentation quality is fantastic.

I thought about starting a thread in the forum. I’ve got several more designs I’d like to get feedback on.

Hermann Tilke’s entry was disqualified

Heh heh.

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th December 2008, 0:35

Stealthman – Oops, sorry – fixed!

Roswelite & Eric M – Like the idea of having a space where people can upload their own stuff. Any suggestions for how to do it?

8. Forum would make sense but I’m guessing it doesn’t get as many hits as the blog and so maybe wouldn’t be that great. Dunno maybe a sub page where people could somehow post images at the top and comment at the bottom would be good. People could send in pictures and each month you could put up the submissions, although maybe something more immediate would generate more interest.

9. Seedy001 said on 13th December 2008, 22:04

Keith, not to sound desparate but have you any idea when the guys at Mind Your Own Business will be likely to contact Alex and I?

We poor students need all the financial help we can get – I still have all my xmas presents to buy and I don’t want to have to resort to breaking out the guitar in the middle of Glasgow city centre!

10. I’ll get the cash off to the winners as soon as I get their contact details from Keith.

Guy

11. when d competition held?

12. Wesley said on 14th December 2008, 0:19

Great imaginations guys,good work!I really love the Ellis Island track.

13. PinballLes said on 15th December 2008, 23:22

It was a fun competition. I think all the entries shown are good. I really like the detail of Eric M’s circuit. You could almost lodge that one for planning approval. Very detailed.

I like the topography of Alex Odell’s fantasy entry. I personally think all the best racetracks have hills, and sections with climbs, and descents.

14. Eric M. said on 16th December 2008, 19:09

Hey guys, just thought I’d let you know that I created a thread in the forum (which seems to be down at the moment?) for posting our track design ideas.

@ PinballLes

Thanks for the compliments! Thought your was fantastic as well. What program did you use to create it?

15. http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9923/02layoutmap1200ff5.jpg

Another entry to peruse, this time in London.