Red Bull RB5 officially revealed

F1 pictures

Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car

Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car

The Red Bull RB5 broke cover today – it’s the seventh 2009 F1 car to be revealed.

See below for more pictures of the Adrian Newey-designed RB5.

We got a sneak peek of the RB5 last week when Red Bull issued a promotional video which also explains the key technical changes for 2009.

2009 Formula 1 cars

Images (C) Red Bull / Getty

72 comments on Red Bull RB5 officially revealed

1 2 3 4
  1. This is indeed one of the best-looking cars for 2009. And some interesting features, too: the two long and narrow buldges on the nose cone, the bargeboards (?) just in front of the sidepods, and the very low rear of the sidepods.

And Vettel and Webber look really tough in those pics, too. ;)

2. Not bad, certainly looks better in photos than it does in 3D! Could’ve done with more photos, but I guess their budget went on making 3D animations!

Looks wise, I’d slot it inbetween the Ferrari and McLaren.

3. Nice car.
    Its definatley one of the better looking cars this year
    I think Red Bull will be much better in 2009 with Vettel at the wheel of the RB5

4. Adrian said on 9th February 2009, 8:45

Love it, definately the best looking 09 car (so far, but I don’t see Force India doing better and we may never see Honda’s design)…

Interesting engine cover design too…

5. Jordy - The Egg Man said on 9th February 2009, 8:53

Is this how the new RedBull can will look like?….much easier to hold

But I don’t like the taste of Red Bull….anyway I only drink the sugar free version.

I wish you all a great week

jordy

6. I like it too… looks different but interesting! There are really more good looking cars than expected

1. Ferrari
    2. McLaren
    3. Williams
    4. RedBull
    5. BMW

7. Looks pretty, yes! Even the oversized front wing somehow fits (might be the photographer’s smart angles though).

Some key differences I spot:
    * the nose goes really high up. Hope this will be OK for the drivers
    * the sidepods are really slim at the back
    * the front suspension and under the nose -will be interesting to see some more detail
    * The A1-style engine cover

Hmmm… :-)

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th February 2009, 9:20

It’s got the sidepod wings too, and flips on the front wing mounted inside the front endplates.

9. Andrew White said on 9th February 2009, 9:28

According to Autosport, Newey said he had to shift the weight distribution more to the front because of the change to slicks…

I didn’t realise he meant making a massive front wing!

10. Jacob said on 9th February 2009, 9:36

is it just me or are the rear wheels much farther back, toward the rear wing than the other 2009 competitors

11. David said on 9th February 2009, 9:38

Interesting, really, in particular the very high and thin front section.
    One of the best looking, I agree. I hope it is fast too, because it could be a very interesting competition. I don’t like Ferari-McLaren duel to last so long.

12. Seedy001 said on 9th February 2009, 10:00

Overall a good-looking and fairly original design, but thats what you expect from Mr Newey.

No photos of their diffuser though, huh?!!

13. bialy said on 9th February 2009, 10:00

Similar to Ferrari.Especially front wing shape and nose.

14. I think if they went back to the huge rear slicks of the early 90’s then the cars would look the business.

15. Where are Webber’s crutches?

1 2 3 4