50 years of British champions in pictures (Autosport International 2009)

Cars from Lewis Hamilton, Nigel Mansell and other British world champions

Cars from Lewis Hamilton, Nigel Mansell and other British world champions

One of the first exhibitions I wanted to see at the Autosport International show today was the celebration of 50 years of British world champions.

Sadly there was no car belonging to Mike Hawthorn, the first British world champion in 1958, because many early Ferrari F1 cars were used to build later racing machines.

But there were cars raced by Nigel Mansell, Jim Clark, James Hunt, Graham Hill, Damon Hill, Jackie Stewart and, of course, Lewis Hamilton. Here’s over 100 pictures from the collection.

Click once to preview, click again for high resolution version.

More F1 pictures

14 comments on 50 years of British champions in pictures (Autosport International 2009)

1. Wesley said on 8th January 2009, 23:00

mmmmm..lots of tasty pics,I am looking at them while I have my supper,I will download them for dessert.Thanks Keith!

2. Good set of pictures Keith!

I bet it will be incredibly difficult to take any decent snaps on Sunday when I go when it’s open to the general public :-(

3. Chris Johnson said on 8th January 2009, 23:32

Just curious why Hunt’s car displayed number 21. During his championship year it was #11.

Thanks for th great photos by the way, I’d love to be there.

4. The Limit said on 9th January 2009, 2:24

Now that is what I can eye candy!! Seeing many of those cars brings back alot of memories. Thankyou Keith.

5. Brendan said on 9th January 2009, 10:27

Wha….that’s not Lewis’s championship-winning MP4-23! That’s a launch-spec MP4-22, as evidenced by the airbox horns and non-bridge wing. Also, Heikki never raced the MP4-22. And worst of all…they’ve fitted the inexcusably ugly green Fuji 2008 tires to it.
    Nice car, but I’m not sure why it gets to be on a pedestal when the championship winners are sitting on the floor.

6. ajokay said on 9th January 2009, 11:06

Interesting to see how some of the earlier multiple champions, such as G Hill and Sir Jackie, how their first and last winning cars differ so much in shape and design.

You look at the differences between Damon’s and Lewis’ cars, and yes, they are different, but not nearly so much as the difference between Jackie’s first and last championship winning cars.

7. TMFOX said on 9th January 2009, 12:16

Did they have to use those ugly tyres for Lewis’s car in the display? Otherwise very nice :)

8. Yeah Lewis Hamiltons McLaren looks a good bit different to the on that won the championship.

Anyway I have to say that Graham Hill’s BRM is stunning. What a beautiful car!

9. Great great great pictures. Thank you. (I still loathe those green stripes on the tyres though… what a daft con trick)

10. D Winn said on 10th January 2009, 13:13

I agree Les, the BRM is stunning – I love the 8 pipes in the air.

What camera do you use Keith ?