BMW F1.09 unveiled – pictures (2009 F1 car launches)

BMW F1.09 - 2009 F1 car (click to enlarge)

BMW F1.09 - 2009 F1 car (click to enlarge)

BMW’s F1.09 is the car Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld hope will transform their team from race-winners in 2008 to championship-contenders in 2009.

Pictures of the BMW F1.09, the sixth 2009 F1 car to get its launch, are below.

Click once to preview, click again for high resolution version.

Images (C) BMW ag

56 comments on BMW F1.09 unveiled – pictures (2009 F1 car launches)

1. the limit said on 20th January 2009, 13:45

This car reminds me very much of the 2001 era BMW Williams, paint scheme and all. A very, very good looking car. Far better than the Renault.

2. I hope the front wing isn’t the next big thing, because if it is that good performance wise others will start copying it, and it isn’t the best looking of the ones we have seen so far.
    It would be good if all the different designs gave simliar levels of performance so teams aren’t tempted to copy other team’s cars. I prefer it when there is more to tell the cars apart other than the livery.

Regarding the BMW livery, to me it has always seemed a bit plain. I don’t dislike it, but I don’t like it either.

3. John H said on 20th January 2009, 14:13

I think we’re going to see them get through at least 100 of those front wings.

Even if they’re fast, they’ll just get snapped off at the start or over a kerb.

4. The cost cutting seems to have really hit them; it appears they’ve used a guardrail as the outer elements of the front wing.

5. sainaa said on 20th January 2009, 15:44

This is the best looking so far.

• Gheen said on 21st January 2009, 1:26

I agree. I like the livery and the nose design, and when viewed at an angle, like on those pics, it looks great!

6. I think this is gorgeous – every season I become a little bit more of a BMW fan – if they actually have made this fast and at at forefront of the field then I think I’m going to become an outright BMW fan. They’d be legends!

7. Seedy001 said on 20th January 2009, 15:55

Its interesting to read the reactions of people here since most people like it but hated the interim car. Yet I agree with Sumedh – it’s hardly changed! And it does seem quite simple: no sneaky bargeboards, turning vanes and its not as tightly packaged at the rear as, say, the Ferrari or Williams.

The only things to note are that its the 2nd two-element front flap wing and that the nose is quite wide like Williams and Renault.

I guess they might be holding quite a bit back…

8. ajokay said on 20th January 2009, 17:11

On a side note, it seems as if Quick Nick has been at his helmet with a green felt-tip.

9. Kubica said on 20th January 2009, 17:30

My feeling is that the pieces on the show car aren’t going to be raced. Often, the teams just put on a basic wing, aero configuration for the show car so the team doesn’t give away their design too early. I can’t see why Rampf is so excited about the new front wing, it looks very plain. I agree with everyone that out all of the cars displayed so far, the McLaren looks the most developed by far. Personally, I like the livery of BMWs, the pearl blue with white is simple and elegant. As an avid BMW Sauber fan, I hope that this car can actually take them to a title, at least allow them to contend for one.

10. Oh you’re serious! Amazing!

I totally agree that we needed more wheel to wheel racing, and overtaking was near impossible and all that. But F1 is the pinnacle, the top of the line, and the form of the cars has to be determined by their function, and last years cars were the culmination of 50 years of development in many areas. They just cut aero off just like that! And we ended with slicker looking cars, but also underdeveloped, plain, dull, and boring ones. They really look like any other lower formulae.

Why couldn’t just put slicks on and get on with the thing is beyond me.

Here’s an interesting idea, lets have a vote but considering our ages, I bet most of the people that like the new cars are above 35, and the ones that like last years are below 35… or something like that.

11. Nefastis said on 20th January 2009, 19:00

One of the best looking car developed under new rules and introduced so far. And it seems like BMW-Sauber is well ahead of other teams in terms of testing new spec. Kubica covered 73 laps today without any technical issues on a dry track:-)

12. looks like last years car but a little bit different…

lets move to a new era,take of the wings (overtaking)
    and put a big shark fin on the engine cover (sponsors)
    wings are so old school and no good for racing

• LOL! :-) Then Renault can use the NYC cab design and paint scheme :-) Extreme cost cutting that is, besides cabs put on a good show and Hollywood likes them :-)

13. now i’m excited!!

14. Heidfeld tends to have better helmets than most (and like Kimi, he changes it every season) and after two boring schemes, this one goes straight up the grid. Nice lid.

15. staggaington said on 21st January 2009, 12:40

i think it can do worlds of good if they just made the front wing more curvy and not as bulky!

16. Red Bull RB5 – 2009 F1 car is looking much better then this model …
    not much difference in the looks as from last years model