Williams FW31 introduced in interim livery (2009 F1 car launches)

Williams-Toyota FW31 - 2009 F1 car

Williams-Toyota FW31 - 2009 F1 car

Williams has revealed its 2009 F1 car – the FW31. The team go into 2009 with Toyota engines for the third year in a row.

The FW31 has been presented in an interim livery. Its final paint scheme for the 2009 F1 season will be revealed next month. Pictures of the new Williams below.

Drivers Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima have spent their entire F1 careers with Williams. This is Rosberg’s fourth full season and Nakajima’s second. Nico H?â??lkenberg is driving the car today.

Click once to preview, click again for high resolution version.

Images (C) Williams/LAT

45 comments on Williams FW31 introduced in interim livery (2009 F1 car launches)

1. Very good looking car… I guess it is Ferrari, McLaren & Williams who’s gonna steal the show with the looks :) But let’s see whether all three stay in contention for the titles… I guess McLaren and Ferrari will be there in the top and I wish Williams to be there with them.

Certainly not Renault, though I like Alonso… I hate them for their new livery ;)

2. Browny said on 19th January 2009, 12:01

It looks good, but it’s hard to tell exactly when it’s in such a dark livery

3. They also seem to have gone for a Double Decker front flaps, and their rear seem to be well constructed too. If I’m not wrong, this is the only team working with mechanical K.E.R.S, let’s see how advantageous or disadvantageous it could be!

4. Slightly off the topic, but can anyone confirm… is it 2009 spec rear wing that McLaren is using at the Algarve Motor Park today??? It looks very flat and wide, for me it looks like a 2008 spec one.

• Adrian said on 19th January 2009, 15:17

Absolutely that’s a 2008 spec rear wing. Very weird. The only reason I can think of that they’d be running that is to compare the readings they get on the ’09 car using the same wing configuration as they have previously tested on the ’08 car – to set a baseline as it were.

On a related note, the ’08 spec STR already looks like it’s front wing is too small and the ’08 spec rear wing on that Macca looks strange too. I’m already getting used to these cars, which IMO don’t look anywhere near as bad out on track as they do when they’re photographed in a studio..!!

5. Kester said on 19th January 2009, 13:43

Best looking car so far. Easily up there with Ferrari.

Oh and Mani, it looks like a 2008 spec rear wing. No idea why they’d run it though, but if you compare it against the Toro Rosso you can see it’s almost identical in proportions and position.

6. Arthur 954 said on 19th January 2009, 13:47

Looks elegant ! Perhaps a final touch could be some dark metallic green, the British racing colour. Maybe also some CHROME TOUCHES, like in the suspension pieces. This combination of dark green and chrome is a very genuine British historical look, and something Williams could make a little bit of a theme of. This would touch the hearts of many people and further increase the class and prestige of the team.
    It is very important that they keep the silver rims in the wheels, I would even switch to chrome.
    Their sponsors Philips, RBS, Oris are made to look like upscale brands because of this elegant livery.
    Well done Williams ! they deserve the best!

7. sajonaraman said on 19th January 2009, 13:55

It looks good. Very good even. Keep the livery or don’t change too much and it’ll be just fine. So far in terms of pure esthetics:
    1.MP4/24
    2.FW31
    3.F60
    4.R29
    5.TF109

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 19th January 2009, 14:02

Nice understated livery – hope it’s close to the finished design.

But the one thing this car definitely needs is more sponsors. It looks pretty sparse, and that’s bad news for their bottom line.

9. Jonatas said on 19th January 2009, 14:42

Wow! I clicked this post so that I can leave a comment saying that this has been the best looking 2009 car I’ve seen so far. To my surprise, most seem to agree with me.

I do hope they keep this livery. My first thought was that the dark colors hide the uglyness of the shapes of the 2009 cars.

10. Robert McKay said on 19th January 2009, 14:49

The Williams is the only one that really looks right when viewed nose-on. The others generally look ok at an angle, but not from the front.

11. I love the look of this car.I feel i like this one even more than the Mclaren one.
    Can’t wait to see it on track and to hear more about their KERS which seems to be different from all the others being used.

They have also taken the unique decision to produce their own flywheel-based Kinetic Energy Recovery System, in contrast to the battery devices that the rest of the teams have developed.

@autosport

12. Not bad. Good to see RBS have not bailed…

13. Robert McKay said on 19th January 2009, 15:56

Good to see RBS have not bailed…

No, they’ve been bailed :-D

• j unit said on 19th January 2009, 22:28

Yes my friend, every taxpayer in the uk is now a personal sponsor of this fine example of machinery.:)

• ajokay said on 20th January 2009, 17:26

In which case, I am proud to sponsor the Williams F1 team, and wish them the best of luck for the coming season.

14. Colin said on 19th January 2009, 16:11

Handsome car, and agree with those that say keep this livery, hope they got some speed with them there looks!!!

15. Didnt they run a similar livery last year when the launched the 2008 car then changed it for the start of the season, or might be dreaming it!!

It is up there, there is something about the Mclaren though, I think it is the new nose and the exchaust housing on the MP24 that does it for me!

here is a pic from your archives