McLaren MP4/24 revealed – pictures and video (2009 F1 car launches)

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen reveal the McLaren MP4/24

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen reveal the McLaren MP4/24

McLaren has shown off its 2009 F1 car, the MP4/24, with which Lewis Hamilton will be looking to defend his 2008 world championship.

Pictures and video of the new McLaren launched at the McLaren Technology Centre below.

Mclaren MP4-24 launch video

Thanks Becken!

McLaren is the third F1 team to reveal its 2009 F1 car. See pictures of the new Ferrari and Toyota below:

Images (C) www.mclaren.com, Daimler

63 comments on McLaren MP4/24 revealed – pictures and video (2009 F1 car launches)

1. arporter said on 16th January 2009, 19:03

the McLaren and Ferrari cars actually look alright (cant judge speed on that though). more sleak than the Toyota

2. antonyob said on 16th January 2009, 19:56

It looks sensational from profile and the midships view from above is almost beautiful. I guess like everything, the devils in the detail and Mclaren never get that wrong. If theyd only put the engines in the front and ban wings we’d have a true renaissance, even the second golden age. Form is as important as form in F1

3. Its nice, but is it just me or are the sidepods quite a bit fatter than last years car and this years ferrari and toyota?

4. Here, in this LINK, the McLaren MP4/24 presentation in VIDEO.

5. Paige said on 16th January 2009, 21:26

Whether or not you are a McLaren fan, you have to admit that the car is simply gorgeous. It is possibly the most beautiful car in motor racing history.

• sajonaraman said on 17th January 2009, 3:56

Ive got to agree with you Paige. I’m certainly not a McLaren fan, but just one look at the silhouette of MP4/24 tells me it’s going to be one hell of a car to beat. By comparison the TF109 doesn’t have that lightness of form McL has. It may not at all be rellevant or true, but there’s just so much energy hidden in it’s shape I’d be surprised if the performance didn’t follow. Can’t wait for BMW Sauber now!

6. theRoswellite said on 16th January 2009, 22:28

Following a reversed version of the old concept, “form follows function”, you can predict the cars performance based on only appearance. I actually believe this has, at least, a bit of merit. For long time followers of F1, the “look” of the car is unconsciously analyzed, and one is left with a “feeling” about the overall speed of the car. Maybe this is rubbish, I certainly would not want to put it to any kind of test, never the less, I certainly get those “feelings” about certain cars, and have for years (probably impossible not to).

So, my vote…..this baby is going to be quick.

7. Timbo said on 17th January 2009, 2:47

Yeah, the McLaren looks nice, but I’ve got a funny feeling it’s not going to be that quick. Of course, I’ll be proven wrong by a McLaren 1-2 on the grid in Melbourne, but comparing it to the Toyota and Ferrari it looks a little underdone.

It doesn’t look as tightly packaged as either the F60 or TF109 and they seem to have overlooked the area at the front of the sidepods that the others have exploited. I know the aero package will likely change considerably by Melbourne, but the front wing end plates look a little crude, particularly in comparison to Toyota’s, as do the actuators for the movable front flaps – the other two seem to have incorporated these more effectively into the front wing design than McLaren has.

I wonder whether the development that went into securing Hamilton’s title has set them back for 2009, or if they’ll be as quick as ever?

8. Beauty is judged by speed, and nothing is more homely than being slow. I’m looking at you, MP4-18.

9. This time Mclaren should win the WCC also. They are the best of all the cars. Great looking too.I wish them all the best.

10. the best looking car by far. The way an f1 should look like. The rear tyres a bit wider woulden’t hurt though.
    Dennis steping down… makes me wonder. First ferrari was giving engines to honda, then all of a sudden they say they would’t, soon afterwards mercedes is very happy to help, no dead line, and at this particular moment, dennis steps down. All very convenient… for ron dennis to buy honda and get the best deal ever in formula one. Well sorry, the second best. remember that ecclestone got the hole show for free.

11. MacademiaNut said on 17th January 2009, 11:34

I absolutely love the exhaust integrated into the body. Great design. +1 for McLaren.

The front wing looks a bit crude due to the support for the different layers at the edges. Ferrari, however, has a much cleaner design. +1 for Ferrari.
    Can someone comment on where exactly the adjustable front wing would be? McLaren design seems to have been pretty fixed — can’t see the movable part from the pics.

The rear-view mirrors on the Ferrari is a definite stand-out. But, it is not clear if it will suffer from severe vibration during the race (last year’s races showed significant vibrations of their sidepods).

12. Derek said on 17th January 2009, 11:35

I agree it looks nice. The exhausts in particular look good, as long as they do not overheat like Ferrari’s did early last season. Do the tyres look narrower this year in addition to being slicks? I’m sad to hear that Ron is stepping down as Team principal but he is leaving that responsibility in good hands with Martin Whitmarsh, and I’m sure he’ll be keeping a close eye on things in the background. Finally is the Kers system on this car now?

13. really nice! it seems to have a muscular flow in style and some great little design touches, that is quite contrasting to the toyota or ferrari. i love the wings, front and rear… hopefully there won’t be any need for any more dotted all over! but i will say, is it just me, or does the suspension (particular front) look really over engineered and not particular elegant or aerodynamic? im sure it is! it just doesnt look like it! good luck for the new season lads!

14. Darren said on 19th January 2009, 19:59

What a fantastic looking car… cant wait for the start of this season!!

15. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd January 2009, 22:16

I’ve uploaded some new pictures from the launch and new studio pictures showing the car in greater detail.