McLaren MP4/24 revealed – pictures and video (2009 F1 car launches)

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen reveal the McLaren MP4/24

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen reveal the McLaren MP4/24

McLaren has shown off its 2009 F1 car, the MP4/24, with which Lewis Hamilton will be looking to defend his 2008 world championship.

Pictures and video of the new McLaren launched at the McLaren Technology Centre below.

Mclaren MP4-24 launch video

Thanks Becken!

McLaren is the third F1 team to reveal its 2009 F1 car. See pictures of the new Ferrari and Toyota below:

Images (C) www.mclaren.com, Daimler

63 comments on McLaren MP4/24 revealed – pictures and video (2009 F1 car launches)

1. Jordy - The Egg Man said on 16th January 2009, 13:41

I convinced big Ron to use Slick 50 in order to make the tyres shine a little more…

Did Mclaren lose the West sponsorship?

Jordy Go West

• I seem to think McLaren have not had West sponsorship for a while now…

• Pete Walker said on 16th January 2009, 14:01

Did Mclaren lose the West sponsorship?

Word on the street is that Williams won’t have Camel in 2009 either. :O

:P

• Jordy, McLaren lost the West sponsorship in 2005 due to the anti-tobacco policy of F1 organaizers. This is the reason that since 2006 mclaren cars aren’t black-silver, but silver-red because of Fly emirates(2006) and Vodafone(2007,08) sponsorships

2. Smitty said on 16th January 2009, 13:45

Beautiful! No doubt that it will get progressively uglier throughout the year :(

That car looks so slick, though, my guess is that McLaren should have quite a fruitful year ahead of them. Looking forward to more car launches next week with the first group test of the new cars! :D

3. Wow, I think I’m falling in love with F1 car design again…..

Not too sure about the narrow rear wings and the wide front wings yet, but I’ll probably get used to them. At least we didn’t end up with the 2 separate wings over each back wheel that was rumoured a while back.

But I’m really loving the slick tyres and the fact that we can appreciate the body shapes a lot more now, without all those extra fins and wings. Although, having said that, I’m not too keen on the mirror stalks on the Ferrari – are these allowed?

Overall, it’s a toss-up between the Ferrari and the McLaren for beauty. I can’t wait to see them in action!

• Adrian said on 16th January 2009, 14:23

I would really have liked to have seen a real life full size F1 car with the CDG Rear Wings on it… Just out of curiosity you understand.

4. ajokay said on 16th January 2009, 14:07

First car to be launched with a number on the front too.

5. Adrian said on 16th January 2009, 14:24

Really wish they’d ban those stupid wheel covers. The front wheels look like one solid piece rather than a wheel with a tyre on it – just not nice…

• John Harding said on 16th January 2009, 22:41

Sooner that than the fake ‘drawn on’ wheels on the Ferrari though in my opinion. I do not understand why they do that to such a beautiful machine – it’s sacrilege!

6. Wow! The back wing is extraordinarily unique. I’d really like to see the aerodynamic tests for it…

7. I didn’t think I’d ever say this, but the MP4-24 looks better than the F60 or the TF106. I especially like the somewhat bigger sidepods, with the exaust incorporated into the bodywork.

8. yeah i love this car. roll on oz.

9. the limit said on 16th January 2009, 15:26

All of the cars so far have looked amazing. I am so pleased that they got rid of all of those ugly looking aero wings on the bodywork, making the cars look far more sleak and more traditional. They are really taking the ‘look’ back twenty years, with the slick tyres and narrow rear ends and narrow, high rear wings.
    All we need is the sparks out of the back during the race, and it’ll be like 1991 all over again.

10. muckymuck said on 16th January 2009, 15:27

What a great looking car. The details on the car are amazing…the exhaust, the nose, the air intakes, the body as a whole. Stunning.

I’m glad the rear wing doesn’t look like a lego block like on the F60. Somehow it comes off as looking like it’s not too tall.

11. sajonaraman said on 16th January 2009, 15:32

Nice&sleek. I love the oval air intakes, they make it look fast, but the real gem is the nose. I’ve been wondering how this design would withstand the safety regulations, but if it looks like this it has to be ok. Good work McLaren, you made me smile instead of cry like TF109.

12. Oddly reminds me of the Ferrari F92A – I think it’s the nose and radiator ducts. No double floor though.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 16th January 2009, 23:38

I know what you mean I thought the same thing. Unfortunately the F92A was – and I’m being very kind here – a complete and utter dog. In fact I think it was in Autosport’s ‘top ten rubbish F1 cars’ recently.

13. Great looking car, no doubt. I always thought that the current paint scheme is the best on the grid, glad they haven’t changed it.

Is it just my perception or is the front suspension of the Ferrari way more aero looking than the McLaren’s??

14. For some reason the nose reminded me of a dolphin (look at the top down pic) and now I can’t get that image out of my head! Great looking car though