Update: Find the new F1 Fanatic gift guide for 2012 here:
Still need a present for the F1 fan in your life?
Here’s five last-minute ideas including the five most popular purchases by F1 Fanatic readers, a brand new model of Lewis Hamilton’s Brazilian Grand Prix McLaren MP4/23, a special offer on Murray Walker’s new DVD for F1 Fanatic readers, and more…
F1 magazine subscriptions
Thursday wouldn’t be Thursday without a copy of Autosport. But I find myself increasingly using my subscription more for the online added extras it brings: the weekly Journal on Autosport.com and the statistics service Forix.
When it comes to monthly magazines I have an admission to make: after seven years I’m letting my F1 Racing subcription lapse and ditching it for MotorSport. This isn’t to say that I don’t still enjoy parts of F1 Racing – particularly Alan Henry, Murray Walker and Peter Windsor’s contributions. I went off F1 Racing in a big way after the last redesign and I think MotorSport is a much improved product. That said, if you want F1 and nothing else, F1 Racing is probably the better choice:
- Buy the “Motorsport” Gift Subscription Pack (12 issues)
- Buy the “F1 Racing” Subscription Gift Pack (12 issues)
- Autosport subscriptions
Rob Ijbema paints one canvas with a motor racing picture every day! Check out his work at his Car a Day blog. Buyers in Europe and the UK can still get on in time for Christmas if they order today.
“Mike Hawthorn: Golden Boy”
This tribute to F1′s first world champion, crowned fifty years ago, arrived just days after I wrote the ‘Books’ section of the F1 gifts guide.
The enormous 400-plus page book is the work of Tony Bailey and Paul Skilleter who have done an incredibly thorough work. I haven’t had time to read it properly and do justice to it in review, but F1 history buffs should definitely investigate it. “Mike Hawthorn: Golden Boy” is published by PJ Publishing and costs ?é?ú60.
Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4/23, 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, world championship winner
This model will not be available this side of Christmas but collectors of Lewis Hamilton memorabilia will want to be at the front of the queue for the model of the car he won his first world championship in. The MP4/23 model reflects the design changes made to the car at a reputed cost of $4m in order to secure the world championship. It is expected to arrive sometime in 2009. More info here.
- Buy the Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4/23, 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix 1:43 model
- Buy the Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4/23, 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix 1:18 model
Most popular purchases on F1 Fanatic
Not sure what to get? Opt for safety in numbers. Here’s the five items purchased most regularly by F1 Fanatic readers on Amazon this year – all of which I’m happy to recommend:
- 1. F1 2008 season official DVD review – “Luck does not come into it” (Buy this now)
- 2. F1 2007 season official DVD review – “Kimi made it at last” (Buy this now)
- 3. “Crashed and Byrned – The Greatest Racing Driver you Never Saw” (Tommy Byrne with Mark Hughes) (Buy this now)
- 4. “Michael Schumacher – The Edge of Greatness” (James Allen) (Buy this now)
- 5. “The Death of Ayrton Senna” (Richard Williams) (Buy this now)
Need more F1 gift ideas?
- Ultimate F1 gifts guide: 2008 annuals & 2009 calendars
- Ultimate 2008 F1 gifts guide: Books
- Ultimate F1 gifts guide 2008: Gadgets , games and other gifts
- Ultimate F1 gifts guide 2008: Models
- Ultimate F1 gifts guide 2008: Season review DVDs and other videos …
- Ultimate 2008 F1 gifts guide: Clothes
- Ultimate F1 gifts guide 2008: Posh stuff
Murray Walker DVD special offer
F1 Fanatic readers can buy Murray Walker’s new DVD ‘Motorsport Madness’ for half price – ?é?ú9.99 instead of the usual ?é?ú19.99 (excludes postage). Simply visit http://www.motorsportmadnessdvd.com/, click ‘Buy now’ and use the promotional code MW1F1F.
Thanks to everyone who sent in suggestions for gifts!
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra.