Toyota reveals the TF109 – pictures and video

2009 F1 season

Toyota TF109

The Toyota TF109 has become the second F1 car to break cover this year. Toyota used a live online launch to unveil their eighth car to contest the F1 world championship.

More pictures and video of the Toyota TF109 below.

Video of the Toyota TF109

Video of the Toyota TF109 and drivers

Toyota TF109 being built

Toyota TF109 launch video

Images ?é?® Toyota

42 comments on Toyota reveals the TF109 – pictures and video

1. Alastair said on 15th January 2009, 13:18

Ironic that the company which makes the Prius isn’t using KERS!

2. Fer no.65 said on 15th January 2009, 13:28

The front wing is so high!!! I don’t think (sincerely) that i will get used to this… the look is so strange… :S

I don’t mind the rear wing… but the front win it’s too much…

But! be honest it looks better than the Ferrari… The livery works better on a wing-clean car :)

3. iceshiel said on 15th January 2009, 13:42

why does the toyota have two protrusions on the sides? arent those disallowed?

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th January 2009, 14:02

If you compare the top-down view of the F60 with the TF109, the Ferrari is much more slender at the rear.

Also I like the curvature on the TF109’s end plates as you look down on them.

I’m still not sold on the looks of the 2009 cars, though. The disparity between the widths of the front and rear wings is fundamentally wrong, and the rear wing endplates are too large as well.

5. I noticed they have no air intake on the tip of the front nose cone.

I still can’t say I’m bowled over by this years cars but I am looking forward to the start of this years ‘F1 snow plough championship’…

6. It will be rather boring to see the back half of the field pitting on lap one for nose cones every race.

7. This is an impressively boring car. I really don’t think they could have made it any more utterly nondescript.

8. I like the new Front wing attachement , we’ll see many new cars having a puncture this season

9. ajokay said on 15th January 2009, 15:18

I think I prefer the Ferrari.

Although I still think it’s sad, now that we’ve seen the 2nd car launched with them, that they have the bargeboards on the front end of the sidepods.

I thought the point of this season was that all of those were banned. I don’t care if the designers have found a loop-hole, the teams should just be told to remove them.

10. sajonaraman said on 15th January 2009, 15:30

I just took a second look at TF109. I absolutely hate it. Also, Glock and Trulli in the promo video, the whole idea of K1-like promotion- it’s all just soulless, daft and sad… Sorry for being so grim Keith but you have to admit there’s something important missing here. I say it’s passion.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th January 2009, 21:12

Well I can’t say I find the idea of Toyota very exciting. Speaking as someone who’s driven a few of their cars. They’re pretty soulless, mass-produced and tedious. But I like Trulli and Glock though – I like the idea of an Italian F1 driver who makes wine (surely the ultimate NASCAR fan’s stereotype of an F1 driver?) and Glock has potential I reckon.

11. Sancho said on 15th January 2009, 17:52

Interesting to see reserved driver in Cockpit and Race drivers on Sidepods.

12. Pete Walker said on 15th January 2009, 17:56

Good to see Toyota committed to cost-cutting by pinching the nose from an Arrows A23 :P

13. anirudh said on 15th January 2009, 18:38

all the cars look so much different from each other

14. I like it. Regarding deflectors/protrusions, weren’t those a loophole in the rules coming from the crash structure zones?
    Honestly i liked the whole website/video, it shows commitment from toyota to the sport

15. The more of these 2009 spec cars I see, the more I’m starting to love them. If you asked me last year, I would have refused to admit that was even possible.

However, I must say, that I think this Toyota actually looks a bit better than the Ferrari. As crazy as it sounds, I prefer the Toyota. Crazy I know. Can’t wait to lay eyes on the McLaren later in the week!