Red Bull RB5 sneak preview in video

Red Bull’s RB5 won’t be launched until Monday but a video released today hints at what we can expect from their 2009 F1 car.

Sebastian Vettel narrates the video, but Mark Webber is expected to return to the cockpit next Wednesday.

The rendering of the RB5 seen in this video has flow deflectors ahead of the side pods just as the Ferrari F60, Toyota TF109 and Williams FW31 do.

Other than that, the car shown in this video doesn’t look especially radical. Whether this shows the final car in any great detail or not we’ll have to wait until Monday to find out.

Pictures and video from the 2009 F1 car launches.

Red Bull RB5 video still (click to enlarge)

Red Bull RB5 video still (click to enlarge)

33 comments on Red Bull RB5 sneak preview in video

1. Cameron said on 6th February 2009, 19:08

I’m not so sure Webber was right in calling it the most beautiful F1 car. I’ll have to see some photos later to judge it compared to the other 2009 cars.

2. Uppili said on 6th February 2009, 19:31

I really think, the car looks beautiful if its anywhere close to the final spec car we will see at Melbourne.

3. Damon said on 6th February 2009, 19:36

I’m not so sure Webber was right in calling it the most beautiful F1 car

Whereas I’m convinced he was wrong. The noses are ugly – way too high.

4. Robert McKay said on 6th February 2009, 19:44

I like the one on the left, hopefully they’ll turn up in Melbourne in that :-D

• patrickl said on 7th February 2009, 0:19

Driving backwards?

This was actually a pretty popular type of racing in The Netherlands during the eighties.

These DAF cars had CVT so they could go as fast (or rather as slow) in reverse as forwards.

Williams tried to get CVT into Formula 1, but it was banned. Otherwise we could have seen these things do 300km/h in reverse. Or whatever speed it takes for them to lift off :)

5. Richard said on 6th February 2009, 20:27

I really like the slight groove on the top of the nose, in the video version, extra downforce???, Adrian Newey has made a good looking car here i think.

6. Pete Walker said on 6th February 2009, 20:30

With the video being made available just a few days ahead of the cars launch, I’d suggest that could be pretty much what we can expect.

I quite like it. The nose looks sharp and aggressive and I like the shoulders where it arcs over the front suspension line. The BMW Sauber’s nose looks like a duckbill platypus by comparison.

Typical Newey to come up with something rather striking. :)

7. chaostheory said on 6th February 2009, 21:19

I would like to see an F1 PC game on that engine ;)

8. patrickl said on 6th February 2009, 22:08

Webber didn’t just claim that it was the best looking car, but also that it was very different.

I guess he’s talking about a “very different” nose then? The rest of the car (in the clip) doesn’t look all that different.

9. Webber was right. Best looking car so far this year.

10. ajokay said on 6th February 2009, 23:35

What a great video, sums up all the new changes for this coming season visually.

Very well animated, especially how the car evolves into the new one.

They advertise KERS too, seems like they have theirs on board.

• They’re using Renault’s KERS, so I’d guess it’s more of putting an optimistic view on the video — it’s supposed to feature the car fully functional, not as it is.

11. Cool…

12. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. I like aesthetics, but for a team and driver if the car wins, it’s beautiful. And in turn, if it wins then I will perceive it to be more beautiful.

Except, as of yet anyway, I cannot say any 2009 car is beautiful – least of all this mockup.

13. nice video, wonder how much they spent on that !

14. mar-E-o said on 7th February 2009, 8:09

I wonder why the FIA never thought of making a film like that to explain the rule changes. Clear , non technical, fun to watch.
    I think the car on monday will not look identically to the one in the film because making a 3D movie like that you need a lot of time and the car is only just read. or did they wait 3 weeks with the launch just to create the movie ?

15. Yorricksfriend said on 7th February 2009, 8:20

heres the youtube link to the vid if you want to embed it keith, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJ-tcz1bME