Hamilton is top F1 driver on Facebook – but Valentino Rossi thrashes them all

Valentino Rossi has a Facebook fanbase to dwarf every F1 driver's

Valentino Rossi has a Facebook fanbase to dwarf every F1 driver's

For all the stick Lewis Hamilton gets on the internet, he’s not short of a fan or two as these stats from Facebook show.

But Hamilton would lose his status as most popular F1 driver on Facebook immeditaely if Valentino Rossi’s much-rumoured switch to Ferrari came true…

F1 driver popularity on Facebook (click to enlarge)

F1 driver popularity on Facebook (click to enlarge)

Driver Facebook fans Percentage
Rubens Barrichello 753 0.14
Giancarlo Fisichella 663 0.12
Adrian Sutil 457 0.08
Takuma Sato 284 0.05
Kazuki Nakajima 179 0.03
Anthony Davidson 0 0.00

Lewis Hamilton has more fans on Facebook than all the other drivers who participated in 2008 put together. In fact, none of the other drivers have more fans than Ayrton Senna (158,669) or Michael Schumacher (171,033).

But another motor racing star makes Hamilton’s total seem paltry by comparison: Valentino Rossi, who is heading for the one million mark with 923,552 fans.

A quick way for Hamilton to make up the ground to Rossi would be to successfully land an airliner on the Hudson river. That propelled Captain C.B. Sully Sullenberger 536,579 fans in a matter of days.

Poor Anthony Davidson doesn’t seem to have a fan page. And I assume Facebook isn’t very popular in Japan, as Takuma Sato and Kazuki Nakajima have fewer fans than F1 Fanatic does.

To put the whole list into perspective, the Facebook user with the most fans is Barack Obama, with 4,721,908 supporters. None of the F1 drivers are more popular than cult ’80s kids TV show Thundercats.

This post is just intended as a bit of fun – not a serious study of which F1 drier has the most fans! I’ve no idea how big Facebook is in Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen’s home countries, which could explain why they haven’t got as many votes as their fellow world champion.

When we did a poll of the most popular drivers among F1 Fanatic readers Robert Kubica won by miles thanks to a massive influx of voters from Poland.

Are you a fan of any F1 drivers or teams on Facebook? Which ones?

Join F1 Fanatic on Facebook here: F1 Fanatic Facebook Group. We only need 28 more recruits to beat Adrian Sutil!

31 comments on Hamilton is top F1 driver on Facebook – but Valentino Rossi thrashes them all

1. Too Good said on 29th January 2009, 13:13

Hmmm… Thanks for letting know there are fan communities for these guys on face book.
    Alain Prost,JPM,Sato,Jacques Villeneuve here I come :)

2. Ouch for Davidson.

Although I just looked up Anthony Davidson, and I couldn’t find his “page” (where you subscribe to be a fan) – there’s only a Supporters Group, and that does have 47 members. OK, so he’s still last, but it sounds so much better than a big fat nought!

I’m amazed that Anthony Davidson has a ‘hate’ group too – only 5 members, but wow…

3. ajokay said on 29th January 2009, 13:47

To be fair, you’d have to be one helluva driver to be more popular than Thundercats.

If McLaren signed Lion-o… man… I’d hate to think.

4. Spiffy said on 29th January 2009, 14:14

Any particular reason Alonso’s pie chart colour is red? ;) You know something we don’t, don’t you?

THIS JUST IN: ALONSO IS GOING TO FERRARI I know ‘cos it said so in a roundabout way in a Facebook-related pie chart.

5. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th January 2009, 14:18

Actually I’ve just realised that what I thought was the Timo Glock fan page is actually a hate page, so I’ll have to change the numbers above. I’m not sure there is a fan page for Glock. Depressing to see so many people falling for that conspiracy theory claptrap.

6. S Hughes said on 29th January 2009, 14:45

How awful that people take the trouble to set up hate pages (the Glock one is probably established by Alonso/Ferrari fans). I can’t stand Alonso, but I wouldn’t take the time out of my day to post comments on a hate site. The unofficial Lewis fan site continually has to delete offensive comments from “haters”. What sort of people are these?

7. @ S Hughes – yeah, it sure is tedious sometimes. I prefer to have clean & positive language in the comments. Unfortunately the forum had to be closed for this very reason.

@ Keith, dude, you’ve got a super site – keep it going!

8. Shahriar said on 29th January 2009, 17:01

Yeaaaai…. i made the Kubica Fan page :D:D:D:D
    only 2.33% though :(
    but neways me feeling so guud :D

9. I checked on polish website nasza-klasa.pl (similar to Facebook but a lot more popular in my country) and Kubica’s most popular fansite there has 188k supporters.

10. Poor anthony! If I could stomach facebook I’d have gone and found him so that he could have at least one fan.

11. You could use Google’s keyword tool to see how popular google searches are for each driver.. y’know if you’re that way inclined :D

12. S Hughes said on 29th January 2009, 17:25

Rob, how do you do that please?

13. Flip & Fill said on 29th January 2009, 18:32

I’m not surprised about Rossi being so far ahead, he’s one of the most charismatic sportsmen in the world.
    Add in his talent and the fact he puts a lot of time into his official fan club and it’s easy to see why so many people like him.

The guy puts a lot of time into meeting his fans, I met him at a race a few years back and he spent at least 2 hours talking to a large group of fans and he made a special effort to take pictures with every kid who was there.
    This wasn’t a pre-arranged thing, he was just walking around with a couple of his engineers and they stopped to talk.

Hamilton is one of those drivers who has managed to connect with the general public, most drivers don’t really do this outside of their own country but Lewis is massive all over the world.
    An American cousin of mine told me that his friends at school were asking him about Lewis when he came into the sport and these were kids that had never even mentioned F1 before.

• S Hughes said on 29th January 2009, 18:43

Flip & Fill, how heartwarming to hear that about Lewis, but he charms everyone who meets him and his popularity goes beyond F1. Which is why it is so grating to hear the ill informed criticism of his character from some quarters.

14. I m going to create a new Group called F1 pitbabes :P and I’ll put a sexy pic for the Group and you’ll see the magic:P

Thanks Keith nice statistic :)

15. completely agree with “Flip & Fill” – rossi gets in amongst his fans, and he really appreciates them…

in complete contrast to the stuffy, staid, personality-less clones in F1 – who only just tolerate their fans, and only because it says so in their contracts