Ferrari F60 launched at Mugello – pictures & video (2009 F1 car launches)

Ferrari has launched its 2009 F1 car at Mugello. The F60 is the first Formula 1 car for the new season to break cover.

More high-resolution pictures of the new car below. Update: Pictures of the F60′s first test and launch video added.

All images (c) Ferrari spa.

Video: Onboard with Massa in the F60

More Ferrari F1 car pictures

80 comments on Ferrari F60 launched at Mugello – pictures & video (2009 F1 car launches)

1 2 3 4
  1. It’s not a pretty one is it?

• To me, it looks classy, clean corners, and I can’t wait to see what the other teams bring to the table.

2. Smitty said on 12th January 2009, 9:24

I’m pleasantly surprised by the looks of this car. It’s good to see the cars nice and smooth again. Especially the rear part of the car, makes you realise how tight the packaging really is.

Looking forward to seeing it out on the track.

3. diseased rat said on 12th January 2009, 9:25

It looks pretty good to me! Those 2009 spec wings are already looking less abnormal than might be expected. I think we’ll get so used to them by the mid season that when we see 2007/8 cars they’ll look a bit silly with all the extra aero and winglets.

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th January 2009, 9:31

The front-to-rear wing proportion still looks odd, and the length of the rear endplates compared to the size of the wing is decidedly strange – this is all stuff forced by the regulations of course.

Apart from that it’s a Ferrari in a proper deep red, and they’ve not done anything silly with the Marlboro decals, so I like it. And I see Tata don’t get to have their logo in blue – that must cost extra!

• Stephen Luick said on 20th March 2009, 22:59

I agree. The oddest part of the car is the front-to-rear wing proportion. Otherwise it looks great as usual.

5. Adrian said on 12th January 2009, 9:33

Still think the nose looks unusually long….

6. Chalky said on 12th January 2009, 9:36

No Anvil wing then. Were they banned?
    Looks pretty good to me.

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th January 2009, 9:38

Oh, and I’m surprised they’re allowed to have those deflectors in front of the sidepods. Thought the ’09 regs would have banned those.

8. F60? Not F2009 or ‘Schumacher’?. Is there a new guy in charge of naming then? :-)

9. Alianora La Canta said on 12th January 2009, 9:49

The 2009 regulations seem to have been primarily aimed at stopping upper-bodywork bits and pieces. I can’t remember seeing any dimension requirements that ban what Ferrari has done with the deflector. How many designers do you think will see that and wonder why they hadn’t spotted the same loophole as the Ferrari brigade?

• I think there is still enough time for the rest to pick that point up from Ferrari (if they had not found it by themselves) :)

10. Alianora La Canta said on 12th January 2009, 9:50

DG, it wouldn’t surprise me if a new namer had been selected. It doesn’t chime with the 248 designation of last year…

• How many designers do you think will see that and wonder why they hadn’t spotted the same loophole as the Ferrari brigade?

If it is Ferrari cunningly exploiting a loophole why didn’t the boys at Maranello keep it a secret until the first race?

I quite like the F60 – it’s certainly a lot prettier and in proportion than the BMW Sauber test hack, but that was only to be expected. It still looks pretty awful from the front, especially at ground level. In profile it looks fine, rather elegant in fact.

The coke bottle shape at the rear of the car is very pronounced, much more so than I expected given the need to accommodate the bulky KERS system. Is this an indicator that the launch version of the F60 will be doing its initial running without the new system? Or just that Ferrari has done a superb job on packaging?

11. The car looks beautiful considering the ugly hypes given, except for the odd wing dimensions.

12. @Tim

I guess, F60 is KERS equipped. The official formula1 site reads

The F60’s design also takes into account two other major rule changes – the return of slick tyres and the option to use a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS). Ferrari’s KERS has been designed in collaboration with Magneti Marelli and is centrally mounted on the engine under the rear part of the chassis.

Keith, do you have any info about the KERS in F60?

• Ive heard from other sites that the F60 designation comes from 60 years of GP racing. I’m not really sure about the name.

13. Stealthman said on 12th January 2009, 10:22

I like it. I really do. The shark-nose front looks ice-cool. :D

Still, it’s a shame about the rear wing. :(

14. Dougie said on 12th January 2009, 10:22

Kinda concur with mani. I was surprised, considering the ugly hypes, to find that I found the car very elegant and classy. I think it is all to do with the clean lines and lack of a million appendages. The front wing still looks odd, the back is fine, but I guess we’ll soon get used to that.

However, what a waste of money by TATA. Took me ages to find their logo, and I doubt I will ever see it again during the race coverage.

15. grumpyoldmansell said on 12th January 2009, 10:26

The front shot looks great – I thought we’d be watching combine harvester races this year, but the wings are a welcome throwback to the ’89-’90 cars.

Shame they’ve kept the Americas Cup fin on the engine cover – it would look a lot sleeker if smaller bodywork was allowed.

And it looks like a bird’s crapped on it – how many people know the barcode means “Marlboro” any more?

• As long as Marlboro pays, why should they care about it? It is Marlboro who should think about it :)

For me, Ferrari had never seemed to be a team who care for their livery (but just being red makes me feel good, they made it a tradition to look so). I was not expecting any livery changes from Ferrari, but let’s see how the rest of the single seaters get dressed this year :)

1 2 3 4