Quiz: Can you name that race?

Mark Webber in the French Grand Prix

Mark Webber in the French Grand Prix

I’ve just finished putting together lap charts for each of the races from 2008 to go into the statistics section. But then I hit upon the idea of turning them into a quiz.

How many of last year’s races can you name by looking at the lap charts? Let anorak battle commence!

Click to enlarge and see each full chart:

Before posting this I couldn’t decide whether it was insanely hard or insultingly easy, but I guess I’ll find out the answer to that in the comments…

Here’s a few hints to get you started:

• Look at the number of laps and number of drivers
  • Safety car periods are easy to spot
  • Late changes of position are easy to remember
  • Surprisingly, some of the most boring races are among the easiest to spot

Can you name them all? Post your answers below. I’ll upload the finished charts later.

Enjoyed this post? You can vote for it on Digg, submit it to Stumbleupon, or share it with the rest of the world using the social sites below.

59 comments on Quiz: Can you name that race?

1. ajokay said on 27th January 2009, 13:53

I think this is the most anoraky thing i’ve ever seen… it’s awesome.

I don’t think I could name any, but number 10 had a sweet first-lap accident.

2. GooddayBruce said on 27th January 2009, 14:01

My answers are the same as Steffen’s (honest)

Is the lap chart for Turkey wrong? I’m sure Hamilton finished second in that one and his line (the one with the extra stop) finishes in third.

Good idea for a quiz – although it is likely to appeal only to geeks like me.

• Journeyer said on 27th January 2009, 14:16

Nope, it looks right. Lewis’ extra stop was in the middle of the race. Kimi was the last of the frontrunners to stop, and he came out behind Lewis.

3. Kester said on 27th January 2009, 14:12

1 – Singapore
    2 – Spa
    9 – Hungry
    10 – Australia

4. Think just a lap chart is too hard to guess, maybe a in words would be easlier and more interesting. Such as just describing how 2 drivers overtake and each other with a backmarker..

5. muckymuck said on 27th January 2009, 15:45

Keith, one chart at a time next time! My eyes are hurting me…

Are you into BMW these days? This is the 6th time a BMW has been your post pic out of the last 10 posts!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th January 2009, 19:32

Indeed I have! Well, I’ve changed the image on this one now, but the next image on a post is going to be a BMW as well. I’m not particularly a fan though, and I’ll try to balance things out more in future…

• muckymuck said on 27th January 2009, 19:55

I don’t blame you with the BMW pics – they match your website real well. Actually as much as I hated the interim car when it first came out, there’s something charming about the F1.09…that blue paint is quite nice. Still hate the front wing though.

By the way, I think I’m starting to see a 3-D image in the charts above…

6. PatrickL said on 27th January 2009, 16:20

13 Italian
    14 British
    15 Turkey
    16 Germany
    17 Canada
    18 European

Same as posted before actually.

I think chart number 7 is incorrect though. Davidson is shown to be finished 2 laps down, but the results say he was only one lap down.

7. Wow,, Kieth, I thought you were busy before,, now I’m just wondering if the OCD is paying off.
    Wow! (tell me at least it was just trimming off the numbers from photoshop and not you knitting position vs.lap all year!)

Great job,, I’ll need to sit down with this one and peruse it at home.

Any shots at an official F1 race drinking game .pdf card to print out for the season? (also everyone will need to pitch in with regional additions for their home broadcasters I’d guess as well).

8. antonyob said on 27th January 2009, 17:21

OMG! the anorak has finally eaten itself! keith, a new low or a new high, i cant work out which

9. Pedro Andrade said on 27th January 2009, 17:22

14.Silverstone
    15.Turkey
    16.Germany
    17.Canada
    18.Valência

Yay, second! :)

Keith: This is the second time I’m posting this. The first time around the comment didn’t appear, and somehow I can edit antonyob’s comment! Maybe because we posted at the same time?

11. DanielPT said on 27th January 2009, 17:26

I also say that 09 is Hungary.

12. Chalky said on 27th January 2009, 17:35

Well I went through it and I’m with Steffen.
    Same answers.

13. PatrickL said on 27th January 2009, 17:39

Not sure what happened to my post again.

I agree with Steffen.

• Steffen said on 27th January 2009, 23:00

Yep! And Piquet actually finished on the lead lap in P11 whereas the chart indicates he’s a lap down.

14. DanielPT said on 27th January 2009, 17:39