Toyota reveals the TF109 – pictures and video

2009 F1 season

Toyota TF109

The Toyota TF109 has become the second F1 car to break cover this year. Toyota used a live online launch to unveil their eighth car to contest the F1 world championship.

More pictures and video of the Toyota TF109 below.

Video of the Toyota TF109

Video of the Toyota TF109 and drivers

Toyota TF109 being built

Toyota TF109 launch video

Images ?? Toyota

42 comments on Toyota reveals the TF109 – pictures and video

1. Adrian said on 15th January 2009, 11:13

Still looks like someone threw red paint at a white car…

2. How can they allow those deflectors in front of the sidepods. i hope this isn’t one of those seasons where the FIA can’t police a rule change.

• Surely the deflectors in front of the sidepods (as those on the Ferrari) must be coming close to being illegal ‘ground-effect’ aeros?

3. Internet said on 15th January 2009, 11:16

And Ferrari still looks like someone threw red paint at a car. Ferrari’s livery is so boring compared to other teams.

Hopefully McLaren will go back to the darker scheme.

• beneboy said on 15th January 2009, 22:51

I think I’ll have to say that’s a matter of taste.

Personally I like the way the Ferrari looks and think they tend to be one of the best looking cars on the grid as far as paint jobs are concerned.
      I like the classic look.

Red Bull do some nice paint jobs too but most other cars look like billboards from the 80s.

4. Mar-E-o said on 15th January 2009, 11:38

I doesn’t look quick as the Ferrari does but you can’t really judge that untill we’ve seen it racing

5. I’m going to stick my neck out here and say I actually think that looks better than the Ferrari, even with the dull paint job. The lines look cleaner and I think the paint job goes better with the new F1 shape. The barcode on the Fezzas rear wing only goes to highlight the oddness of the high-wing look, whereas I think the Toyota covers it up fairly well.

6. Its Hammer time said on 15th January 2009, 11:43

What a moose

7. The car doesn’t seem to have anything exciting at the first look, shorter nose and is less appealing than what it could have been. Let’s see how it behaves on the track, in the end it is what all that matters :)

8. I thought the nose on this was hideous, so I compared it back to the Ferrari. The Toyota is actually nicer… it’s just a season for hideous noses.

9. sajonaraman said on 15th January 2009, 12:09

So, the walrus is back… Can’t wait for all the teams to unveil their official cars for this season to compare them all. So far TF109 is the uglier one, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see something even worse than that from BMW. With its square front wing design F1.08B looked like some DDR home appliance…

10. Chalky said on 15th January 2009, 12:32

Not sure about their launch video.
    It tells me that Toyota need a decent sparky to sort out their factory electrics and sliding doors. :D
    It’d be rather ironic if the TF109 suffers from electrical problems this season.

11. Adrian said on 15th January 2009, 12:33

Just watched the video of the TF109 being built, and look in the carpark out the window, there’s a Merc, a BMW and an Audi… You’d think they would have made sure all the cars in shot were Toyota’s or Lexus’s (or is that Lexi??) wouldn’t you..!!

12. whatever the rules are toyota manage to stay the same.
    Even this car looks like a lot with TF105.!!

13. Rob R. said on 15th January 2009, 12:52

Wow what a daring livery…

14. chaostheory said on 15th January 2009, 12:57

For the money they spent on those videos i could live for a year :P

15. Interesting, some obvious similarities to the TF108 but a few key differences in a couple of respects beyond the dimensional changes imposed by the new rules.

Firstly, the TF109’s nose is a lot higher, narrower and it even looks to be slightly shorter in length. From some angles it looks a little like Williams’ unsuccessful 2004 Walrus nose.

Secondly, the front suspension is mounted very high up on the TF109 chassis and has to be angled quite steeply downwards – compare and contrast with the Ferrari F60. TF108 had this feature too but TF109 appears to be even steeper.

Thirdly, the back end of the car (from the engine back) looks significantly higher than TF108 – presumably because of the KERS system.

Features like the floor and undercut sidepods look almost unchanged. TF109 is a lot cleaner and has significantly fewer appendages, although you only really see the difference if you look at them side by side.

16. Alastair said on 15th January 2009, 13:18

Ironic that the company which makes the Prius isn’t using KERS!

17. Fer no.65 said on 15th January 2009, 13:28

The front wing is so high!!! I don’t think (sincerely) that i will get used to this… the look is so strange… :S

I don’t mind the rear wing… but the front win it’s too much…

But! be honest it looks better than the Ferrari… The livery works better on a wing-clean car :)

18. iceshiel said on 15th January 2009, 13:42

why does the toyota have two protrusions on the sides? arent those disallowed?

19. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th January 2009, 14:02

If you compare the top-down view of the F60 with the TF109, the Ferrari is much more slender at the rear.

Also I like the curvature on the TF109’s end plates as you look down on them.

I’m still not sold on the looks of the 2009 cars, though. The disparity between the widths of the front and rear wings is fundamentally wrong, and the rear wing endplates are too large as well.

20. I noticed they have no air intake on the tip of the front nose cone.

I still can’t say I’m bowled over by this years cars but I am looking forward to the start of this years ‘F1 snow plough championship’…