HD channel to show F1 in Australia

Australians are to get a new dedicated sports channel that could show Formula 1 in HD.

ONE, a new channel launched by Network Ten, promises “live and extended coverage of the Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix over the launch weekend with more than 22 hours of action across Friday, Saturday and Sunday.” Few other Grands Prix broadcast at anything like normal hours for Australian fans.

The channel will broadcast both in high definition and standard definition, but has not annuounced that F1 will be broadcast in HD.

Earlier this year director of BBC Sport Roger Mosey confirmed the BBC would not be screening F1 in HD. He said: “F1 won?t be available in HD though we?d very much like it to be.” As BBC has HD broadcasting capabilities, this seems to suggest the obstacle to F1 appearing in HD is FOM.

Australia’s readiness to broadcast F1 in HD could be good news for F1 fans in other countries, as it gives Bernie Ecclestone a greater incentive to offer high definition footage.

Rival motor racing series such as NASCAR and A1 Grand Prix are already broadcast in HD, NASCAR having adopted the technology in 2005.

Are you an F1 fan in Australia? What does this new channel mean for you?

Thanks to Terry Fabulous for the tip

More on F1 in HD

34 comments on HD channel to show F1 in Australia

1. Brendan said on 17th February 2009, 18:46

So the list of countries that upconvert F1 and show it on HD channels: USA (Speed HD), Australia (ONE), Japan (FujiTV CSHD), Austria (ORF), Canada (TSN HD?) and the BBC should have access to BBC HD if they had an HD source.

So get with it Bernie!

2. Eddie Irvine said on 17th February 2009, 18:51

Does anyone know if there would be any live feed for outside uk online viewers, I remember an old article of you Keith suggesting that restrict measures will be taken by BBC in order to prevent this, is this the route that the others channels will follow??

3. I have to be honest and say I personally don’t give a flying damn about HD, although I do understand that other people might feel differently, and why that might be.

If I can watch sport on the telly, fine. If not the radio does me very well – the masterful Test Match Special being the obvious example of TV coverage simply being rendered obsolete – or even the BBC’s live text services. A lot of our racing coverage we watch on streaming feeds over the net.

For me the glory of sport (and I’m a follower of a lot of different sport apart from motor racing) is the drama and the narrative it generates. And you don’t need HD to enjoy that.

Any boxing fan listening to the Kessler-Calzaghe fight b back in 2007, broadcast in the middle of the night, and experiencing the incredible tension of wondering whether our man could keep upright and prevail against an incredibly tough opponent will know exactly what I mean.

4. Channel 10 showed most of, if not all the races on upscaled HD in 2008. The good thing with the HD broadcast was the races were shown live, F1 race starts in Europe are usually 10pm Sydney time and the delayed coverage would often start after 11 – 11.30pm after the Sunday night movie/news. Hopefully, that won’t change on ONE.

It’s a pity the broadcast isn’t HD yet, but I guess ONE is F1 HD ‘ready’

I hope the extended coverage doesn’t equate to ad’s and useless commentators talking about 2009 rule changes etc. There’s plenty of support events on in Melbourne, be nice to see some of that.

• Geoff Brown said on 5th April 2010, 4:45

Most of this discussion has been about F1 coverage in HD on OneHD. I applause OneHD for their generally good coverage of motor racing, whichever genre. Which is is also good because of no local input by their useless commentators. On the Aust F1GP broadcast why didn’t they show more of the the supporting races like the Mini-challenge and the GT cars instead of that stupid bird doing those stupid interviews with those stupid wannabe celebs – absolute waste of time.

5. teamorders said on 17th February 2009, 22:50

ONE is just a rebranding of TEN HD which showed almost all the F1 GPs live in 2008. As an F1 fan living in Australia I’m not complaining, this is simply continuing a very good thing they started in 2008.

I for one DO care about HD vs. SD. It’s ridiculous that we are still having to put up with SD upscaled to HD rather than watching a native HD broadcast of F1 races.

• Australia has had rubbish coverage. Either timeshifted to like 2am or delayed telecasts.

Last year Ch10HD save us and started broadcasting GP live. But as others said it was upscaled. Sometime the Ten reporters did stories and interviews onsite and they where in HD, as was the goons in the studio. BTW we only get the ITV feed from the formation lap.

I want qualifying live – bugger HD don’t care if it’s in black and white. With the BBC and it’s iplayer; No way we get a sensible feed over the Internet.

