BMW F1.09 unveiled – pictures (2009 F1 car launches)

BMW F1.09 - 2009 F1 car (click to enlarge)

BMW F1.09 - 2009 F1 car (click to enlarge)

BMW’s F1.09 is the car Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld hope will transform their team from race-winners in 2008 to championship-contenders in 2009.

Pictures of the BMW F1.09, the sixth 2009 F1 car to get its launch, are below.

Click once to preview, click again for high resolution version.

Images (C) BMW ag

56 comments on BMW F1.09 unveiled – pictures (2009 F1 car launches)

1 2 3
  1. ajokay said on 20th January 2009, 8:50

I like it, very much. They’ve certainly managed to maximise front wing coverage though.

Along with the williams, a very siple, clean shape that looks as if it’ll be fast.

Also has the least curvy and radical of the sidepod shapes we’ve seen so far.

2. it’s ugly, i’m sorry but I don’t like it, actually I can hardly remember a good-looking BMW

3. I’m still not sure about the general rear wing specification, it looks as if it will fall off once the cars get up to speed…….

4. Adrian said on 20th January 2009, 9:03

What a bulky front wing….

5. p.s: Isn’t this BMW illegal because they have the same excaustpipes as Ferrari has, they need to be covered, is it?

6. That picture with last years car sums it all: 2009 challengers all are ugly as… well, look at the picture and tell me with a straight face that they don’t look like an indy car :(

• Haplo, I’m used to the look very much except those well known, ugly, out of proportion rear and front wings. I wish, FIA will soon realize this and will change the wing dimensions next season ;)

• Pedro Andrade said on 20th January 2009, 9:19

Actually, that comparison is my favourite picture of the new BMW, because it just made me realise that 2009 cars are actually very good looking! I’m even starting to get accostumed to the wings. The thousands of appendages on last year’s car look horrendous to me now. And the front wing is a bit big, but Williams’ is also, and I didn’t notice many complaints.

I quite like this car!

• Pedro, it is not about the look instead how efficient the appendages were? With aerodynamics in picture teams did their best to gain all the advantages they can, now FIA is taking aerodynamics out of the equation to encourage closer racing.

We’ll all get used to the looks when the car produces the maximum with the imposed regulations for the year. But, the regulations should also give certain technical freedom, otherwise what is there for the teams to do? nothing but designing the car with the FIA specifications :) and just look for a better driver to move forward.

• Dougie said on 20th January 2009, 10:52

@haplo… You are joking!?! Yeah??

That 2009/2008 picture I thought showed just how beautiful the new cars are (including the tall rear wing, and the front wing looks cleaner even though it is longer). The 2008 car looks pig ugly next to the new, it’s like my kid has been ripping it apart but leaving bits hanging off.

I love this new breed of cars, back to the clean lines of old with some seriously beautiful sculpting of the sidepods. The wings don’t look nearly as bad as expected, and if they improve the racing I’m all for them.

• Gusf1 said on 26th March 2009, 19:03

Damn right!!

7. The car looks good, but on a closer look… it seems BMW has also chosen to have that one-sided camera mount on the engine cover. There is something technical involved in it… BMW also has the protruding exhaust, but not as much as the Ferraris ;)

8. Maybe it’s a trick of the light, but the front wing flaps look way bigger than the other cars – is that the part the driver can adjust?

A no-nonsense car, you can bet it’ll be fast. A lot of sponsors’ logos have gone missing from last year’s car haven’t they?

9. is it me or does it just look a little bit dull….

10. Kester said on 20th January 2009, 9:25

I don’t know if it’s just me but how much better does a F1 car look without all those appendages everywhere?

11. Phew! They managed to do a good one, actually! Just except the ugly front wing, but on the other hand Willy Rampf claims this front wing is the next greatest thing after the internal combustion engines … so let’s see :-)

12. Not bad at all. That back wing looks deceptively low on some photos…

13. Also have a closer look to the overhead and side shots – that front wing has some quite interesting flaps behind ;-) ya, it looks 100% Albert2 designed (read: 0 aesthetics), but seems to really have some smart ideas below the surface ;-)

14. Jitman said on 20th January 2009, 10:47

Damn looks amazing..!
    Notice the exhaust outlet is visible.. Similar to Ferrari..
    All the other F1 cars (the Renault, Williams, McLaren and Toyota) – shows that their exhausts have all been mounted in-board.

1 2 3