Red Bull RB5 officially revealed

F1 picturesPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car
Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car

The Red Bull RB5 broke cover today – it’s the seventh 2009 F1 car to be revealed.

See below for more pictures of the Adrian Newey-designed RB5.

We got a sneak peek of the RB5 last week when Red Bull issued a promotional video which also explains the key technical changes for 2009.

2009 Formula 1 cars

Images (C) Red Bull / Getty

72 comments on “Red Bull RB5 officially revealed”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3
  1. Yorricksfriend
    9th February 2009, 11:12

The rear wing sideplates, I can’t remember the proper term for them, they seem to go down further than on any of the other 09 cars

1. the endplates attach to the top of the rear diffuser, which is a fantastic design exploitation.

2. Yorricksfriend
      9th February 2009, 15:50

so thats the thinking behind that, thanks

2. liquidmetal99
    9th February 2009, 11:30

looks pretty neat! theyve always had the better aesthetic sense out of the lot :)

3. Looks pretty good. I’d say it looks more “lean” than the other cars which does a lot for the aesthetics.

4. I was hoping for at least one car having a low nose this year :(

5. Isn’t the nose really narrow – you wouldn’t think there was any strength there!
    These studio pics make it look like a model kit – stick a large whip aerial on it and its an R/C car :-)

1. Indeed. I can’t understand the trade off for having such slender members – ok the wind tunnel tests give optimal speed, but in a race, these are just going to break after even the slightest of nudges.

Perhaps 0.01secs a lap, but I think the balance is going to cost them.

2. Yeah especially if you compare it to the Renault’s.

slender members

Wow. I really hope that phrase doesn’t catch on.

3. Yorricksfriend
      9th February 2009, 15:52

HAHA well now that you’ve said that Keith there’s a possibility it might

4. slender members – the drivers surely?

6. This car is beautiful, easily the best looking of the year. And I can’t see the Force India beating it.

7. Beautiful car; but as always, other teams will start stealing ideas from RB5.

8. I wish they would ban those aero wheel covers, so that the wheels could be painted in any colour

9. Great looking car, still think the mclaren has the edge on it though in the looks department. Just hope the RB car is fast and reliable straight out of box, will be nice to see them mixing it with mclaren and ferrari.

10. nice vent ‘zip’ around the base of the side pods! Is this legal?

1. My bad – I think it might just be the patterning catching the light

11. New pictures of the car on-track added above.

12. Horner says: “With such a big regulation change, it is quite interesting the different approaches that the teams have taken,” Horner told reporters at Jerez. “Strategically, we decided to take a little bit more time in the tunnel and always focused on launching today.”

With most of the teams that launched in January getting comperatively little running done, particularly those that went to Portimao, have Red Bull done the right thing here by delaying their launch to spend more time on the concept of the car rather than running it?

13. It looks sleek slim and fast with a long thin javelin like nose…

14. Work on the track lets you have more details on setup, understand immediatelly mistakes in designing, discover first develop areas and comprare with other teams.
    Work at home lets you refine design choices, rely on optimized gallery and experimental data, copy the others while not being copied and having more space to develop the car towards the end of the season.

My decision would be case by case. If my team had a promising breakthrough idea I’d accept to manifacture the car later…

15. StrFerrari4Ever
    9th February 2009, 16:07

Wow i have to say Red Bull have done an amazing job its so beautiful and from reading the aerodynamic points made on f1 websites Newey has done it again very innovative i hope the other teams dont take advantage of it and benefit more then RBR and interesting point that they can cool their engine better cause of those 2 opening flaps im just waiting now for the STR4 hopefully Red Bull can do the same thing with the cooling for STR since the Ferrari engine will need a lot of cooling i cant wait this season is shaping up to be one for the history books wait till you see the STR4 you will all be amazed mark my words

16. Gearbox problems hit the RB5’s first test:

1. Haven’t Red Bull had this problem for, like, ever?

Seriously, they need to sort out their reliability problems more than their speed. Or maybe a change in luck, as I’m sure Webber would agree.

2. In fairness they were a lot better last year.

17. Does anyone know any site with today’s testing photoes and times in jerez??

1. Here for photos:

Not sure about times, I think it was a closed “private” Test. The other teams arrive tomorrow – correct me if I am wrong guys.

2. Thanks scott

3. Yep there’s more teams testing tomorrow. Schedule here: F1 Fanatic Calendar

18. Captain Caveman
    9th February 2009, 16:49

After looking at the car, I would have to say that it is very attractive and the most pleasing on the eye so far.

One thing that comes to mind is that of what seems to be a very very high noseā€¦ it would appear that the drivers feet will be above their hips so I can see this being a very tiring car to drive.

In fact I seem to recall that Brundell referenced many years ago driving a Adrian Newey car and having to stop because of exhaustion due to lack of circulation to his feet.

Anyone else recall this?

19. i like this one.. !! dont so keen on any of the others but we will see what happens :)

1. Mandev theorum
      9th February 2009, 17:12

I completely agree with you there, Hertforshire COTY 2009. Well done. Good analysis.

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3