Max Mosley: five more years? (Poll)

Max Mosley at the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix

Max Mosley at the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix

Max Mosley is planning to run for election as president of the FIA once again this year.

Should Max Mosley remain FIA president for five more years?

• No (90%)
  • No opinion (4%)

Total Voters: 955

Loading ... Loading ...

Max Mosley was elected president of the FIA in 1991, ousting Frenchman Jean-Marie Balestre who had held the post since 1978, and after 13 years in the job his presidency was widely considered a bit long in the tooth.

But now Mosley has been heading up the FIA for 18 years and, if he completes another five-year term, by 2014 he?ll have spent 23 years in the job – a full decade longer than Balestre.

Has he been in the role too long? Has he done a good job? Would five more years of Mosley be good for Formula 1?

Max Mosley as FIA president, 1991 – ?

He has seldom been far away from controversy during his 18 years heading up the FIA. From the infamous memo at the 1993 Canadian Grand Prix declaring that all the cars were illegal, to the rush the introduce new safety measures in the wake of Ayrton Senna?s death the following year, to the Indianapolis fiasco in 2005, ??Spygate?? in 2007, and ??Spankgate?? last year, the FIA president has often made bigger headlines than the racing has.

Alongside the controversies Mosley has been at the centre of fierce debate over F1?s technical rules. He has argued that F1 must serve as a test bed for green technologies, and that other innovations should be strictly regulated to prevent costs spiralling out of control. But this could risk destroying the essence of Formula 1 and the core of its appeal.

He has made U-turns on some of the most controversial changes he introduced to F1 earlier in his tenure – such as re-introducing refuelling and banning slick tyres. I’m thrilled to see slicks returning this year and refuelling banned in 2010, but these changes should never have been made in the first place. And he certainly didn’t have the same mania for green technologies in 1999 when the FIA prevented McLaren from using an early KERS on their cars.

If he does stand for election again, his victory is surely a guarantee, as was made clear last year when he easily survived a confidence vote of the FIA senate following the sadomasochism scandal.

During the scandal he appealed to many people who considered voting against him by saying he would step down in 2009. It’s hardly surprising to see him go back on his word, especially as he did exactly the same when he first promised to step down in 2004.

Should he stand again? Who would make a better president of the FIA? Would we miss him if he left? Have your say in the comments.

Read more about Max Mosley: Max Mosley biography

Image (C) Red Bull / GEPA

41 comments on Max Mosley: five more years? (Poll)

1. Yorricksfriend said on 5th February 2009, 19:39

I think the votes speak for themselves

2. steve said on 5th February 2009, 20:14

Now ask about Bernie – time to go too. Lets have people running this sport who understand the times in which we live.

• paul flynn said on 4th June 2009, 23:42

A HUGE BROVO TO (STEVE) YOUR SO RIGHT MAN,ITS TIME
      LOOSE THE DUM DUEO.THERE IN IT FOR THEMSELFS.
      WE NEED SOME ONE FROM WITH IN THE SPORT.
      A PERSON,WITH BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE TEAMS.
      I SAY,FIND REPLACEMENTS THAT GIVE A DAME FOR FI.

PAUL FLYNN

3. Too Good said on 5th February 2009, 20:39

All – Didn’t I tell in various discussions on this forums,all that stance for cost cutting, making sports viable, better share of profits to teams, were standard ploy which Spanky Max uses to Size up all the teams and get them on his side.

Once elected he will forget about all these initiatives till next elections, and go on his implementing his own whims till next election time… And wait somewhere mid-term he will definitely give public a false hope by public statements about walking into Sunset.

Old Trick of Old Dog. This time around what that has accomplished is FOTA on his side and Bernie against him, things will change once he gets new term

4. Terry Fabulous said on 5th February 2009, 20:47

Keith shouldn’t the three options be:
    1. Yes
    2. No Opinion
    and
    3. Dear god No!

• Eddie Irvine said on 5th February 2009, 21:02

I think that Max will raise the issue to the FIA council and the options will be
      a.Of course
      b.Absolutely
      c.Need for poll?, sure
      d.Yes, he hasn’t passed away yet
      e.Forza Ferrari!!!
      f.Yes, but he should increse the staff with more secreteries in order to perform better
      h.No, My name is……..and you can fire me without any thought.