My Mrs watches all her crappy soaps on 10HD, which will all be cut for “ONE” so she won’t be happy.

6. All I want out of this channel is live Qualy, I was happy with the live races on 10HD last year.

• Hear hear

Having the races live last year was great (cos then I used to switch over to the normal digi channel and watch it AGAIN…yes, I have a disease.

But having to stay until 1am+ for qual – I could never understand the logic when they’re just playing the same crap on both channels.It’s about time we see live qualifying on TEN HD/ONE as well
      (my apologies to all non-Australian residents for this rant).

7. Terry Fabulous said on 18th February 2009, 1:47

Hooraah!!!!

This is wonderful news.
    Please make sure that any Aussie F1 fans get on the phone the day after each telecast and tell ten what a great idea it is to show the race live.

By my reckoning, these are out start times for 2009 (I may have stufed up daylight savings so please check your local guides.) Here’s hoping Channel 10 doesn’t wuss out.

5pm Australia 29/3, China 19/4
    7pm Malaysia 5/4
    9pm Abu Dhabi 25/10
    10pm Bahrain 26/4, Spain 10/5, Monaco 24/5, Spain 7/6, Britain 21/6, Germany 12/7, Hungary 26/7, Valencia 23/8, Belgium 20/8, Italy 13/9, Singapore 27/9
    1am Brazil 19/10 (night of the 18th)

I read that as being only one red eye!!!

If they do Qually live I will be in 7th heaven.

• Has the start time for Brazil been brought forward? It was on live last year too but didn’t start until about 2:45am from memory…

• Terry Fabulous said on 18th February 2009, 5:05

I’m an idiot,

Yes Brazil is 3am not 1am
      Also, I forgot Japan at 4pm and Abu Dhabi looks like being at 10pm as well.

Some nice reviewing before I posted there eh.

Still, this should be exciting if they do them all live on ONE and then fingers crossed show us the Qually to boot.

8. Jonesracing82 said on 18th February 2009, 6:45

i am from oz as well and think they have no excuse not to show f1 quali live!
    being that ONE is supposed to be a 24/7 sport dedicated channel, then practice should be an option also as with the new “iplayer” we wont even get that streamed online at all. as far as i can tell, they are showing sprint cup this year, last year we got nationwide live (because of marcos ambrose) but he’s in sprint cup this year and we got the daytona 500 live! mind you, there was an hour and a half pre-race show! we are lucky to get 10mins b4 10HD had f1 last yr! and half of that was about mark webber getting out of bed! well almost, i wouldnt be suprised they crap on that much about him it’s not funny, they’ll be unbearable if he gets a decent car!

9. Ch10 do an awesome job. I love it that Ch10 HD has the races live & when Ch10 ONE starts, i would be very surprised if they dont show the qualies on live. The head honcho @ 10 must love his motorsport

10. Jonesracing82 said on 18th February 2009, 10:09

well 10 is self proclaimed to apparnetly be “the home of motorsport”, they must finally be realsing it’s time they acted like it

11. Jonesracing82 said on 18th February 2009, 10:57

GP2 wouldnt be a bad idea either

12. Cameron said on 18th February 2009, 11:47

HD Formula 1? Please please someone bring HD F1 to New Zealand!

13. But, the feed still won’t be HD so what’s the point? or did i get that wrong?
    In latin america if you have cable tv you can get fox sports in HD, but again, worthless when it comes to F1 as it’s just upsampled. On the good side we always get live quali/race, but pretty much no warm up or wrap up of the show, just the racing with mediocre commentators that rarely call the events properly, ie they sometimes get all excited with ‘yet another pass’ and they’re only watching a replay, they also don’t know the tyre compounds, etc.

14. Living in Australia, i think its great that we finally get a dedicated HD sports channel!

I mean i have cable, and we still dont get to see F1 live or in HD!!

Good news for Aussie F1 Fans!

GO MASSA AND GO WEBBER!

15. It would be sin really if the BBC given such an opportunity and having the resources and finances – which all in GB pay for let the chance to give us live qualifying and the race in HD?
    They have their excellent BBCI player – which i’m sure can be set for live events – correct me if wrong there – and if they can show ceebeebies(kids programs) in HD – then why not HD for the main races?
    That is one of the reasons we were all happy to see them get F1 – but it may be getting held back by the pc brigade after that looney j ross(dross)actions and clarkson – wouldnt have helped much lately either!!