Max for president…Yes he can!!!

• beneboy said on 5th February 2009, 21:05

Number 3 was my first reaction !

• ajokay said on 6th February 2009, 13:42

Really, the options should be

1 – No
      2 – No
      3 – No

5. The Limit said on 5th February 2009, 20:48

I voted against him staying and I think it is disgusting that he still has his job after the last scandal broke. To be perfectly honest, I never was a big fan of the late Mr Balestre, but Max Mosley during the last five years has made too many enemies.
    To his credit back in the 1990s, Mosley did make F1 safer in the years after Senna and Ratzenberger were killed, but that now seems a very long time ago.
    To be honest, Mosley now is a bit of a joke. He has lost all his credibility, and in doing so, has seriously damaged the image of the FIA and F1.
    The FIA should, in my opinion, have a president for no more than two four year terms, regardless of their
    popularity.
    Mosley, and others around him believe that the masses will always follow their sport because its F1, and that is not the case. They are in a market like all others, were there is fierce competition, and if F1 is not very carefull, it will lose out badly.
    Never was there a better time than in 2008 for a change of the guard, and the powers at be let it pass. It could turn out to be the biggest mistake in the sports history.

6. Perhaps the most one-sided poll in F1 Fanatic history- it truly shows the opinion of the fans.

7. I’m actually surprised at how many voted yes. I would’ve thought they’d have at least a good reason to voice.

8. arthur954 said on 5th February 2009, 21:05

Anyone that irritates Bernie has my vote, so I say YES to Mosley for five more years. At least he seems to have strong opinions – it would be the end of our sport if there was a FIA chief that did not stand up to Bernie.
    I support a FIA-teams union against Bernie. As for rules, there is nothing that FIA and the teams cannot agree to in a reasonable way if they so wish.

9. Well it all depends on who the other choices might be. Yes I’d like Max to go, but not if it means we might get Jean Todt (or any other ex-team principal for that matter) as his replacement.

Also in 2005 the FIA set rules stating that no president can serve more than 2 terms – so why doesn’t that apply to Max? (I guess he’d say that the new 2-term rule only applies to FIA presidents post-2005).

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th February 2009, 22:36

Agreed. I thought Ron Dennis was spot on when he said the other week that it’s not a job for any former principal to do.

10. Scott Joslin said on 5th February 2009, 22:57

Gah! I am torn here, and undecided – excuse me if I go round and round in circles on this one.

I have come to resent some of the negative elements of Max’s character of which unfortunately I know rather too much than I should, but that’s like politics – you become irritated with the current bunch running the show that you soon realise that the next lot are just as bad as the others.

Max is a strong character and has driven through serious initiatives before.

I think the most serious issue facing the governing body
    today is to save the sport for Financial Armageddon.

Bernie seems to be rather ignorantly pushing on to squeeze everyone for the last million out there and it has caused casualties – Canada, France & Silverstone.

I tend to think if we look back at Max’s significant strategies that he has pushed through for F1 they are always reactionary and are always a little too late.

The safety measures imposed as a result of the 1994 season were too late. Too late to save 2 drivers lives. The cost reduction programe is another example of Max’s fire fighting approach to F1, only when Honda were on the brink did Max start to really enforce his power on FOTA and play his hand.

And there is that Ferrari love-in that Max seems to enjoy which, despite being denied is always on display.

Until I know who is next in line I am going to sit on the fence here. f1 needs a rudder to direct it through these times, and unfortunately Max has positioned himself in Ivory towers that means serious challengers to the position are nullified before they can build any serious momentum.

Are there any serious candidates out there?? Seriously?

• I would have thought there were several good candidates within the FIA structure, if only they were to speak up without their least pro-change-of-leader utterance resulting in them losing their power.

• Don’t forget Indianapolis on the list of casualties- indeed, the refusal of Max to allow a reasonable comprimise did great damage to the event and to F1 in general. While I would place the blame for those lost venues far more on Bernie than Max, he has done nothing to help the cause.

11. Steven Roy said on 5th February 2009, 23:22

arthur954,

Max gave Bernie the commercial rights to F1 for a fraction of their commercial value. Why do you think he annoys Bernie? He is working for Bernie and Bernie is looking after him very nicely.

Max has been a failure since the start. He is painted as the great safety guru and I am frankly amazed to hear people still repeat this. Take the Senna crash. Senna hit an unprotected stone wall at high speed. The FIA should have protected him from that. This was blatantly obvious because a few years earlier Nelson Piquet hit the same wall at high speed and was very lucky to walk away from it. After that Gerhard Berger hit the wall and his car burst into flames live on TV. No action whatever was taken by the FIA. If Max had been remotely interested in safety he would have been screaming for something so obvious to be dealt with and when elected he should have made sure it was.

Imagine you were in his shoes that weekend in 1994. Two drivers have died and another is in hospital. It would be insane to do anything other than push safety. All he did was push safety to protect himself.

Since then despite talking about it he seems to have forgotten the basics. We have had a night race which is unnecessarily risky and now we have KERS which seems to be a much higher risk than anticipated.

Max has failed on safety. He has also failed the FIA financially. He sold 100 years of commercial rights to F1 for $300 million. Name me another sport that has sold 100 years of commercial rights. Name me another sport that only allows one person to negotiate to buy those commercial rights. Imagine if they were sold on the open market 5 years at a time what they would have been worth.

Max has also failed miserably on improving racing and overtaking and worse than that still hasn’t a clue how to do it.

He switched to a formula which put the emphasis on aero grip over mechanical grip and had grooved tyres because that would give better racing. Now we are switching to a formula which places the emphasis on mechanical grip over aero grip and puts slick tyres back on the car in place of the grooves. He has just done the polar opposite of his previous strategy to achieve the same aim. It is insane.

The sooner he goes the sooner the FIA can be reformed and the sooner a proper investigation can be carried out into the deal to sell the commercial rights. Remember when Max had his little indiscretion and the vote of confidence. He said they should vote for him because he was the only person who could re-negotiate that agreement. Have we heard of any re-negotiations since? No because the man is a liar. At his vote of confidence he said he would not stand for re-election again and now he will because he is a liar.

The interesting thing is at the original negotiations for the sal of the commercial rights he disqualified himself from participating on the grounds of conflict of interest. So what happened to that conflict of interest that allows him to re-negotiate? Or was he just lying again.

• Arthur954 said on 6th February 2009, 15:28

I did not know about the sell of the commercial rights — that is the key issue then. Whoever can look into this issue and hopefully do something about it, gets my vote as head of the FIA.
      Thanks for the info – I am rather new to the world of F1

• I am also still new to F1, and the tragic events of Imola 1994 happened when I was very young. I diden;t realise the scope of the deal Max gave Bernie on the commercial rights- that could be a scandal in itself when you think about it. Also, I never knew about the previous crashes until mentioned here. All of your points are very valid, and give everyone more reasons to vote no on the issue.

12. Arnet said on 6th February 2009, 1:12

Steven, please, tell us what you really think! Couldn’t agree with you more. At this point it’s 17 votes in favour. It would be interesting to hear more reasons from that camp.

13. eamon said on 6th February 2009, 2:52

I clicked “no” because I am sick of his antics, expecting for most people to click yes! Boy was I surprised!

14. Whewbacca the Cookie said on 6th February 2009, 6:19

Along with all but a few I voted no too… I think Mosley (especially lately) has been tarnishing the image of F1. His departure would be a positive move if not necessary.

15. Christian Briddon said on 6th February 2009, 8:20

Good things Mosley has done :

When Senna and Ratzenberger were both killed in the same weekend the world went to Senna’s funeral when they were held on the same day. Mosley went to Ratzenbergers.

Improved Safety

Bad things Mosley has done :

He is still alive
    Everything else.

• Ratzenberger’s funeral was a day after Senna and some drivers (Herbert, Berger) attended both funerals, which Mosley could also have done.

• I always gave him credit for going to Ratzenberger’s funeral as well, but I did not know about some people going to both. The rest of your post is quite blunt, but gets to the point.